Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Survival on a budget - Cutting Tools

1K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  shubbell 
#1 · (Edited)
Cutting tools are the most important of the C’s. The knife is arguably the most important and must be able to perform multiple tasks. Ideally the knife will be full tang, with a blade about 4 inches and a 90 degree spine that will strike a ferrocerium rod. There is mixed feelings about stainless, which is easier to maintain, or carbon which will strike a spark off of flint or quartz.

I received a gift last Christmas that is proving itself. A Ozark Trail camping tool set. Included in the set was a fixed blade knife, a saw, and a machete, along with a sharpening stone.
Electric blue Tool Wood Everyday carry Fashion accessory

The knife has a 4 inch clip point blade. It came reasonably sharp and is easy to maintain. The spine is not 90 degrees but I have found that it will scrape a ferro rod as long as you use the back of the blade near the tip. The handle is a rubber type material and is very grippy and comfortable. Best of all, it is a full tang.

The kit also includes a folding saw. It has a 5 1/2 inch stainless blade that cuts on the pull. It does a very good job cutting and will handle limbs up to about 4 inches with ease. The handle measures 6 1/2 inches and is covered with the same rubber material that the knife handle is made of. Unlike the knife, the saw throws showers of sparks.

The machete comes with a 10 inch stainless saw back blade and is 16 inches overall. Probably not something I would carry with me, but I do have an earlier version of the same blade. It has been a favorite for times when I might need one around the property. This one lives in the trunk of my car just in case.

A price check of the kit shows $29,97, and the kit comes with other items that we will talk about later.

I will add that the knife in this kit is perfectly capable of batoning any wood that the saw might be called upon to handle. However there are those who frown upon batoning. In that case Ozark Trail sells a small hatchet that that will suffice for your batoning or chopping needs. That will add another $15 or so to your budget. They also sell a Mora knockoff for less than $3.00. It is another that is worth more than its price. It makes a great camp kitchen knife.

While I would not add the Mora knockoff or the hatchet to my survival kit, however there is a SAK type folder that I would add. I have not seen one in years, but if you find one they are worth their weight. I can not remember the price I paid, but I do believe it was one of the year end specials several years ago.
Wood Tool Knife Blade Hunting knife

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool deal. I really don’t shop at Wally World, but they do sometimes have sets at Sams. I need to keep an eye out.
what I really need to do is take inventory of what I’ve got. I have so many things I’ve accumulated over the year.

#4 ·
Cool deal. I really don’t shop at Wally World, but they do sometimes have sets at Sams. I need to keep an eye out.
what I really need to do is take inventory of what I’ve got. I have so many things I’ve accumulated over the year.
I let my Sams membership expire, there isn’t one within an hours drive from either house. Costco is even further. But I did like Sams. Walmart is so convenient, but it seems I can not get in the store and back out again within an hour. Always crowded anD poorly managed. Only one or two registers open, but they will have at least 8 of the self checkout machines open. Customer no service. I always mess up the machine to make them help me by doing something like ringing up a single item multiple times, deciding I don’t want something or acting stupid like I just don’t understand. I might go in there once or twice a month. And when I do, I prefer to let them shop for me. I order on line

I buy most of my stuff, including groceries, from Amazon. I know a lot of people don’t like them, but when I order something it is normally in my carport within 1 or 2 days. If there is an issue they are proactive and let me know.

The purpose of the Survival on a Budget thing is twofold. First, I have too many backpacks. I am getting shed all but my Hidden Woodsmen, Tuff Possum Gear, and Centerline Systems equipment. I have 2 backpacks and a haversack that are good, but not worth my time because a fair price would only be a couple of dollars. So how cheap can I put one together. Thought it might be of interest to some. Second, the get home bag in my cargo space in the car consists of the Hidden Woodsman M23, the Centerline Systems Mother Canteen Carrier, TOPS B.O.B., and the Heavy Cover Canteen set. That’s $600 and I have not even opened my bag yet. At least it is hidden, but I am riding my e-bike more and more. I can’t hide the bag. If I strap this one to my cargo rack and it gets gone, just maybe my feelings won’t get too hurt.

I plan to put together a cook kit for the haversack, and a overnight/ weekend kit with the 29 liter bag I have. Or maybe just do a GAW. We will see.

Reactions: Dagwood and ajole
#5 ·
That SAK is the Spartan, I think. Still about $26. But no sscissors, so I could be wrong....

I prefer the type without the corkscrew, like the Hunter, which has a small saw

Or the newer larger nicer grip models, the Trekker; one handed opening and locking blade. About $50-$60

Reactions: Rerun
#9 ·
The folding knife I carry in my M23 backpack

The Victorinox Farmer X Alox
Font Material property Rectangle Tool Composite material

The Hooyman Megabite Folding Saw
Watch Eyewear Rectangle Font Composite material

The TOPS B.O.B. Fieldcraft
Blade Fashion accessory Metal Font Tool

The TOPS Bushcraft Kukuri 7
Font Everyday carry Knife Tool Hunting knife

Reactions: Rerun and ajole
#7 ·
My WM sucks. They don't even stock gun magazines anymore. The reading type that is.

#10 ·
Wood Body jewelry Rectangle Eyewear Font

Wood Table Wood stain Hardwood Varnish

Wood Aircraft Font Tool Airplane

The most I've ever paid was $58 for the Ka-Bar... everything else, much less or free as gifts from friends. My most used folders are the Forest Master, and Case XX. Sometimes the Barlow comes along. For camp utility fixed blades, it was either the Imperial or the Colonial hunters, but the Ka-bar and the Ontario will replace them for camp heavy duties. Won't carry both fixed blades though; just one or the other with a folder in pocket.

#12 ·
I know this is more of a WM thread, however, farm stores can have some pretty good stuff for the right price. Today I picked up this folding saw (green) for $10. I am kind of an impulse buyer (thus I own a Swedge) because I like to see what budget stuff can do. I have not tried this saw yet, but the ergonomics feel great and it locks in tight and has 2 way teeth, so it is not just a pull saw....I say without testing;-) The middle is the Fiskars from WM. $17. The bottom is a Gerber I also got at the farm store maybe 7 years ago? It is a sliding saw. Was also around $17 and works great. It also fits behind my mag holder on my IIFS ELBV perfectly.
Tool Knife Kitchen utensil Hunting knife Everyday carry

Reactions: Rerun
#13 ·
I have the green one and the Gerber.

Boughtbthe green one at the Dollar General. It cuts well, you will,like it.

I bought the Gerber at Tractor Supply many years ago. I believe it was the firstbfolding saw I bought. Only problem with it is I don’t know where I put it. :sick:

#16 ·
So what are your guy's preferred methods of sharpening these type of saws? Is there a hack I have never learned? I have probably owned 20+ of these over the years- I think I'm down to 3 or 4 now- I can't recall what all kinds- anyway, between my career and my hobbies I have used them quite a lot. But I'm typically using them on really pitchy wood, or roots and root balls, so they get well used and abused. And I buy cheap ones and toss them once they're too dull and dirty to use as the cost of a new one + the fuel and time to shop for it is cheaper than the cost of someone sitting on the clock cleaning and sharpening the pitchy mess. But now that I live so far removed from everything that is no longer feasible.

#17 ·
They are pretty much disposable once they lose the ability to cut. There are some that you can get replacement blades for. Gerber makes one.

#20 ·
I forgot about one I bought last year at Academy. The Camalus Carnivore X. Cool, inexpensive. It’s been in my fifth wheel. I pulled it out of there today. I need to take it out and cut some stuff.

Tool Guitar accessory Wood Bumper Knife

the weight is well balanced and the saw teeth are sharp as hell. Should be a heck of a chopper.

#22 ·
Reminds me of the Ontario SP-8, which I think has proven itself with law enforcement. I know several deputies who have purchased and swear by thevSP-8.

I have had the Carnivore X for some years now. Makes for a good machete, a good digging tool, and a decent chopper. I don’t like the hollow grind blade, but then again, I don’t like hollow grind on anything. I feel it weakens the blade, and I have indeed put a permanent dent in the edge of mine. I like flat and saber grinds. The Carnivore X is calling out for a saber grind. The handle has hot spots, which is remedied by a good pair of gloves. The saw back is good for notching and makes for a decent root saw. I find it awkward to use though. Turn the tool upside down and the handle doesn’t fit the hand at all. I think I would rather it had a 90 degree plain spine.

Deduct a star for the handle and hollow grind and I would give this a 4 out of 5. Well worth the $20 - $30 this tool is selling for.

Reactions: Dagwood
#27 ·
This is the one with the serrated edge. Nice rubber handle. I wish it had the blade of the other.
Wood Office supplies Metal Natural material Nickel

#28 ·
This one has poor mans Micarta on the handle.
Wood Household hardware Wood stain Hardwood Plank

#29 ·
As it is garden season I had to go to the farm store. Besides what I was actually looking for, I found a set of HME (Hunting Made Easy) shears and a 5" folding saw. Also found a Gerber hatchet with the saw in the handle. Did not pick that one up. Yet. It is a Fiskers hatchet and I believe ajole has one? Thoughts.....

#30 ·
Never mind on the Gerber. Not worth the $60 they are wanting for it.

#31 ·
Found this guy at Walmart yesterday. I hope it works as well as it feels?
Automotive design Rectangle Font Motor vehicle Tints and shades

#32 ·
Looks good, price?

#33 ·
$16.00 originally $29.99

#34 ·
All aluminum frame. Different from the usual batch for sure. Haven't had a chance to try it though. Maybe this weekend.

Reactions: TNTRAILERTRASH