Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just acquired a Taurus .25 acp
do you think this little pea shooter would be of any use as a self defense "carry weapon"?
I can't imagine relying on anything less than a 9mm.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
25 is anemic even compared to 22LR. that said i have a raven 25 that finds its way into my pockets pretty regular. its more about having a gun that easily concealable than actually putting someone down with it.

SW
but if you had to shoot a BG with it, wouldn't it tend to make him mad?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I googled "dead killed .22 caliber" and lotsa dead people killed by them popped up.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Besides the ballistic characteristics of the .22, the reason that some many people have been killed by a .22 is that it is a very, very common round.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I know i wouldn't wanna be shot with one, and btw, who said you had to shoot the bg once anyhow? The concealable pistols are fantastic for CCW. I'm thinking of getting a bitty KelTec .32 myself. I'd like to see HP come out with a smaller, lighter frame to shoot 32acp.
Nice looking firearm btw! X

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had the PT25 in nickel and rosewood. I loved it and mine shot great--- I carried it as a bug while I had it and only sold it due to the high cost of .25.

As far a .25acp goes, I like it better than a .22. Being a centefire, it is more reliable shooting- -and for the distance I would shoot a mousegun at, .25 is fine to pop someone with.

I would pick up another- if the price of ammo would come down.

+1 on the PT25

·
Registered
428 Posts
A friend of mine just acquired a Taurus .25 acp
do you think this little pea shooter would be of any use as a self defense "carry weapon"?
I can't imagine relying on anything less than a 9mm.
Can't answer your question, but that's a sharp looking .25!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
That is a sharp looking .25. I have a FIE Titan .25. It wouldn't be my first choice of SD. Even with JHPs (the rounds I keep for mine) it is weak as a self-defense round. That having been said, if you were close to the BG, and emptied the clip, you could defend yourself.

On the plus side, it's so small, with a little practice you can be fairly accurate with them. it's just like pointing your finger at some one.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
I've never even seen .25 ammo before. Of course I've never looked for it either. I see many people saying its expensive. How much is it? And why would such a small bullet be so expensive?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never even seen .25 ammo before. Of course I've never looked for it either. I see many people saying its expensive. How much is it? And why would such a small bullet be so expensive?
Same reason a wheel chair costs way more than a bicycle. When you sell something on a smaller scale development costs are harder to get back.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I don't know if any handguns are even being manufactured in .25 auto anymore. It's just not a popular caliber anymore, now that technology has enabled the manufacture of easily concealable handguns in larger calibers.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Having a 25 acp is kinda like having a rusty screwdriver with a 20 ft range. Its not my first choice for a carry gun but it beats the hell out of well a rusty screwdriver. The weapons that shoot it are ussualy small light and easey to conceal aand carry. The big selling point on it is that it is centerfire so less likely to result in fail to fires. As for the gun I has a Taurus like that in 22LR the fireing pin broke on it after 2 range trips and no I wasnt dryfireing it. I would go with a raven over the taurus I have never had any issues with mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.