Surgery went well

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by SteveC, Jul 13, 2014.

1. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Well after about eight months of increasingly severe pain that put me out of competition completely and in the past couple of weeks prevented me from shooting at all, I had surgery on Friday to remove a cyst from my lumbar spine. All that nasty neuropathic pain is gone. I have a 2-inch incision in my lower back that is stapled together. It hurts, but unlike neuropathic pain this stuff responds to normal pain medication and it will get better. I had my wife take a few pictures while changing the dressing so I could see the wound, but I'll spare y'all that particular Frankenstein image lol. Amazes me that I was home the same evening and walking before I left the hospital. Can't drive for another week or so, but should be shooting pistol by then and long guns a couple of weeks later.

I had a great surgeon and I am one blessed person!

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Awesome Steve!!!! My prayers that life gets back to normal for you! Great news brother!

3. tomtull

tomtull Member

Yay,wish ya speedy recovery ;-]

4. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Speedy recovery!

5. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Thanks to all for the support. It will be great to have my life back!

6. Liberty

Liberty Shhh! Lifetime Supporter

Prayers up for speedy healing.

7. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Prayers and Thoughts for a speedy and full recovery!

8. SWAGA

I'm sure we all wanna see the pics.
    No pics it didn't happen right ?

* flinching in anticipation *

9. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Okay. I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your previously consumed comestibles. One is kinda fuzzy - wife tried to get close up but it didn't go well. Images are actually sideways; the incision was vertical.

Attached Files:

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

ehhh not gory enough try this in my shooting hand

[​IMG]

back of thumb that hand

[​IMG]

9 stitches total. Got them out 10 days ago. Had the lower back surgery and know what you mean, now I need a lower back fusion.

11. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    First off, ouch! Hope that's feeling better! Somehow stitches seem much less strange to me than staples.

Sorry to hear you're going to need the fusion. I was VERY relieved when my surgeon confirmed my impression that I didn't need it, since the recovery is really long and the body mechanics are changed forever. There is a chance of recurrence with the more limited procedure, so the big positive is that if you have the fusion the cysts won't recur. Wish you the best!

12. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Unfortunately there is no fix for blown discs, Hope your recovery goes well. Bet they told you to walk a lot as part of the PT

13. SWAGA

Now I'm no doctor but are you sure you need the fusion operation?
    Some people may think they're quacks but after 10+ years of pain a chiropractor got me completely pain free.
    I don't know if this would be appropriate for your injury though.

14. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I have no discs left, bone on bone in spots. Surgery is a matter of when I can't handle the pain any longer.