Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are a nightmare with C&R guns, after I got my rifles I cleaned 'em up and set 'em in the closet until I can get 'em to a Gunsmith to make sure they are good to go and won't blow up in my face they have rusted thanks to the horrible invention that is the swamp cooler... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
isnt a swamp cooler just a fan and a water mister?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
In the simplest of terms they are, They work on the premise of evaporation to cool the air down, as the air is drawn the the water soaked pads you have 2 effects 1) the air cools, 2) you interduce large amounts of moister into the house and on days were you have high humidity the evaporation effect is 0 and the moister effect is doubled
Very bad for firearms. doors swell up making them hard to close, carpets feel wet, but cheap to run.... I hate hate them :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
our old house had one. do you have central air also, if so just cut if off, if not you may have to pick up a dehumidifier and put it in the room or closet and tape off the vents for the swamper.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the simplest of terms they are, They work on the premise of evaporation to cool the air down, as the air is drawn the the water soaked pads you have 2 effects 1) the air cools, 2) you interduce large amounts of moister into the house and on days were you have high humidity the evaporation effect is 0 and the moister effect is doubled
Very bad for firearms. doors swell up making them hard to close, carpets feel wet, but cheap to run.... I hate hate them :mad: :mad: :mad:
And I love it when it rains at night when the swamp cooler is on so the next day you put your clothes on and they feel like they have been sitting in the washer for a while...

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan to get a safe soon so I can lock 'em up in there and then I will just place industrial size desiccant packets in there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
... I will just place industrial size desiccant packets in there.
That's exactly what I do with my rifles in their cases. If you live in a very humid area, it wouldn't hurt at all to rotate in some new desiccant packs twice a year or so at least, or bake the old ones in an oven for several hours.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's exactly what I do with my rifles in their cases. If you live in a very humid area, it wouldn't hurt at all to rotate in some new desiccant packs twice a year or so at least, or bake the old ones in an oven for several hours.
I live in New Mexico the only humid place is in my house...

·
Registered
97 Posts
If there is a large temperature swing inside (which can happen especially in closets that face east or west and catch the full sun) it will almost be as bad as if you lived in a Florida beach town.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If there is a large temperature swing inside (which can happen especially in closets that face east or west and catch the full sun) it will almost be as bad as if you lived in a Florida beach town.
All the closets in my house are on the west side, great.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
They don't still make swamp coolers, do they? I've never heard of any around here. Must be used more in dry climates?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
LOL water coolers I havent seen one of those in years since I was about 5. I didnt think they even existed anymore.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They don't still make swamp coolers, do they? I've never heard of any around here. Must be used more in dry climates?
They only use them down here like you said for the dry climate, and to answer your question they finally thought with their brain about it and like 2 years ago outlawed swamp coolers as they just eventually rust and fall apart, they cause asthma and worsen asthma sufferers symptoms, and surprisingly they aren't as environmentally friendly as good 'ol A/C nor are they economical as they break down a lot. Every summer I have to call maintenance about it at least once. It sucks also because the first time they are turned on they shoot out dirt and dust as the thing is on the roof of the house so the vents are on the ceiling and the dust/dirt gets everywhere. And if it rains you have to turn it off otherwise the pads will acquire too much moisture causing it to get insanely humid in the house so much so that when you put your clothes on in the morning they are damp. I hate that machine, also when it gets too hot outside (like 95ish) it doesn't cool the inside of the house worth a damn so we have fans on 24/7.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
They only use them down here like you said for the dry climate, and to answer your question they finally thought with their brain about it and like 2 years ago outlawed swamp coolers as they just eventually rust and fall apart, they cause asthma and worsen asthma sufferers symptoms, and surprisingly they aren't as environmentally friendly as good 'ol A/C nor are they economical as they break down a lot. Every summer I have to call maintenance about it at least once. It sucks also because the first time they are turned on they shoot out dirt and dust as the thing is on the roof of the house so the vents are on the ceiling and the dust/dirt gets everywhere. And if it rains you have to turn it off otherwise the pads will acquire too much moisture causing it to get insanely humid in the house so much so that when you put your clothes on in the morning they are damp. I hate that machine, also when it gets too hot outside (like 95ish) it doesn't cool the inside of the house worth a damn so we have fans on 24/7.
Sounds like you'd be better off placing a block of ice in front of your fan :D. I have been blessed to have grown up in a home with central air. What a godsend it is.

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like you'd be better off placing a block of ice in front of your fan :D. I have been blessed to have grown up in a home with central air. What a godsend it is.
Yeah I grew up with central air too but I got stationed here so yeah...

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Dude, just get one of those new houses they're building on the other side of the base, or right behind where you live now. They are all equipped with HVAC and it won't make your guns rust.

Also, stop by the house and ask the wife to open up my tool room, or go into my reloading room and get you some of the 000 steel wool I have in there and get that rust off those guns!

·
Banned
10,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dude, just get one of those new houses they're building on the other side of the base, or right behind where you live now. They are all equipped with HVAC and it won't make your guns rust.

Also, stop by the house and ask the wife to open up my tool room, or go into my reloading room and get you some of the 000 steel wool I have in there and get that rust off those guns!
Will do, I used Break Free CLP a rag and 0000 steel wool, I got it off for the most part but I think 0000 is too fine for the job, I just had it laying around from my BDU days for those marauders to shine 'em up real well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts