Supressors-school me

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Back2School, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Back2School

Back2School Member

ok, I am starting to think about getting a supressor. I really have no need for one as I mainly shoot at ranges and the noise from other shooters would still impact me, but I am thinking it might be nice to have.

So, I know about the Stamp, how to get it and its cost. I need to know more about the technical side of it. I have heard people say you can use a supressor across more than one kind of gun - is this true? I would have a hard time believing that one that works for a .45 would work for a .22LR. But, I have seen the manufacturers push different models for everything from just a pistol to rifle change. What do I really need to know?

For instance, could I use the same supressor on my AR and my .22LRs? How about 9mm, .40 and .45 - both pistol and carbine?

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    Yes you can use a larger can on a smaller caliber. It doesn't work as well as one made in that caliber. The 5.56/.223 and .22 would probably work the best.

By the way, rumor is the law will be changing to require the LE signoff even if you have a trust setup. This is to prevent citizens from being able to obtain one as most if not all local LE's won't sign off.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Depends one were you live :-D

4. 45Man

45Man Member

South Florida - No, unless you do the Trust thing.
    Most all other Florida - Yes, no Trust needed.
    It's up the Sheriff of each county.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

Check your range rules as well. I know several local ranges dont allow the use of suppressors or any stamped firearms.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

On more than one occasion, I've heard people suggest that having a suppressor on your home defense gun would save your hearing.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

P.S.,

Use of suppressors is also becoming more and more popular for hunting with the majority of state allowing some use of the devices for taking game, including, now, Ohio.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. Back2School

Back2School Member

Well one of the things that peaked my interest was the fact my lgs/range has suppressed pistols for rent. Haven't tried one yet but soon.

9. FlashBang probably knows the most.
    Check out the FAQ on reddit.com/r/nfa
    And reddit.com/r/guns
    They are always posting stamped cool stuff.

I know you want to check for modularity? And make sure you can clean it instead being required to send it away.
    I always hear people talk about silencer co. So I imagine it's a good brand.

10. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    You can add Florida to that list too.

11. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I haven't actually tried, but word from dealers here in Florida is that most likely a NO would be the response for any to sign off on it. I am surprised to hear that some are saying they will sign off some places or states, as the LEO is accepting responsibility for doing so.
    Also, if you can and do the signoff route are there any limitations then on where you can take and use your class III? I.E. can you leave the LEO's area of authority and still be legal??

12. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
  13. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You can use a suppressor on more then one caliber, with some caveats.
    A 5.56/.223 can can be used on a .22 but a .22 can cannot be used on an AR. A 30 caliber can is able to be used on pretty much any 30 caliber weapon, but care must be taken if using on an AK. An AK typically is not bored as perfect to centricity as other 30 caliber weapons are. Cans made specifically for AK platforms are bored to wider tolerances to allow for this. You can use a 30 caliber can on a .22 but will not get optimum suppression as you are not containing and cooling the gas leaving the muzzle due to it escaping via the over bore.

To gain the most benefit of a suppressor, you should use subsonic ammo. A suppressor only controls the muzzle blast not the supersonic crack.
    If you are new to suppressor so, start with a .22 suppressor. You will get the most use and enjoyment out of that caliber when starting out. A suppressor should be owner serviceable for cleaning. The Huntertown Guardian 22 is a good starting suppressor with excellent sound suppressing capabilities.

Use a NFA Trust prepared by a qualified and experienced Attorney. It is a one time cost but is well worth it. I highly doubt you are going to see CLEO sign off required for Trusts, there are way to many issues that make it impractical, but also impossible. There are no existing loop holes with Trusts. Anyone who says different is either a fool or does not understand how NFA Trusts work.

I'm on my iPad so I tried to cover as much as I could in as less words as I could. If you have any questions let me know.

14. Back2School

Back2School Member

Thanks Flash. I might be pairing down my collection anyway so a .223 that would work on my 10/22, ruler mark II and maybe a charger would be what I was looking for. Haven't shot subsonic in those yet so unsure if I will have cycling problems

15. 45Man

45Man Member

To answer the questions you asked:
    Also, if you can and do the signoff route are there any limitations then on where you can take and use your class III? I.E. can you leave the LEO's area of authority and still be legal??

16. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If you have a NFA Stamp you can temporarily take the item with you anywhere within your State, if your State laws also allow. You cannot permanently store them at a location not specified on the NFA Stamp, or transport them across State lines, without first submitting a Form 5320.20 to the NFA for approval. If it is approved, the NFA will return an approved copy of the form to you to retain while transporting it.

17. Is the tax stamp a one time deal, or do you have to pay that on an annual basis?

18. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its a one time purchase, per item.

19. Gotcha. I thought it was every year and wondered how people could afford that. :eek: