SWMBO's new car

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by greg_r, Oct 17, 2020.

1. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Good Luck, and this ain't even thread drift in here (yet)
    It's pretty much on-topic, with GregR's OL driving record :rotfl:

CamoDeafie likes this.
  2. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Thin steel beats (flammable) aluminum any day.

eldar

3. Sure ya not thinking of Magnesium? ;)

Edit. Oh yeah. Iron oxide is a component of thermite as well.

4. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

SOF had an article discussing which rifle caliber could take out an armoured car used by companies like Br*nks.

eldar

CamoDeafie likes this.
  5. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Nope.

F-14 Rims were once made of magnesium. The firefighters aboard the USS John F. Kennedy (CV-67) had a hell of a time dealing with burning rims after the collision with USS Belknap in 1975.
    They ended up pushing them put into the Sea with long poles.

eldar

6. Quoting myself. Apparently boron, titanium and silicon are also possible oxiders for thermite reactions.. so this tells me.. silicon, boron, and alumina mixtures ceramic armor might be flammable? :rolleyes:

Edit. Given the right conditions, everything can be flammable.

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Oil cooked in a few weeks causing engine failure within a month

8. nope - aluminum burns like crazy - once you get it hot enough.
    look up pictures of the USS Belnap after her collision....

Rerun likes this.
  9. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Solid aluminum doesn't burn, it melts. You're looking at 1,000°C to reach the auto-ignition temperature even when tested in a pure oxygen environment.

Aluminum Alloy however can burn depending on what impurities and ratios are associated with the alloy. The reason being is surface area. If the alloy metal has a lower melting/ignition point than the aluminum, as most metals do, than the alloy will start to separate from the aluminum molecules increasing the surface area and cause rapid oxidation thus increasing the temperature until the aluminum molecules ignite rapidly causing the sparks. That's how fireworks function. Aluminum powder/fragments and oxidizer are mixed in a stable slurry and the lift charge ignites the oxidizer which causes the aluminum particles to go all sparkly and violent.

Having said that, I've seen puddles of rims remnants after vehicle fires, and one fuel tanker fire resulted in a molten river of aluminum flowing down the off ramp and setting the median on fire... I've seen way more magnesium fires than I have aluminum. Several auto shop fires come to mind. One had a bus full of magnesium rims. That shit show smoldered for days.

Rerun and CamoDeafie like this.
  10. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Those F-14 magnesium rims I mentioned earlier?

According to the firefighters aboard ship, they continued to burn as they sank into the depths of the Eastern Mediterranean Sea after they were pushed by the firefighters.

eldar

Merle likes this.
  11. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Once magnesium is ignited it gets hot enough to strip the H2 from the oxygen. Hydrogen is an oxidizing agent when it reacts with metal.

Rerun likes this.
  12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    It doesn't matter WHAT you armor up to...someone, somewhere will ALWAYS have enough gun to punch your ticket. If not now, then next week.

I read that a large percentage of tanks in WW2 were killed only AFTER being immobilized, in the German's case, often caused by lack of fuel rather than enemy actions.

You'd think someone would build a tranny with a serious lockout that prevents putting it in gear while moving the wrong way. Should be an easy bit of code for the computers.
    Just watched a thing with Jeremy Clarkson, where he parks a $1.8 million McLaren, takes off the steering wheel...then realizes it's not in gear, and is rolling, and the ONLY way to stop it is to put the steering wheel back on, as the gear shifters and switches are on the wheel. Someone missed an idiot proofing step there somewhere.

Rerun, Merle, moona11 and 1 other person like this.
  13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Years ago some inboard/outboard boats shut the engine off between forwards and reverse before computers ran engines.

14. Dubar

Dubar Supporting Member

Get the whole family a LCAC, you can put all your vehicles on it and don’t need no stinking roads:

297D3580-BC80-480B-8BB0-FE93DAE9616D.jpeg

Had to work on one at Little Creek Amphib Base once. You’re not going to sneak up on the enemy in one of these and probably good for only 1 trip.

CamoDeafie and Merle like this.
  15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I couldn’t afford the fuel for one trip...:ohno:

CamoDeafie likes this.