Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am saving to purchase ether a Taurus 92 9mm or a Springfield XD 9mm anyone have an opinion?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Well it all depends on the looks and functions of the gun,..which do you perfer? I cant speak personally for the Taurus as ive never shot or had one. I used to have a XD-40 and I absolutely loved the gun. It fit in my hand nicely, shot great out of the box and was very accurate. Its one of those things I regret having to sell. If I could go back in time, I'd never have sold it. Again, its what you prefer, perhaps you could go to range and try them both out and see which one you like better?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Springfield XD without a doubt. I have the 4" 9mm and I love it. If I was getting something like the Taurus 92, I would get the original Beretta 92. Better gun IMO and mags are plentiful and cheap, unlike the Taurus. The mags are not the same on those guns. I have a Beretta M96 .40 and I love it as well.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
taurus has recently taken a nosedive in quality and customer service. if the choice is solid to those two take the XD everytme. if you want that style of weapon go for the beretta. good gun.

SW

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all for the info, SW i was just reading about what you said about taurus, I really like the 92 style , but i also want to be able to carry it comfortably seeing as the 92 style is full frame i think the XD will be my choice.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
The Taurus PT-92 was my first full-size handgun. I really liked it; it shot well and had low-recoil because of its heft. That said, when the time came I upgraded to the Beretta because that's what I wanted in the first place. I think overall the XD is the better gun between the two. The only reason I'd prefer the Taurus (or Beretta) to the XD is I like a DA/SA over the XD or GLOCK striker system. That's just a personal taste thing though.

-'b

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have a PT 92 and I like it alot I would take it over a XD but that b/c i m not5 a real big fan of DOA striker fired pistols. But it is a hoss and alot to CC so I offer this option
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_cougar.php
I have recently had a chance to handle and fire one of these seems to kinda fill the niche your looking for too

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
^ If you like the cougar, you'll wet yourself when you shoot the PX4.

As to the original post it'll basically come down to your preference on Hammer of Striker fired. Me personally, I favor having a Hammer on my weapons

·
Registered
663 Posts
IMHO XD hands down. But if you are going to get a XD9mm why not get the XDm.
Just a little more and a real sweet shooter.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Having fired both designs before, I would have to go with the XD9. I own one, and it is a great pistol. I keep it clean, and it has functioned PERFECT for about 850 rounds so far. The quality, and finish is better than a Taurus PT92, and the price isn't too bad either.

The Springfield XD is what the Glock is wishing it was right now.

·
Registered
721 Posts
in before the @#$%storm

But I have the XD9 sub for carry and it is very nice. I would really like to have the $ for a 45 as well

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Having fired both designs before, I would have to go with the XD9. I own one, and it is a great pistol. I keep it clean, and it has functioned PERFECT for about 850 rounds so far. The quality, and finish is better than a Taurus PT92, and the price isn't too bad either.

so how do you explain the well documented premature part failures (trigger pins, hammer springs), rust problems (early models), poor sights and lack of aftermarket support? glock had none of these problems but the springfield is superior?

looks like somebody drank the croat' kool-aid.

SW

·
Registered
253 Posts
Nope. I don't drink kool-aid. I go off of personal experience.

I owned a Glock model 21 that broke at the feed ramp, after about 67 rounds of standard factory, 230 grain FMJ. I also owned a Glock Model 23 that cracked at the front dust cover. I fired a rented Glock 17 and the rear dovetail sight flew off. Either Glocks hate me for some reason, or they are crap products for the price (in MY experience). Smith and Wesson makes pretty much the exact same design (I know they were sued by Glock because of it - I've read into that story a while ago) for about 250-300 dollars less (the only big difference is the trigger assemblies). In fact, I took a slide off of a Smith and Wesson Sigma .40 cal and it almost fit completely on a Glock 21 frame. Glock has/have many problems and they are well documented. Heck, every make of pistol has had problems (i.e Ruger SR-9, Kimber pistols, Taurus, Smith and Wesson, etc, etc.....). Also, good aftermarket support doesn't mean the weapon system is the greatest thing. It just means that the weapon system is very common, and there is money to be made.

I compared the Glock and the XD very closely, and I have to say that the XD has much more thought put into the internals. They are more durable than the Glocks, and I expect them to withstand the test of time. Plus, with my personal experience, I have yet to experience one single hiccup from my XD-9. The XD is not the best platform out there, but I believe they provide more quality for the money. The aftermarket products for the XD aren't as plentiful as the Glock (pretty close), but considering how much newer the design is compared to the Glock, I would say that the aftermarket base is increasing very rapidly.

The Glock is a product of very good marketing. I could go on for a long time on the flaws that I personally feel make it an inferior pistol for the amount of money it takes to get one. I won't because everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and they are free to purchase whatever they are comfortable with. I figure you probably own a Glock, so you may take offense that I don't like them, but oh well. If you do own a few Glocks, I do hope they run without any problems for a long time. Nothing is more frustrating than having a broken pistol.

...................just don't call me a kool-aid drinker. You don't know me.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
My G17 has over 18,000 rounds through it with only one part failure and that was my fault. ill take two decades of proven severe service over name any day. and when it comes to broken parts, wait until your trigger pin fails. this is happening more and more everytime i visit a forum of XD owners. it will tie up the gun solid and you are screwed. as to glock failures the only well documanted one that is widespread is the 40 cal catastrophic failures and that is usually due to incorrectly loaded ammo or lead bullets causing pressure buildup. there are other failures but they are very limited in scope.

also the grip angle you are comfortable with makes a BIG difference. the XDs are made with a 1911 grip angle while glocks are quite different.

if the XD works for you thats fine. im simply pointing out that it has flaws. just like a glock does. ive been accused of drinking the glock kool aid more than once and i simply agree. once you go black you never go back.

SW

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is the perfect example of how experiences differ between people. The XD is not perfect. No pistol is.....there is no such thing.

As far as the pin goes, from what I understand, it's from incorrect re-installation after heavy breakdown of the weapon. This is something only armorers should do, and only do after they are qualified to work on the XD (taking the armorer's course). That is something they cover in the training.

The grip angle does mean alot to me. I'm a 1911 guy, so that should say everything right there. I love the grip angle on the XD. It's much more intuitive for me.

I still stand by my belief that the Glock is overpriced. S&W is doing it for cheaper, and the quality is about the same (minus the Tennifer finish, and the Glock trigger assemblies). Once the Glock line of pistols get down to around 350-400 dollars, I may then think about purchasing one again, just to have one. That is all I feel they are worth, and anything over that is price gouging in my opinion.

Glocks have withstood the famous torture tests, but they aren't the only one:

http://springfield-armory.primediaoutdoors.com/SPstory11.php

To each their own, though. That's what makes things interesting. If everyone had the exact same weapon, things would get a little boring at the ranges.

.....................I wonder if anyone has done a torture test of any kind to a Hi-Point?

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's a tourtre test of the XD on their website. I can't remember the address but a quick google search will get it for you. The tester looks like McLovin from Superbad.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What a discussion.

While I can see both sides of the argument. I agree that the XD line of guns is a very good line. I currently own 2 XD and 1 XDM and they are all fine guns that have never given me a hint of trouble. Had a XD40 Service but sold it because 40SW ammo cost so much more than 9mm and I prefer 9mm and 45acp over 40SW.

I don't own a Glock but some day this year I hope to get a G17Compensated. I got to shoot one at the range about 2 years ago, and I was very surprised at how little recoil there was, how good the sights were and how accurate the gun was.

Having said that, I can honestly say that my non-compensated XDm9mm shoots just as good as the G17 did. Good sights, very low recoil and very accurate. I still want the Glock though.

It all boils down choice, and what we want to buy.
Many years ago I wanted to buy Taurus guns. I was warned away from it but wanted to try them still.
So I bought some, and learned from personal experience that (using the Taurus guns that I bought as my base of opinion) on the guns I bought the quality of the guns was less than poor.
Having a gun brake and have to send it in before you ever shoot it, and having another gun start dropping frame screws while you are at the range shooting it does not endear me to the brand.
My HPs that cost less than half what the Taurus did have never failed me, I have never had to send my HPs in for repair.

So again I see both sides. In the end though I think both brands are quality brands. But as I believe SGT-MILLER pointed out. All brands have their lemons. I got some Taurus lemons, he got some Glock lemons and SW has had or heard about some XD lemons.
In an imperfect world. Things are imperfect.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts