Talk about a light tap on the wrist...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

This was/is my back surgeon. Donated almost $1,000,000 to shady organizations in Pakistan, reimbursed for all of it, claimed them all to be charitable donations. The charge of conspiracy was related to the terrorist ties to some of the organizations he "donated" the money to.

His punishment? $25,000 fine and 2 years of probation.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Local-surg-301115011.html

(WBNG Binghamton) Dr. Saeed Bajwa, a local surgeon at Southern New York Neuro Surgery Center, pleaded guilty in court to making false statements on Tuesday.
    The United States District in the Eastern District of Virginia dismissed count one of the indictment against him, which referred to charges of conspiracy. Bajwa allegedly sent more than $800,000 to agencies in Pakistan.
    U.S. district court documents showed Bajwa's charges stem from sending that money to organizations for 20 years, starting in 1991. The doctor was then reimbursed for that money, but filed tax returns claiming it was a charitable donation.
    Bajwa has been sentenced to two years probation and ordered to pay $25,000.
    His probation comes with several special stipulations.
    According to U.S. district court documents, while on probation Bajwa shall comply with the following:

- Provide the probation officer with any requested financial documents and information, including personal and business income tax returns
    - The government shall provide a list of specific individuals to the U.S. Probation Office with whom the defendant shall have no contact
    - The defendant shall pay a fine in the amount of $25,000 due in full within six months of sentencing
    - The defendant presents a low risk of future substance abuse and therefore, the Court suspends the mandatory condition for substance abuse testing. This does not preclude the U.S. Probation Office from administering drug tests as appropriate.

2. Branth

Branth Member

O.O

So, who reimbursed him, anyway?

3. Rachgier

That was part of the conspiracy charge. The reimbursement supposedly came from the shady organizations.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

So..... Aiding terrorists is ok if you pay a fine now huh?..... Treasonous acts get you a stern warning?..... Not to mention tax evasion.... Wow!.... Obama and his cronies get their panties in more of a wad over thugs being shot by police.... Miscarriage of justice much?

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I can't understand how terrorists fit that. If he gives money, but gets it back...are they siphoning off interest? Making money on exchange rates? Is it an interest free loan?

It sounds more like a straight up tax dodge...but I don't see how the people laundering his money make any.

6. Rachgier

The original story was he was donating money to organizations in Pakistan with ties to terrorism. He would then claim the money as a tax deductible charitable donation. Then be reimbursed by an undisclosed third party and not claim it as income. He used to make frequent trips to Pakistan and perform surgeries so it's entirely possible he was just writing off the surgeries which he would later be reimbursed for. They haven't released too much information about it though, and I doubt they will as easy as he got off.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    This sounds very much like tax law violation. The question that I have is why, if he so obviously committed some pretty egregious offenses, is he being let off with such a light tap on the wrist when others have had the IRS come down on them like a bag of hammers when the IRS was actually wrong?

The IRS has used civil asset forfeiture laws to seize or attach significant portions of people's assets without due process, all for false reasons, and in the end, the aggrieved citizens have not been compensated. One guy on the KTOG forum actually lives in Hong Kong, now, because the IRS not only seized or attached everything, they capriciously ruled his case as collectable because their case against him was so bogus that they dropped it before it went to trial. That "uncollectable" designation destroyed his credit rating for life, and he never got back what they took.

This is what so chaps my hide about this case. They IRS lets this doctor and other seemingly well-connected people off, and then it attacks people who have followed the law.

8. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    Do you have a link to that original story? The one in the OP's link didn't say anything about terrorist or shady organizations. Without that, it smells like a simple tax dodge and he got a plea deal that still seems pretty sweet but not crazy sweet like it would be if they were thinking conspiracy to aid a terrorist organization. The penalty is what goes with the charge, under the sentencing guidelines.

Sucks either way. I bet I could get hammered worse than that for screwing around with the paltry amounts of money I could play with. I hope the IRS is crawling up his entrails, at least.

9. Rachgier

Yeah, I posted about it somewhere around here a while ago when it broke. I'll have to dig around and try to find it.