Suggestions on new pistol

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by shane73, Mar 28, 2015.

1. shane73

shane73 Member

When I first came here I had a cf380. Sold that during the divorce. I'm looking for advice on a new pistol.

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

For a Hi Point I am rather partial :dance: to the JHP (45). I love big, dumb, slow bullets. :foilhat: For a bit more money (OK a lot more money) I love the M&P in either 9, 357 SIG, or (please don't take away my man card for this) 40 S&W. I also like the CZ 75 BD and you cannot go wrong with a good 1911 (not a Kimber, I said good) There are also these pistols called a Glock that some people think are pretty good. :loco: Apparently you can get a good deal on a police turn in as they switched to something better.

A bit more info about what you want to do and budget would help.

3. shane73

shane73 Member

Mainly looking for open carry for now. Don't need nothing high priced. Later on I'm going for ccw permit. Budget would be no more than $500.00

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

I know im gonna catch hell for this, but i admit, i live my Sig Sauer P290RS. I prefer a .45 but this little 9mm is a great size to carry.

Attached Files:

6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

A five spot will get you a S&W. $300 and I would look at the Taurus 800 series. Was looking at an ATI 1911 commander in 45acp today for just over $400. And a JHP/ JCP for $179.

Just a few thoughts.

7. greg_r

Nothing wrong with a Sig. Love my 938. Didn't get along well with the 290 though, my finger was contacting the frame before the trigger broke, but then l have large hands.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

And i will say, avoid the ATI commander.had an opportunity to fire several 1911s two weekends ago, that being one of them and it was highly problematic for all the shooters. Of the 5 models we shot, i give highest praise to the Taurus 1911. Super smooth feel, exceptionally well made and a great fit in the hand. Liked it so much i ordered one for myself in stainless.

9. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Nothing wrong with a Sig.

10. If money is tight. Many consider the sw sdve, taurus 24/7 and ruger p95 to be some high value deals. Also eaa witness Full size.

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I was seriously looking at those, before my Colt fell into my lap.....

12. colthrash

colthrash Member

bersa series, 380,9mm,40,or 45 to choose from

13. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

Was going to suggest it, the Smith and Wesson SD9VE I really liked on my first outing with it.

Have seen it for $349, light weight, actually I did a write up on it against my c9 and really like both

14. hp995tsfg

hp995tsfg Member

Speaking only from my own experiences, s&w revolver, Glock and Ruger SR9C, I would get the Ruger at your price point.

I picked up mine for $408 it came with a 10 and 17 round mags, with the leftover change you can get a holster too. The SR9C gives you concealed and full size options. Mine has shot every round I have fed it, all the cheap ball ammo, plus Gold dot, FTX, HYDRA SHOCK, etc.

15. greg_r

Surprised to hear that about the ATI. They normally get decent reviews, heavy trigger and light grip safety being the most common complaints. A lot of the high dollar 1911,s get their start in the Philippines.

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

It may have been a "lemon" but it definitely wasn't making any of us happy. We had a Colt, the ATI, my Kimber ultra, a fullsize Kimber, the Taurus and an Armscor (rock island) available ti us that day. The only other gun to have any issues was the kimber fullsize and only when attempting to use hollow points

17. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    I would like to recommend the Ruger 9E, a little more than a Hi Point but much less than a Glock. Its a really nice gun and shares the same lower as a regular SR9.

[​IMG]

18. greg_r

I like the 9e better than the SR9. IMHO, it has better sight positions and I like the bigger slide serrations.

19. histed

histed Supporting Member

I could recommend the SD9VE, but strongly advise you shoot the heck out of it in the first month or two. Most run just fine after a break-in, but I got one that didn't. Not impressed with S&W Customer service, either. I'm sure others here have had the opposite experience. Since you are considering a firearm for carry, I'd also suggest you consider the SCCY CPX 2. I know it get busted on for the long trigger, but try shooting one yourself. Around here they sell for around $300

20. slade601

slade601 Member

I'm still surprised by my sd9ve. I've put about 250 rounds through it so far without a problem. Brass, steel, and aluminum. I'm honestly considering not cleaning it until the first problem to see how far it'll go.