Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Resident PITA
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figure Mary will come to my rescue, but someone else might surprise me.

When canning sweet pickles is it ok to substitute brown sugar or maple syrup for white sugar? And if you can use maple syrup, what ratio would you suggest to equal 1 cup of sugar? I was thinking a brown sugar & cinnamon version would be real nice but don't know how well brown sugar would work with pickling. The syrup is kind of a whim but sounds tasty.

Can anyone tell I got a new hobby?

Reactions: Rerun and lklawson

· Premium Member
25,919 Posts
Yes, you can and some recipes will call for brown sugar. Makes a darker brine and changes the flavor a bit.

Light or dark brown sugar is a 1:1 granulated white sugar.

Maple syrup is ¾:1 sugar.

· Resident PITA
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

· Premium Member
8,974 Posts
Yes, you can and some recipes will call for brown sugar. Makes a darker brine and changes the flavor a bit.

Light or dark brown sugar is a 1:1 granulated white sugar.

Maple syrup is ¾:1 sugar.
Thanks! Saved me form having to look up the maple syrup to sugar ratio!

Reactions: Rerun

· Resident PITA
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

· Premium Member
25,919 Posts
I considered molasses & honey, but they're just too overpowering IMO.
Honey might be good at ⅔:1 but molasses is 1⅓:1 and you need to use less water to compensate for the additional liquid volume, which is also the case for maple syrup, and it could really affect the sweetness of the pickles with the higher concentration of sweetness of you used a liquid sweetener substitute.

Reactions: Rerun

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,887 Posts
I hate pickles/cucumbers in all forms.
So does a buddy. He hates olives to. We leave them on his door step. They make him gag when he sees them. Lol

· Super Moderator
10,703 Posts
I don’t know the recipe, but I am gifted maple, but on, and pepper pickles every Christmas. I do not much like sweet pickles, but those mamma jamma’s are some kind of good!

We don’t get real maple syrup around here so we tried to make some with sorghum molasses. They were good too, had more of an earthy flavor, not as sweet. I need to ask my daughter to make some more!

Reactions: lklawson

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,887 Posts
I don’t know the recipe, but I am gifted maple, but on, and pepper pickles every Christmas. I do not much like sweet pickles, but those mamma jamma’s are some kind of good!

We don’t get real maple syrup around here so we tried to make some with sorghum molasses. They were good too, had more of an earthy flavor, not as sweet. I need to ask my daughter to make some more!
Maple is everywhere around here.

· Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Maple is everywhere around here.
So are friggin' polar bears and dog sleds --- in AUGUST! Surprised it ever gets warm enough for the maple sap to run in ND.

· King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,887 Posts
So are friggin' polar bears and dog sleds --- in AUGUST! Surprised it ever gets warm enough for the maple sap to run in ND.
Thats a warm month mister. Not always but sometimes

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.