Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Switching out to ATI stock today

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Glennfrank 
#1 ·
Well, it's been a few weeks since I got the stock at this point and I am thinking I will actually have time to swap out for the ATI this afternoon.
Wish me luck (I'm not exactly the handiest person in the world). :oops:

G
#5 ·
It's not normally difficult from what I've read... However I made the switch last night to the ATI stock and let me tell you...

It took me three and a half hours and a dremel to make the darn thing work. The bolt kept getting bound by the cover, and the retention bolts were off centered, etc etc...

But it's on now and feels like a brand new gun.

#6 ·
The only fitment issue I had was filing the forward-most bolt hole for the steel cover so that the bolt would pass all the way through. A rattail file made quick work of that.

I tossed the instructions already, but as I recall there is no mention of the keyed bushing for the mag release button. Or maybe I just missed it. Ended up with an extra part (flashback to my youth building Revell model cars). A nanosecond later I realized where it goes and how the fork-shaped plate retains it. :D

#8 ·
Done - including cleanup & reboxing old stock as well as aligning the laser and checking the action with two mags full of snap caps :)
All in all it took under two hours (I started a bit after my first post).
The majority of the time was spent dealing with the aforementioned PITA front receiver bolt. In the end I ended up getting out my powerdrill and just made the whole hole bigger. I could've spent another 45 mins messing with that file but patience has never been my strong suit.

G
#12 ·
The only regret I have about installing the ATI stock is not waiting until I received the new trigger. Now I need to disassemble the thing again to install the trigger...

No big deal but I could have saved myself some time.

#13 ·
Griff: the actual replacement stock itself. The front receiver cover hole. I could get the bolt in, but couldn't wed it to the cap on the opposite side & therefore couldn't tighten it.

blender: I thought about that halfway through doing mine and was ready to smack myself in the head. But I am waiting for Bushman to sell the trigger & operating handle as a set.. as you said, not a big deal really but would have saved some time.

#14 ·
Well I guess I will just wait a little longer and get the new charging handle and trigger and then do as so many have already done with the ATI stock.

#15 ·
Well, it's been a few weeks since I got the stock at this point and I am thinking I will actually have time to swap out for the ATI this afternoon.
Wish me luck (I'm not exactly the handiest person in the world). :oops:
So how'd it go?

Still haven't messed with mine...too nice out (66 degrees) smoking a roast and screwing around in the garage....

#16 ·
It wasn't haaaard or anything NRAJoe. It was actually very straightforward. Like I said the worst part was dealing with the forward receiver bolt alignment.

Oh, and as for the replacement trigger - I thought of another mod that may warrant me taking the gun apart again anyway. Somewhere on this board (I think) was a picture of the factory stock in a snakeskin camo pattern(done using fishnet stockings for the 'scale' effect). I really like my new ATI stock - but am thinking about doing something along those lines to set it apart from everyone elses [well my girlfriend and nephew's anyway].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.