Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does sweat affect your CCW, and the ammo therein? I sweat a LOT, like a freaking crapton. Some disorder, I can't remember the name, but the deodorant I'm supposed to use is insanely expensive so I just live with it. I've heard some people say that sweating on/around your weapon is terrible for it. I can imagine so because of the salt, so I try to keep mine oiled regularly and wipe it off as often as possible. I generally carry polymer framed pistols to help with this. Some people have told me that the humidity of being in a sweat-drenched area can cause primers to go bad or powder not to burn right or something like that. I've shot some ammo that stayed in my spare mag in my pocket and would sometimes be drenched with sweat without problems, but I don't want to leave it to chance.

Anybody have any facts or evidence? I tried to get Ol' Painless on the Box O Truth to do one of his studies on this, but he still hasn't figured out a good controlled way to do it.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Hyperhydrosis?

Keep your weapon clean, even if that means field stripping it every few days when you sweat really bad, and rotate out your carry ammo fairly often.

all

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carry ammo is so expensive that I hate to buy a crapton of the stuff just to swap it out if it's still fine. That's why I'd like to know if there has been a study on it somewhere...I mean I'd think that someone has done it at some point or other...just hidden in the ol' tubes somewhere.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
That's a good idea. I'd also recommend, if you can, to put a thin strip of it around where the bullet seats into the cartridge to keep the powder dry if that is an issue. I'm not an expert by any means, so if someone else says this is a bad idea, take their word for it, not mine.

I don't know of any studies on it though.

I do feel your pain. It's almost impossible to find 9mm in JHP like is necessary for a defensive load.

Good luck!

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I have a couple of boxes of the WWB 9mm hollowpoints, but I prefer the Federal Hydrashock 147grn +P+ that I have. I only have about 20rnds of those though... I hate to throw them away for no good reason you know?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Oh yeah. I have a box of WWB on standby, and should have cycled through my cor-bons at least 6 months ago, I just don't trust the WWB any more.

Part of the reason that I am looking to get a compact .45. Ball ammo works just fine for SD.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just got a Ruger P345 this week and it's a great .45 compact, granted it's still large, but it's fairly thin and easy enough to conceal. I just got a Don Hume JIT slide holster yesterday. I carry Hornady 230grn +P in that and have a bunch of other SD ammo for .45 (a big mishmash of stuff I had given to me). I wouldn't feel too bad carrying JHP for a .45 though, as big as it is it's gonna hurt somebody hardcore haha.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I just got a Ruger P345 this week and it's a great .45 compact, granted it's still large, but it's fairly thin and easy enough to conceal. I just got a Don Hume JIT slide holster yesterday. I carry Hornady 230grn +P in that and have a bunch of other SD ammo for .45 (a big mishmash of stuff I had given to me). I wouldn't feel too bad carrying JHP for a .45 though, as big as it is it's gonna hurt somebody hardcore haha.
I prefer JHP regardless, just that .45 is the smallest that ball is ok, in my opinion.

I keep teetering between a glock 30 and an XD 45. I've got some saving to do.

+1 on the plastic bag idea if you can pull it off. I put my .22 mini in a baggie when I mow the lawn, no problems yet.

all

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bag idea doesn't sound bad at all...I think I might do something like that with my P3AT.

The Glock 30 is a good gun. A friend of mine at work has one and I really like it. It's a bit thick and easy to print with though. I guess if you can use IWB holsters it wouldn't be too bad. For me IWB are so uncomfortable there's only one pair of shorts I can wear one with so I always use JIT Slide holsters.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Glock 30 is a good gun. XD is a good gun. It seems the grip angle of the glock is more similar to the c-9, but you can reload out of an XD, and it comes with a bunch of toys.

Anytime I say I'm leaning towards the Glock, the next day I find some new reason to consider the XD. I am becoming convinced that there is really only one solution. Buy them both! :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I sweat a LOT, like a freaking crapton. Some disorder, I can't remember the name, but the deodorant I'm supposed to use is insanely expensive so I just live with it.
Go to your local store (Target or Walmart should have it), and pick up Certain Dri.
It will be in a white and green box with Black letters on it.
It will be with the other deodorants and antiperspirants.
It is only like 6 dollars a box.
It will put an end to your excessive sweating in your pits.
You put it on at night and dont re-apply in the morning.
They make an extra one that is for AM use.
Trust me on this one, I have been using it for over three years now and it is the best thing for me.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah the medicines they told me about had side effects that are a lot worse than being really sweaty lol.

Thanks for that info Beeg Boy! I'll definitely check that out! I've tried about 39420932045 different deodorants and none of them work worth a crap, maybe this stuff will do the trick!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.