Surviving a Movie Theater Shooting

Discussion in 'Training' started by lklawson, Aug 17, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Interesting article. I'm not sure I would agree with all of his decisions and reasoning, but at least he's thinking about it and making a plan. I'm particularly tweaked about his statements on seat selection. Last time I went to a flick, Ant Man, 1) I didn't have much choice of seating 2) I didn't see any "dozens of obese, popcorn eating moviegoers" in my row (or even in the theater, to be honest), but my seat was, by shear coincidence, on the aisle.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/surviving-movie-theater-shooting
    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Its probably very logical but its silly. If you seriously have to think this hard about going to watch a movie, you've gotto think:
    1) is the witness protection program your in not working?
    2) why did i piss off the people that are going to track me to the movies to kill me.
    3) not everyday is an action adventure movie and just chill the eff out and enjoy the movie.

Really, with all that preplanning and worrying about the battery power of your backup tactical flashlight ( you cant even say that out loud and bec taken seriously) you're never going to enjoy the show. Youve got better odds of being hit by lightning while winning the lottery than you do of finding a lunatic gunman in a movie theater.
    Relax. Concessions are in the lobby. Please mute all electronic devices. Enjoy the show.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I kinda agree. I don't do anything "special" when going to the theater that I don't do pretty much any other place I go when "out." Outside of my home, I'm usually in a low Condition Yellow anyhow. Just kinda be mindful, know where the exits are and make a subconscious habit of "scanning" for threats. If you're in Condition Orange all the time, you'll end up addicted to Xanax. :)

I have another article, old now, somewhere that I think covers most of the ideas pretty well. I'll see if I can find it.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I absolutely despise that whole "blind the BG with my super lumen tactical flashlight" BS.

If I'm a shooter and you are shining a flashlight around...you are now a target. Point it at me, and I'm shooting at you, and probably hitting you, "blinded" or not.:rolleyes:

There is also the point that movie theaters aren't very dark, especially with a bright screen full of light making up most of one wall.:p

I was at a movie Saturday (they screwed up The Man From Uncle, BTW, especially Kuryakin.:rolleyes:), and I choose aisle seats regardless, I like elbow room. But I chose the right end of the row. The LAST thing I want is to have my gun hand stuck between me and the seat next to me as my wife grabs it in panic mode. Or maybe his wife is an operator too.:rolleyes:

This guy apparently hasn't been to a movie in a decade, but you can choose your seats a week ahead of time, by buying online, and if you want to be super tactical, you can go to a matinee, following the first week of showing, it's far less crowded.

Anyhow...just another internet expert, who knows more and more about less and less.:cool:

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Which is why I specifically use the "antiquated" FBI technique.

There is that.

Not particularly surprising. Disappointing, but not surprising.

I dunno. You'd have to ask him.

They just put in jumbo comfy recliners in my preferred theater. No, seriously. Cooshy recliners!

Well, he's not a complete doofus. I know he's a long time LEO and works/has-worked as an instructor for the Ohio Peace Officer’s Training Academy.

While I don't agree with every thing he's decided here, all of it is sure a darn sight better than crying like a little girl and wetting my pants. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  6. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Honestly, I think this is the BEST advice

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I have a friend, he just retired from the State Police. He was in charge of the NE corner of Utah.
    When I got my permit, it turned out the instructor was the retired trainer for the Staties. My buddy despised the guy. Partly because he was the guy that got the state to buy the HK P7 "squeeze-cocker", and then partly because the guy carried 4 pistols all the time. Seriously.

He was also a Glock fanboi...guess he converted from H&K operator to Glock fanboi after he retired and had to buy his own guns.:p

Anyway...that's the guy I see in my mind every time someone is a LEO trainer. Lotsa know everything, stories about his prowess, what he doesn't know doesn't exist kind of stuff.

I know they aren't all like that. But I think this article's author might be.;)

I mean...he suggested bringing a trauma kit to the movies, right?

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My wife has to pee at least twice during any movie, so aisle seats are always our MO...

9. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

I just go to the movies, and i don't worry about it. Been doing it for 30 years now. I've got a grandpa who's been doing it for 50 years, i know lots of other people who have been doing it for many many many years. I don't stress, I just go, I sit down, and i watch the movie. I sit wherever my gf wants and I don't give two monkey poops about it, because the odds are, it'll be peaceful. If something were to go down, i'll let the ccw take care of it. Otherwise, i honestly don't care, i do not sit on the prowl surveying the entire theater for "suspicious characters", it's not worth the stress or headache and really just serves to put a person on edge. My chances of getting shot and killed in a theater are so much smaller than the things i do in everyday life.

Sometimes you have to wonder how much times people spend being defensive and surveying the entire world....and for what? Notta. Hell when you get on a plane do you consider the factor that it's going to crash? Because those are about the same odds??? Or when you get in your car do you constantly ask yourself "am I going to die driving this thing", because you're more likely to die statistically.

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The difference is that there's nothing you can do to mitigate the danger to yourself of a plane crash, outside of simply not flying. When out-and-about, however, there are things that you can, in fact, do to mitigate dangers to yourself. Most of the simple ones don't require paranoia or a wannabe mall-cop-super-prepper mind set. Usually, it's just variations of "pay attention" and "don't be oblivious."

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

Oh so not true. Whenever i travel by plane i always bring my flying squirrel airsuit, my parachute, my backup parachute, a jetpack with multiple spare fuel cells, a flashlight incase i must jump at night, and a pack of spicey Slim Jims. Dont be silly, theres nothing you can do.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I always figured you as Moose rather than Squirrel, but I guess I can be wrong.

Selfie?
    [​IMG]

Here's my backup plan, but then again, I'm a "Super-Genius!"
    [​IMG]

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

We do date nights and that usually means heels! I'm always pissed when the girls try to run in their heels in horror movies. I would rather break my heels off then die! Movies though are usually not heel wearing places for me (So I guess I'm good)

14. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

When your number's up, there isn't anything you can do to change it. The big guy upstairs makes the final decision. ;)

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It has nothing to do with you surviving the to the end of the horror/slasher movie. You just have to look hot and survive to the topless scene. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. talon

talon the banned wagon

Depending on the type of theater, heels might be all you need to wear.....:eek:

17. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If you are breaking off your heel it's only because you just put it through their temple! I know you and Moon, and neither of you are the running kind. ;):)

18. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Guess you've never seen Final Destination? :p

19. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

Especially Moonz (running):wah: I do have some "killer" stilettos that I've often thought would look good in someone's eye:D

20. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

That was 'make believe'. Kinda like those posts on fzbk that tell you to share it if you want to find some instant cash laying around on the ground somewhere..... :p :rofl: