Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project was for my particular needs and not for the majority of shooters out there but I'll post anyway.

My suppressed 45 pistol. The Form 1 suppressor I made has different monocore baffles for different caliber firearms. The outer tube is engraved with the info from my approved form (& stamp). This way I paid for one suppressor stamp & can swap out different baffles for different rifles & pistols. I decided on the HiPoint pistol because it has a 'fixed' barrel so my suppressor doesn't need a recoil booster like Glocks & 1911's do.
I wanted a suppressed 45 (sub-sonic) for my bed-side (not concealed carry) defense gun to save my hearing if ever fired at night. I stayed with open sights & added a front site to the 10" long suppressor. Quick & easy sighting plus I did add a green laser for range fun. I saw a pistol brace made by USA 1 shot that interested me but it doesn't fit the HiPoint so I made one. It's a tight friction fit secured with my holding the gun but doesn't require any mechanical mounting. Big difference when shooting at the range. Now all this was done for my wants & needs and isn't to everyone's taste but I thought I'd post it anyway.
Photograph White Light Black Line

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got bail money?

If I'm reading the rules correctly, you can't just randomly change the caliber of your silencer without submitting a new Form 1...

Here is the actual language from the atf handbook:
—-
Q5: May a repair change the dimensions or caliber of a silencer?
A: If alterations to a silencer would increase the overall length or change the diameter or caliber of a silencer, this is the making of a new silencer, as opposed to a repair. The new silencer must be registered and transferred in accordance with the NFA and the GCA. Alterations to a registered silencer that result in a minimal reduction in the overall length for purposes of rethreading are permissible as...

@FlashBang may be able to confirm...
I got my Form 1 approval in 2017. I've built several 'improved' versions of it (destroying the previous ones) & originally contacted ATF (in writing) with the exact question "can I make different sets of baffles to insert in my form 1 suppressor tube for different calibers" I received the answer that yes as long as I only use the 1 engraved outer tube with my assigned number & info. My first one used freeze plugs, then stacked k-cups, then stacked 60 degree cups finally I've gone to monocore baffles. I've got 2 monocore baffles, 1 with 12mm holes which I use on my .223 (& 22lr) as well as my 7.62.
This 45 cal. one here is only used on this pistol because I opened up the baffle holes. Both monocores thread is 5/8x24. (factory made suppressors use larger thread size on 45s because of the larger barrel diameter) I had the 45 barrel drilled & tapped for the 5/8x24 threaded steel piece to accept my suppressor. Without my numbered outer tube on the monocore baffles they are only really long (& stupid) muzzle breaks & not a suppressor. I'm sure modifing a purchased (form 4) numbered suppressor could be viewed as illegal especially because it wasn't a custom made Form 1 suppressor that was designed to be adaptable. I can't & won't express firm legal advice for other's suppressors but with written approval on my form 1 suppressor I feel I've crossed the Ts & dotted the Is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts