Target backers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by drscot, Sep 2, 2015.

1. drscot

drscot Member

I have a steel and wood framed target holder but am having difficulty finding the best target backing material for it. Most have recommended cardboard, but one rainfall and it is history. Does anybody have any recommendations for a cost-effective and readily available material that will hold up to the weather at least for awhile?:confused:

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I just let my grass grow until I get a yellow Sign of Shame from the city telling me that if I don't mow, they'll do it for me and charge me a couple hundred bucks. Then I mow. The Sign of Shame is a cheap steel "H" frame with a corrugated yellow plastic board printed with the shaming threat. Think of it as part of a cardboard box except made of plastic.

So, I get this corrugated yellow plastic board FOR FREE! All I have to do is be lazy for a few weeks then do what I would normally do anyhow (mow). ;)

Alternately, you could probably just buy corrugated plastic board from a hobby store or where ever the local range buys theirs from.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. corrugated plastic boxes are great, so is Ply wood. you shoot a few holes out of them and they will last years along as you dont go full auto and pretend your a saw.

4. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

The last target I bought at Wally world had the corrugated backing on it. You might check it out. It will last as long as the target does anyhow. I used it for sighting in my buds rifle (it was a little windy). Put 6 holes in it and it had six nice little holes coming out the back. Not blown apart.

5. rickm

rickm Member

Love them plastic corrugated signs and their wire frames i get all i want around election time just by pulling them up when we mow on the road right a ways, pisses me off that it is against the law to put signs on a right a way but where does the politicians put them they think they are above the law and i take pleasure in taking them down.

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    LOTS of corrugated plastic signs in the grocery stores!
    I asked and they said "take all you want!"
    Try That, Dr. Scot!

FREE!!!

7. histed

histed Supporting Member

And I thought I was cheap! Thanks mole, you young whipper-snapper.

8. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Go to a truck stop. Find a spot where the drivers back against a curb. Pick up the mud flaps left behind from where the drivers pinch the mud flaps between the tires and the curb and pull them off. Make sure you get the rubber ones.

9. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I also use those plastic corrugated signs with the wire frames! I staple paper plates to mine. :cool:

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Pizza boxes.....

11. talon

talon the banned wagon

I just find the most annoying neighborhood kid, and tell him "hey ill give you $5 if you just hold this piece of paper with the circles on it, right down there between those two wooden posts."

12. I go to the dollar store and get poster sized foam board with paper on both sides, duct tape to wood uprights than tape on target. Pick up pack of self sticking white dot to cover holes for more use.