Taking the paint off the C9 barrel?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by NRAJOE, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Saw on a thread somewhere that a guys C9 barrel paint started chipping off....just looked at mine and its starting.

Saw someone just stripped the paint off the barrel and its now shiny/bare.

What would you use to get the paint off?

Thanks....

2. Joe I would use a fine grit sand paper and wrap it around the barrel and twist it back and forth until the paint was gone, then go to a finer grit and you would probably end up with a nice polished look

3. hpman

hpman Guest

I used sandpaper but went along the length of the barrel to take the paint off. Then, I used a dremel with a buffing wheel and polishing compound to polish it to a shine. Finally, coated with gun oil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    without the flash

4. hpman

hpman Guest

If you are going to do it, go ahead and polish the feed ramp too.

[​IMG]

5. Yeah...that would be done while I've got it apart...thanks guys....

6. hpman

hpman Guest

No problem, anytime.

7. I just remembered that I had a SAR1 Ak a few years ago that I used Navel jelly on the charging handle area...all that came off and I shined it up with "FLITZ"...turned out super shiny.

Was gonna do it on my Bulgarian milled AK but decided to leave it black...no shine to give you away.

8. invictus82

invictus82 Guest

To those who have done this, what do you do as far as treating the now shiny barrel? Is a coating of gun oil (ie RemOil) before and after each shooting enough, or is there something else you use to prevent oxidization?

9. You could use a hi temp clearcoat to keep it from oxidizing

10. hpman

hpman Guest

Only a coating of gun oil so far. Its only been a couple weeks but no problems so far. I looked for some hi temp clearcoat but haven't found any yet. I'll keep it oiled and see how long before I have a problem.