Survival knife

Discussion in 'Knife and Blade Forum' started by handcannon, Apr 24, 2014.

1. handcannon

handcannon Member

Just picked me up a cheap "survival" knife when I was out and about. Was on sale for 7.99 I want to say so I picked it up. Its got a fishing hook, matches, sewing kit ect in the handle and feels pretty solid for having a hollow handle. 8 in blade with a pretty sharp saw on the back side, overall I'm pretty happy with it tho its one of my smaller knifes. Not saying it'd be my first choice in a shtf situation or anything but I'm sure it'd manage.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like the "Rambo Knife" Harbor Freight sells. I picked one up a while back, just because everyone should have the knife of Rambo! It's just sat in a drawer since, I just show it to my friend's kids when they are over and they love it. Seems pretty good and sturdy for a $8 knife, let us know how well it holds it's edge.

3. Messiah

Messiah Member

It wouldn't manage. It's pretty much junk, and isn't a "survival knife". It wont baton wood, or hold up to rough use, but if you sharpen it well it might work OK as a camp kitchen knife.

4. handcannon

handcannon Member

I said survival knife cause that's what its says on the box lol and ya I got it at harbor freight

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
  6. handcannon

handcannon Member

Oh ya and this is my "Rambo" knife aha :)

Attached Files:

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I like that blade shape.

The bayonet from my Spanish Mauser FR-8 is shaped like that.
    BTW, you want a seriously tough large knife, get a European bayonet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Buy one of these: the Cold Steel "Bushaman" series. Then move all the "survival" material from the knife that will break to the handle of the knife that won't and plug the end with a cork. Be sure to add a little bit of lashing cord, either on the inside or wrapping the handle, so that you can lash the socket to the end of sapling for your "survival spear."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. Rerun

Rerun Member

Buy a 'cheap' knife and it will fail when You need it most!

I have three Ka-Bars, one Mauser ten inch bayonet and a Kershaw Speedsafe.

If I want a small survival kit, I buy a Coghlan's @ $13.00. It's about the size of a sardine tin.

eldar

10. panoz77

panoz77 Member

This is the ultimate survival knife.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw8KchHrAoQ[/ame]

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I love that its a "Rocky Mt" knife...but every picture they used (including the Buffalo) was on a low lying coast with deciduous and cypress and palm trees, Spanish moss, and big ol' large mouth bass.

Also loved the batoning technique designed to destroy the saw teeth.:p

12. Saltydog

Saltydog Bro! Member

Got this cause it was 8$ and it said, "hay take me camping and see what im made of" so I am, plus it looks cool, full tang, thick as hell an holds an edge good. Ebay

Attached Files:

13. desertrider

desertrider Member

That FR8 is one sweet carbine. I saw one at a gun show back in the 90's and really liked it, I remember thinking at the time how similar in size it was to my mini 14. Love the fact that it's a 7.62x51 as opposed to the 8mm. Definitely easier to find ammo for it.

14. While we are on the subject, some thoughts on a knife I made recently in my shop and what I look for in a "survival knife".

So why is this a survival knife?

Glad you asked.

Part of the reason is the architecture of this blade; there is a point to drill with, a belly to skin with, a thick spine to be used with a mallet to split firewood, a heavy weight to be used as a mallet, a thicker handle to allow easy use with gloves on, steel pins and antler handle to resist shock from the abuse a survival knife should be expected to endure, and a springier temper to survive chipping, prying, and hacking.

This is not an elegant knife to be used for subtle carving or filleting of a fine cut of meat, this is the robust kind of blade you want by your side when the plane goes down and you need to hike 100+ miles back to civilization. This is a blade to be tied to a rough hewn shaft and used as a spear, a blade to split a log for your signal fire, a blade to dig a hole and grub up some food. Yes you will need to sharpen this blade from time to time, but this blade will not snap when you use it to pry open the door on your vehicle as the water rushes over the roof and you have only seconds to escape before you sink along with the wreckage of civilization. When the SHTF this is the kind of blade you want to rely on.

[​IMG]

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It will, however, let your hand slide right up the hilt and get sliced badly on the blade, as there is no cross guard.;)

Sorry, I like everything about the knife, except that.:(

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

Wow, what you lack in home wiring knowledge you more than make up in practical knife building!!! :D Very Nice!

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I have a big old saw blade from a sawmill I believe... I was thinking it would make a bang-up machete if I cut it down for a full tang handle and sharpen the teeth, etc ???

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It probably would work pretty well in that role. However, it would also likely need to be treated again for that role.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

19. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Here is the Bushman that Kirk referenced. This is the second one that I have bought, and I only bought the second one because it was impossible to buy the new kydex sheath for the one that I already had. It didn't hurt my feelings any, though, because it is an outstanding knife. Because the handle and blade are forged from one piece of steel, it is inherently one of the strongest designs out there. The edge is also extremely sharp right out of the box.

If you want a nifty folder with which to pair it, the Kudu is also a good option. It comes with an edge that will shave hair from your forearm and has a locking mechanism that will probably hold the blade open with enough force that the blade would snap off before the lock gave out. They are solid, made of very few parts and they only average $7-8 each.

Attached Files:

20. If you are talking about a truly huge blade (12 inches across?) from an industrial lumber band saw, you have quite a find. Tends to be made from L6, a type of high carbon semi-stainless steel. You can make quite a decent blade from it but it will need to be quenched and tempered to take advantage of the carbon count. Other wise it will most likely be way too soft to hold a decent edge for more than a few cuts. I have a section of the above sitting in my shop, waiting for a pattern-welded knife to be made from it.