Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a tankless electric water heater? I'm getting ready to install one. Anyone have any complaints with them? The one I'm getting ready to install requires 2 60amp breakers. I think that should leave me with plenty of extra juice off of a 200 amp panel. As long as i stick with a NG furnace. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
A 200 amp service is plenty of power to run that water heater. Your gas bill should drop quite a bit.
my05hammer

How long have you had yours? Is there any down side to it?

I got a gas water heater that getting long in the tooth and was looking at one of these. Since I travel alot and can't see heating water when no ones home.

Thanks

Walt

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
your gas bill will drop but your elect. will will go up. Gas is more effeminacy for heating then elec. but the idea of demand only is great . i got a old heater I hope to be able to install a tankless when it goes out m98

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
A 200 amp service is plenty of power to run that water heater. Your gas bill should drop quite a bit.
my05hammer

How long have you had yours? Is there any down side to it?

I got a gas water heater that getting long in the tooth and was looking at one of these. Since I travel alot and can't see heating water when no ones home.

Thanks

Walt
I do not have one (yet). But I am an electrician and I know one individual who does have one. He loves it. It only uses power when the water is running and takes around 30-40 seconds to start producing hot water.

The only down side is that these units are usually installed at point of use so each faucet would require one of these heaters. But if you install it or have it installed where your gas heater was and you insulate your hot water pipes, you could do the whole house with one. However... if you deside to take a shower, and your kids turn on the clothes washer and the dish washer at the same time, you will be taking a cold shower if the 5500Watts is not enough to keep up with that demand.

I say go for it and tell them to keep the washers of during your showers.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Requires two 60 Amp Breakers? Or a dual pole 60 Amp Breaker?

Make sure you size the wire properly.

Also If I were you I would >>>MAKE SURE THAT THE BREAKER YOU USE IS OF THE GFCI TYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<<<

>>>DO NOT USE A STANDARD BREAKER!!<<< You could die dude. If you use a GFCI type breaker you will be totally protected and SAFE.

I hope I made that really clear.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I think he is talking more about bigger units, like the Rinnai tankless water heater.... not the "under the sink" type.

We built our house in 2007 and had a Rinnai installed instead of the old tank water heaters. We LOVE it. Ours is propane. We had the 150 gallon propane tank buried out by the garage and it provides propane to the tankless water heater, the island cook top in the kitchen and to my grill on the back porch.

But I digress. The Rinnai flash heats the water as needed. You still have the delay to get hot water to the faucet you are using. Our unit was installed in the block wall of our garage. You wouldn't even know it was there unless you knew what to look for... just a white panel used to access the guts of the unit if needed. This technology has been used in Asia and parts of Europe for a long time. I was stationed in Japan in the late 80's and friends of mine that lived in town had these type of water heaters. I'm a big fan!

If such things matter to you... Rush Limbaugh has been advertising these for years.

Buzz

edit for spelling

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
If such things matter to you... Rush Limbaugh has been advertising these for years.

Buzz

edit for spelling
Uh Yea. Oh I actually ment to say no comment. All kidding aside. I do alot of driving and listen to all sides, all parties, groups, etc. Only way to keep informed when on the road.

As far as the tankless water heaters. I appriciate everyones input and assistance on this. Keep the suggestions coming guys.

I was thinking electric. Just because Kilowatts where I live are far less expensive than natural gas or propane. Go figure. Coal fired power plants are cheaper than clean natural gas or propane.

Walt

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, this is what I'm looking at.

http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/tempra.html

I'm looking at the tempra 24 Plus on this chart.

http://www.stiebel-eltron-usa.com/techdata_tempranew.html

I read a big long dissertation on these the other day that has me under the understanding that these are actually more efficient than the gas type. Venting etc. One of the things they were talking about was that electricity is becoming cheaper in part of new types of generation and the energy crunch.

(here it is)
http://www.tankless-water-heaters.com/gasvelectric.htm

I'd like to go with the three phase unit, but I'd have to get the power company involved. As it sit's right now all I'm going to have to do is put in a new 200 amp box. I already spoke with them and they said the drop has been updated to output 200 amps (The owner had to do it a couple weeks ago as part of the sale conditions on the house as they had had everything disconnected and the power company made them upgrade it before they would turn it back on). So I'll just swap out the 100amp old box for a new 200Amp service panel.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad I could help. Deciding in a tankless has been a strange journey. I hope I chose wisely. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'll take lots of pictures.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts