Talk to me about Lemon Pledge

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by lklawson, Mar 14, 2016.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

As I was exercising my cheapskate muscle by searching various forums for tips and tricks, this one came up repeatedly: Using Lemon Pledge (tm) for an inexpensive substitute case lube. Now, to be honestly, I'll likely never try this except in case of completely running out. I'm honestly more interested in trying an alternate home-brew mixture but the Lemon Pledge (tm) idea has tickled my curiosity.

Have you tried it?

Do you use it as a spray-on just like One-Shot (tm) or do you have to spray a pad and roll? Size while wet or wait until dry? If you want to run it in again (because, I don't know why) do you reapply or just run in back into the die?

What's your experience with this?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    I have a friend that details his motorcycle with it.

3. histed

histed Supporting Member

Never tried it. I don't like removing stuck cases. Know a guy who does and it seems to work, but.... I like anhydrous lanolin, personally.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Thanks. :)

Like I said, this is very much an academic question for me because I really don't particularly intend to try it. I'm just curious.

Yes, that's the other one which kept coming up and got even better "reviews" than Pledge. When I look at the various homebrew recipes, it seems to be a better dollar value than Pledge. But I'm a curious cat by nature. :D

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. Branth

Branth Member

I've been using Gardner Bender Wire-Aide. It's a wire-pulling lubricant, and while I originally got it because someone said it was exactly the same as Lee Case Lube, it is indeed different - More watery and yellowish than the white hand-cream texture of the Lee stuff, in my experience. It does, however, work fantastically. I got a huge 1qt jug from the local farmer's co-op for $8 about 4 years ago, and I still have maybe 1/8 of it left.

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yeah, I know. I bookmarked your post on it. :)

You use it to lube on a roll-pad, if I recall correctly.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. Branth

Branth Member

Homemade one, actually. Dollar store microfiber hand towel stapled to a plank of wood. I really should replace the hand towel at this point.

8. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I have never used pledge as a case lube, but I do use furniture polish as a lube to push my bullets through a sizer to keep from leading the die. Works well.

I use lanolin and alcohol mixture as a spray case lube. Works well also.

9. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

This is all I can think of right now...

Attached Files:

10. colthrash

colthrash Member

I spray the sides of my racecar with it, helps to remove the mud...

11. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I know in military college when I sprayed it on my floor duster the company commander flipped on his ass during a Saturday inspection :rolleyes: :p

12. Asher1

Asher1 Member

I do the same thing on my crawler jeep... works great and kind of keeps the gravel dust down with a lemon-ee fresh smell...

13. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

Same with inside the fender of my klr. Now how did I forget that.

So between pinesol and lemon pledge we got all we need to clean a rifle?

14. Asher1

Asher1 Member

don't forget Mr Clean magic erasers... maybe some olive oil, for lube..

15. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    It's really good for wood stocks.

16. noylj

noylj Member

If case lube is too expensive, start spraying into a plastic bag and throw some cases in and shake them up.
    I only use spray case lube when I have problems with 9x19 cases being resized. I find the Frankford Arsenal spray lube works great. I find the Hornady One-Shot Case Lube is too heavy/sticky for me.
    For rifles, I do the same thing I did back in 1972--use an RCBS lube pad and lube. I have NEVER had a stuck case, so I am not going to experiment when what I have works perfectly and is certainly cheap enough (only on my second bottle of case lube after over 40 years).
    Unless you simply love to "make your own" and experiment (and willing to pay the price of failure), stick to what is known to work.

17. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I use the Dillon Case Lube. It's lanolin and alcohol.

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I appreciate that, but, as I wrote, the question isn't about what alternatives there are or what various forumites use. Instead, the question (which is academic to me) is what is the proper way to use Lemon Pledge as a case lube. How does one use it?

I do like experimenting and I am curious by nature. Nevertheless, as I already wrote, I have no intention of trying this. My intention with question is to satisfy my curiosity about the proper technique for use as a case lube.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    does NOT taste like lemons! BLEEHHHH!

20. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I don't have a lubing pad. Instead I dump a handful of brass in a ziplock bag and give a few squirts of lube.

Shake n bake!