Tally up another one...

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Branth, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Branth

Branth Member

I took another person out to the range who had never touched a gun in her life. This time it was this really nice girl from Wales I met on campus. Never touched a gun, never even seen one unless it was on the hip of a police officer, I think. She seemed alternately excited to experience this particular part of American culture and apprehensive about shooting. We talked a bit, and she actually ended up loading 20 rounds of .223 with my close supervision abut a week before the event, so she had a chance to shoot ammo that she had made, which was cool.

It went well - She's a natural marksman (Markswoman? Marksperson?). From resting on the bench with a BSA red dot on an AR-15, she shot a 5-shot group that I'd eyeball at around an inch and a quarter at 25 yards, which I took as pretty impressive. She also shot an AR-7, a Ruger Security Six, and a Taurus 709 Slim, all of which she handled very well with slow-fire accuracy. Most importantly, she had fun. She seemed particularly surprised by how friendly everyone was - Everyone wanted to ask what we were shooting, talk about their guns, and congratulate the new shooter. She compared it to a Star Trek convention where everyone is super-friendly and just wants to nerd out about their hobby, which I thought was pretty fitting.

This makes it five n00bs I've taken to the range. I'm gonna have to start etching tally marks in the stock of my rifle.

Attached Files:

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Good job Branth!
    You next challenge should you choose to accept it.......

Get her to change her hair color lol ;)

3. Branth

Branth Member

*gasp* Blasphemy! It's awesome, and I like it!

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Great job B!..... And I see she's a lefty to boot!

5. SWAGA

Thought you didn't like lefties Bull ;)

6. There is so much misinformation out in the media regarding firearms and shooting. Once people have a decent experience with shooting it can completely change their perspective.

I think what people like is the sense of empowerment firearms give. When someone knows how to defend themselves it really gives them more confidence.

7. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Just the handeds.... Not the leanies!....

8. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Can you get my wife to go shooting? She's a left too.

9. mawguy

mawguy Sheep Dog Member

I understand why non-gun people are afraid of guns. They are afraid of being shot by one. Some think that the gun is like a bomb with a timer on it... that it just may go off for no reason.

Once you get on the trigger side of a gun instead of the muzzle, it is possible for you to understand the equalizing power of the weapon.

10. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

The hair reminded me of my niece last year she colored her hair camo before she went deer hunting. Looked pretty good too.

11. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Way to go, Branth. We all need to give newbies some training and experience with firearms (especially my fellow lefties).

My oldest and youngest son's girlfriends recently went shooting for the first time, and they really enjoyed it. Two more converts in the fold.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Stop screwing around and get your NRA Handgun Instructor certification. You can still keep teaching your friends for free, but you'll have a really well thought out introduction and training program behind it too.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

Same experience with my girlfriend......now, thank God, she went out and felt a bunch of weapons, and decided on a Phoenx Firearms hp22bb, she wanted low recoil before buying a bigger caliber ( which helps my wallet)

Now, every sunday she suggests we get a membership at the range

14. Okay she is left handed, but right eye dominant?

My wife is right handed but left eye dominant. I cannot figure out how to direct her to shoot a hand gun with sights.

15. Branth

Branth Member

I really should, but then I'd have to pay $300-$400 for my certification and worry about keeping it up, as well as do silly things like never calling a gun a "weapon."

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Just have her cant the gun at about a 10-15 degree angle and adjust the sights accordingly.

She's going to have to shoot rifles left handed, however.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

That's true, but it also give a legitimacy as well.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. SWAGA

I'm right handed but left eye dominant.
    In isosceles stance I just turn my head slightly to the right so my left eye lines up with the sights.
    With weaver basically the same.

[​IMG]

I've also taught myself left handed shooting. Some days I'm even better left. Rifles lefty and shotguns right or left.

I don't like angling my head like this guy does. You see a lot of women at the range doing it too.

[​IMG]

19. Branth

Branth Member

Yeah, but then I'd have to be legitimate... :p

20. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Well we can't have that.