Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Taurus 380 revolver? I find it to be an interesting oddity. Any observations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
No experience. My only observation would be that in .380, the Ruger and Keltec pistols are smaller, cheaper, and carry more rounds. And they don’t need “Stellar” clips to run reliably. Taurus calls the moon clips that, because...they look like snowflakes with 5 sides?

Reactions: moona11

·
Registered
679 Posts
<snip>

Sorry I now see that you are asking about the revolver and not the semi autos.

·
Premium Member
9,336 Posts
My only reason to get one is because I like the cartridge. I like the 45 acp, and the 380 is nothing more than a downsized 45 acp.

I would like to own a 380 revolver. Taurus comes close to a good one I think, but no cigar. I have three gripes with it. I do not, and have never owned the Taurus 380 revolver, but I have shot one.

First, even though the frame is downsized, it's still to big. They could have cut it back probably another 1/2 inch or thereabouts. Or at least cut the cylinder size back. There is absolutely no reason for a cylinder to be longer than absolutely necessary. Take a que from Ruger when they made their target 9mm on a 357 mag frame.
F98D061A-BD38-46B1-9ECE-765EBFD1ADBF.jpeg

Maybe not pretty, but effective.

Next it does not have a hammer spur. I know, it's a defensive revolver. You shouldn't worry about cocking it. Point and shoot. And I agree, but l like hanger spurs. I believe the Ruger LCR is the perfect defensive revolver, and I would highly recommend you get one in the caliber of your choice, but my LCR's are the X models.

And finally the trigger sucks, not just a little bit, but a whole lot. It is heavier than (______) after an all you can eat buffet.

Good looking revolver though.
AD1BECA7-2EE0-4625-978E-7B377BB94695.jpeg

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
35,833 Posts
That’s sad about the trigger. I took my Taurus 605 out today, it’s got a really, really nice SA trigger, and the DA isn’t bad at all. I haven’t shot anything to compare it to, but it’s not heavy or overly long. Ran my new reloads, shoots where I point it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ajole

I agree the LCP is a far superior weapon. I have had mixed results with Kel Tec (a P32 that was sorely disappointing and a P17 that I really like).

And in the grand scheme of things, I would like to remove the 380 from the calibers I have. But I have yet to find a better pocket gun than the LCP. I would really like to try the DB9 Gen 4 but haven't found one reasonably priced yet.

@greg_r

Thank you for the information. I have read it was smaller than a J frame or LCR but only marginally so. I would like to find a small revolver that falls somewhere in between a Mini and a J frame/LCR. That is really one of the main reasons for looking at this particular gun (although a really good deal would make it very appealing as well :) ).

I am fine with it not having a hammer. But the trigger is a big issue. In my limited J frame/LCR experience the triggers take a lot of getting used to and with 380 ammo so expensive it would make getting used to it a very expensive process.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would like to own one for my 380 collection, I have a dozen 'pocket' 380's and one compact, a revolver would make it a little more complete.

Surprisingly, I have 2K+ rounds FMJ on hand in case I need to test, maybe 150 carry rounds

1 - 8 of 8 Posts