Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I introduced my .45 to an old High School buddy on Sunday. We blew through prolly 200 rds or so - great time!!

I ran the brass brush down my barrel once just for good measure, but didn't look like it needed it. Everything I was shooting was jacketed. Had a few rounds fail to chamber, but always at the top of the clip, so could easily be just the gunk of extended shooting.

He introduced me to his new .204... pretty cool rifle! He had some ballistic tips on 32 gr bullets and those lil' pills could still punch through 3/16" steel plate at 200 yards!

Just for fun I launched a 230gr FMJ through an inch or so of cardboard (to assure it didn't re-visit me) at that 3/16" steel from about 25 ft... I have NEVER seen such a flat bullet. Seriously, i bet it's not .06" thick & musty have lost 80% of it's mass on impact... barely dented the plate! Lemme know if ya want pics.

I found a few of my hollow-points too, they held onto most of their mass, but did what they were designed to do, mushroomed nicely in the damp, loose soil back drop. I can even make out which loads were which since there is just enough of the color-code paint left in the hollow.

grt time.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Moved to the proper forum.

Sounds to me as if you had a blast dude! I'd like to see the pictures of that flat bullet though.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for finding a good spot for the report, one of these days I'll figure out how this stuff works...

Some pics...
- the flat one is an easy pic fm the others, it was a 230gr FMJ but now weighs-in at 76.2gr and shows serious fragmentation on the edges. It's 0.80" across at the widest, and 0.105" thick at center.
- the HP just to the left of flattie has hints of green paint remaining, from the +P concoction.
- left of that has a bit of red still, my target load. Both HPs were 185gr, but my scale doesn't go high enough to say if they lost any mass.
- the FMJs that DIDN'T come to a sudden stop in front of a steel plate have minor scuffing.

sorry bout the pic quality, cheap camera & no macro function...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.