Survival Knife For 10 Cents

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Spot, Feb 24, 2008.

1. I remember reading that a while back. Very cool, and something I would like to make sometime.

2. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

I'll have to try that. Looks pretty cool.

3. That's neat. I'll be wanting to try that myself.

4. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I'd sure hate to use that with the saw blade still on the handle. I'd wrap it in para cord, or something...

5. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

Neat idea, but seems like a lot of work for a little knife. Now if someone sold them for $0.10 I'd place a large order.

6. gaowlpoop

gaowlpoop Guest

I made 2 last night. It was a fun project. They are now in our backpacks. Thanks for the idea.

7. I made 4 of these when I got home from work yesterday.

The blade doesnt affect handeling at all... they work pretty good and only take about 5 min to make...

8. z71,

Tell you what bud... I will make a few for ya, price will be $.25 ea, plus S&H. Been a while since that article was posted and cost of living has went up, hense the price hike from $.10 to $.25. :) :)

One a more serious note... the www.m4040.com web site has a good bit of cool info, guy seems to be hooked on survival and preps. Been keeping tabs on his site for a couple years now and always enjoy reading his articles.

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

This is why I keep a roll of theatrical gaffer's tape: Cloth based but with the resilliance better than Duct Tape. Perfect for this kind of application.

Great mod!! You should really submit this to Make.com in their blog section.

10. Those of you that have made them, how sharp can you really get it? What is it strong enough to cut?

11. I cut a 1" stick in half with the saw side.....

I also widdled it to a point after that. Have not toughed it to a shapening stone...... Just with the bench grinder. I will bring you a couple when we go shoot Primal...

12. Neat idea to have a little blade like that handy. The website is very informative too. :shock:

13. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

14. neothespian

neothespian Member

Try the place I always buy my gaffer's tape: Full Compas.

http://www.fullcompass.com/search.php?search_simple=true&txtAll=gaffers

Pretty good prices, and they offer a union discount :D

15. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I like the secret discounts you get for paying to be part of the union, however, is gaffer's tape anything like splicing tape.

16. neothespian

neothespian Member

17. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Not to kill the thread for you gaffer tape guys. But if anyone can make these I would love to buy a number of them from you.

I have a couples knives but these seems like something great to have in a BOB, I just don't have the tools to make them.

Anyone? PM me if ya can!