Tagged Out!

Discussion in 'Grip and Grins' started by Rachgier, Aug 18, 2017.

1. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Truck you have a truck use it.

2. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I will take elk over any of the rest any day! Only antelope I had was jerky... tasted like I was chewing a sage leaf raw... not impressed LOL

3. shubbell

shubbell Member

Good job! The goats are skittish out here. 60 yards is close with a rifle!!!
    The key is to field clean there and now. Preaching to the choir again, but for someone that likes the antelope, they do grow a moss or mold or something on them that can make them sagey. If they are cleaned right after the kill, it does not have that taste.

4. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I gut mine where they fall and have them home and on the gambrel around 90 minutes after that. I'm only 15 minutes from the hunting grounds, but with over 60,000 acres I've found it can take a while to get back out to the main road.

5. Jhow79

Jhow79 Supporting Member

Nice job my man! 60 yds is a hell of a poke, can't believe he didn't bolt after the first miss. What kind of set-up are you flinging arrows with? I used to do a ton of archery hunting and shoot competitively when I still lived up in MI, haven't even drawn a bow in about 15yrs now, I miss the rush, there is just something about ground stalking with a bow & arrow nothing else like it. Again congrats on making that shot.

6. Rachgier

2013 Hoyt Charger with the updated 2014 long draw speed cams.

Draw weight at 70#'s. 32" draw with an extended d-loop to account for my grape ape arms.

QAD drop rest, trophy ridge 5-pin sight, trophy ridge 6-arrow quiver, Limb Saver 8" 6oz adjustable stab.

460 grain Gold Tip Hunter XT's with 1.5" G5 Striker Magnum fixed blade broadheads.

31", 300 spine, 9.3 gpi, 30 grain insert, 125 grain heads.

298 fps average.

Rerun likes this.
  7. backbencher

backbencher Supporting Member

Texas
    How are you getting that speed w/ that weight bolt and draw? My crossbow is twice the draw but similar speed and weight bolt and head.

8. Rachgier

Draw length.

Also, IBO on my bow is 325fps. So I'm actually kind of slow, compared to that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Rerun likes this.
  9. backbencher

Texas
  10. Jhow79

Jhow79 Supporting Member

As I'm sure you know that IBO speed rating is impossible with a hunting set-up , your flinging them pretty darn fast for the loaded arrow weight your shooting. Again nice shot

11. Rachgier

Thanks. I was stoked. Managed good archery kills on pronghorns 2 years in a row. Now if only I could get close enough to fill my deer tag.

30" 350 gr arrows in a completely controlled environment. I know, it's just BS just to sell bows.

I also run a string with nothing but a peep and D-loop on it. Having a 32" draw adds FPS. And my bow is maxed out so the draw weight is over 70#. The pro shop averaged it at around 73, between 3 scaled pulls. Even adding in all the hypothetical gains and losses I was shocked as shiz to get 298fps on the chrony at home. Even took it to the pro shop and they got the same results. Pro shop owner was just as shocked as we were. He told me I was full of poop and should only be getting around 285 at best. He even bet me that if it shot over 290 I wouldn't have to pay him for the chrono time. They charge $5 an arrow, and he shot 3 arrows trying to get a lower velocity. Apparently people shoot the actual chronograph, so only staffers are allowed to use it now.

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I miss archery. Not been able to do much of it since I got injured. As noted, hunting bows will not produce IBO speeds.

I shot a Carrol Dominator 3D in competition. Shooting 26" shafts. It's been a while but IIRC it was shooting near 340 fps. I picked up a sponsorship and had to shoot the Clearwater Archery Dave Powers Signature model. It was a few feet per second slower. Both of these were #70 bows.

I actually hunted with a custom longbow. It shot a whopping 170 fps! But the telephone pole it launched tipped with the Zwickey Eskime would penetrate like nobody's business! I used a Hoyt ProVantage mostly though. I moved up to a Hoyt Super Slam Supreme not long before I got hurt.

After my injury, I got a crossbow permit. Back in the day, you could own a crossbow, but could not hint with one unless you produced a chit from a doctor. North Carolina finallylifted that restriction though, and crossbows are common during archery season now. My current bow is a PSE Tac15 that will give me over 400 fps with a 425 grain bolt. It pulls 175 pounds.

Compounds are loud, crossbows are louder. Traditional bows are quiet. I don't see much advantage to a cross bow over a compound, even though they shoot much flatter after 25 or 30 yards. They are loud enough that a buck will jump string and slow enough that even at 50 yards a good shot can quickly turn into a bad one.

Jhow79 and Rachgier like this.
  13. Rachgier

My buddy that got me started in archery here in CO is running a brand new PSE compound. I can't even say that he got me back in to it, because I hadn't really shot a bow with a purpose in over 20 years. I don't count my driveway shooting in NY as having any purpose. I went from a Darton SL60 for free from the future BIL to an 80# Bear Whitetail II I picked up in a trade with Talon for some .22 and some .40. I picked up this Hoyt Charger he turned me on to and just started shooting.

In all respects I'm a "modern" rifle guy, but last year taking those lopes with the bow and muzzle loader were just..I don't know. In my mind any dope can pick up a rifle and whack an animal at 500 yards. Obviously that's not really true and I know what it takes to make the long shots, but let's be realistic. 300 yards shots are entirely doable by a relatively new shooter even with basic rifle mechanics. I've taken a coyote at 275 yards with my AR on a snapshot after a misfire. It's 'simple'. But being forced to actually stalk an animal that is one of the fastest and longest winded animals on the planet has just woken me back up. I'm hunting wide open territory, using terrain for cover, and having to get in to 60 yards or better with my bow, and 150 yards or less with my muzzle loader, thanks to the no magnifying optics rule in CO.

Now I'm looking at doing the same with Elk, and possibly a concurrent bear season. Turkey with a bow, archery deer tags, and a muzzleloader pronghorn tag again this year. It's like learning how to use a bow and a muzzle loader have stepped me up to the next level of personal accomplishments. It just feels like the win is slightly bigger hunting this way.

greg_r likes this.
  14. backbencher

Texas
    I can cock a crossbow & hand it to my 12 year old and tell him to kill the squirrel.

15. Rachgier

I barely trust my teenagers with butter knives.

Jhow79 likes this.
  16. greg_r

Bow hunting is definitely a different kind of hunting. Somehow a crossbow just takes some of that away. North Carolina used to have a primitive weapons season. I loved it. Now they have an archery and muzzleloader season. It's rare today to come across the hunter with a Jager or a Flat Bow. Like I noted, I use a crossbow and a break barrel muzzleloader.

17. Rachgier

Traci wants to get in to archery now as well, but with a previous elbow injury from an MVA she can't draw the bow. CO still requires the chit to use a crossbow during archery, but I believe she can use it during rifle with a rifle tag without the chit. It's been a while since I looked at those particular rules.

18. greg_r

Shoulder injuries suck. I fell down some stairs at a warehouse. Caught a water hose rack on the way down, dang near ripped my arm off. Broke my collar bone, shoulder blade and messed up the ball joint while I was at it. Now many years later, Arthur has moved in.

Here's hoping Traci has no further complications.

19. Rachgier

Well, hopefully not further complications. She had her elbow pinned back together and the pins started to walk so they took them out but the bone is too thin to makes further repairs.

20. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Get her a DR note. At least here it's not hard to get. No optic during bow season. But during rifle you can without a Dr note.