Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project was for my particular needs and not for the majority of shooters out there but I'll post anyway.

My suppressed 45 pistol. The Form 1 suppressor I made has different monocore baffles for different caliber firearms. The outer tube is engraved with the info from my approved form (& stamp). This way I paid for one suppressor stamp & can swap out different baffles for different rifles & pistols. I decided on the HiPoint pistol because it has a 'fixed' barrel so my suppressor doesn't need a recoil booster like Glocks & 1911's do.
I wanted a suppressed 45 (sub-sonic) for my bed-side (not concealed carry) defense gun to save my hearing if ever fired at night. I stayed with open sights & added a front site to the 10" long suppressor. Quick & easy sighting plus I did add a green laser for range fun. I saw a pistol brace made by USA 1 shot that interested me but it doesn't fit the HiPoint so I made one. It's a tight friction fit secured with my holding the gun but doesn't require any mechanical mounting. Big difference when shooting at the range. Now all this was done for my wants & needs and isn't to everyone's taste but I thought I'd post it anyway.
Photograph White Light Black Line

·
Premium Member
26,464 Posts
Got bail money?

If I'm reading the rules correctly, you can't just randomly change the caliber of your silencer without submitting a new Form 1...

Here is the actual language from the atf handbook:
—-
Q5: May a repair change the dimensions or caliber of a silencer?
A: If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer, as opposed to a repair. The new silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA. Alterations to a registered silencer that result in a minimal reduction in the overall length for purposes of rethreading are permissible as...

@FlashBang may be able to confirm...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got bail money?

If I'm reading the rules correctly, you can't just randomly change the caliber of your silencer without submitting a new Form 1...

Here is the actual language from the atf handbook:
—-
Q5: May a repair change the dimensions or caliber of a silencer?
A: If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer, as opposed to a repair. The new silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA. Alterations to a registered silencer that result in a minimal reduction in the overall length for purposes of rethreading are permissible as...

@FlashBang may be able to confirm...
I got my Form 1 approval in 2017. I've built several 'improved' versions of it (destroying the previous ones) & originally contacted ATF (in writing) with the exact question "can I make different sets of baffles to insert in my form 1 suppressor tube for different calibers" I received the answer that yes as long as I only use the 1 engraved outer tube with my assigned number & info. My first one used freeze plugs, then stacked k-cups, then stacked 60 degree cups finally I've gone to monocore baffles. I've got 2 monocore baffles, 1 with 12mm holes which I use on my .223 (& 22lr) as well as my 7.62.
This 45 cal. one here is only used on this pistol because I opened up the baffle holes. Both monocores thread is 5/8x24. (factory made suppressors use larger thread size on 45s because of the larger barrel diameter) I had the 45 barrel drilled & tapped for the 5/8x24 threaded steel piece to accept my suppressor. Without my numbered outer tube on the monocore baffles they are only really long (& stupid) muzzle breaks & not a suppressor. I'm sure modifing a purchased (form 4) numbered suppressor could be viewed as illegal especially because it wasn't a custom made Form 1 suppressor that was designed to be adaptable. I can't & won't express firm legal advice for other's suppressors but with written approval on my form 1 suppressor I feel I've crossed the Ts & dotted the Is.

·
Premium Member
26,464 Posts
I got my Form 1 approval in 2017. I've built several 'improved' versions of it (destroying the previous ones) & originally contacted ATF (in writing) with the exact question "can I make different sets of baffles to insert in my form 1 suppressor tube for different calibers" I received the answer that yes as long as I only use the 1 engraved outer tube with my assigned number & info. My first one used freeze plugs, then stacked k-cups, then stacked 60 degree cups finally I've gone to monocore baffles. I've got 2 monocore baffles, 1 with 12mm holes which I use on my .223 (& 22lr) as well as my 7.62.
This 45 cal. one here is only used on this pistol because I opened up the baffle holes. Both monocores thread is 5/8x24. (factory made suppressors use larger thread size on 45s because of the larger barrel diameter) I had the 45 barrel drilled & tapped for the 5/8x24 threaded steel piece to accept my suppressor. Without my numbered outer tube on the monocore baffles they are only really long (& stupid) muzzle breaks & not a suppressor. I'm sure modifing a purchased (form 4) numbered suppressor could be viewed as illegal especially because it wasn't a custom made Form 1 suppressor that was designed to be adaptable. I can't & won't express firm legal advice for other's suppressors but with written approval on my form 1 suppressor I feel I've crossed the Ts & dotted the Is.

It's the ATF so...maybe. I'm just referencing their guide book and letters I've seen posted on silencer talk where several people were told to:
Resubmit a new Form 1 with the original attached along with a written request to change the caliber.

Submit a written letter notifying them of the change in caliber/ requesting permission to change the caliber.

Destroy their original Form 1, and resubmit a new Form 1 with a new $200 fee and wait for approval unless they had not yet begun construction wherein they would get their original fee refunded and applied to the new application.

Like I said, it's the ATF. So your letter should cover you... maybe. They could also try to fire back with constructive intent for unregistered suppressors even if the rules say you can have parts on hand to repair it with because you're a Form 1 builder. It's just one of those 6 of 1, half dozen of the other ATF bullshit regulations that if subjective to the individual agent's agenda.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts