Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
28,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I see that Taurus has come out with the Compact version of their G3. I had the G2C and I liked most things about it. It was maybe 15-20% larger than my Kel Tec P11 (also 12 round mags) but definitely smaller than my Glock G19.

But what I was really torn about was the trigger. I liked the SA / Second-Strike DA option but I hated how far back it broke. It was pretty much on the frame when it finally broke. Is the G3C any different in this respect? I'm not a trigger snob but that long draw and far-back-break was enough to make me take it off of my list of guns to buy again.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
21,785 Posts
The take up with the G2C is HUUUUUUUGE!. Yet the reset is extremely short. Just don't shoot it like a revolver.
If you're not sure on the trigger buy a Glock G45 Gen5. This G3 is a copy. I will get a G3 eventually. I have the G45. My favorite Glock to shoot.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
Last week I was on grabagun and found G3c in stock, had one in my cart and canceled, dumb, out of stock 15 minutes later. I will buy one later, the price will probably come down. Bought this G3 locally because I had nonbuyer remorse Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
36,313 Posts
That trigger doesn’t bother me. Reset is short, you can shoot faster than you can aim, so think of it as a good over travel stop, and quit thinking like Glock or 1911 people do, that if it’s not like theirs, it’s wrong.

It’s not wrong, it’s just different. It’s only bad if you want it to be bad.

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
That trigger doesn't bother me. Reset is short, you can shoot faster than you can aim, so think of it as a good over travel stop, and quit thinking like Glock or 1911 people do, that if it's not like theirs, it's wrong.

It's not wrong, it's just different. It's only bad if you want it to be bad.
Sorry Al, but I think you are wrong. Then again, I AM one of those 1911 guys. :confused:

There is not really a problem with the trigger itself, the problem is the distance between the break and the palm of your hand. The bigger your hand is the worse the problem becomes. This is why a lot of Taurus pistols have the tendency to shoot low left - for a right handed. Opposite for the lefties.

I have never fired a G3 so I honestly can not say how I feel about the Taurus trigger on that pistol. My Taurus PT809 had pretty much the same trigger, but without the dingus. I put the large blackstrap on and no problems with it. Matter of fact, I think I have said here several times how much I liked that pistol. The PT708 was a completely different story. I absolutely hated that one.

I will give it to Taurus, that trigger has a very fast reset.

in the end, I wish I had kept my 809, and my 692 revolver has one of the nicest triggers for an untouched factory one. But I will not buy another Taurus semi-automatic with the Taurus DA/SA trigger unless I can put it in my hand before I order one. Or it will need to have exchangeable back-straps.

Keep on you enablers, dang you. You are going to cause me to order the PT809's predecessor, the Taurus TH9.

Reactions: ajole

·
Super Moderator
5,283 Posts
I've had a G3 since just after Christmas. The trigger is long, but much smoother that my SD9VE. The reset is short and I find it faster to shoot than either the SD9 or the Ruger EC9. Being left-handed, my gripe is the non-ambi safety. Otherwise I think it's a good pistol. Though I haven't shot one, I'm guessing the trigger on the compact will be the same

·
Administrator
28,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That trigger doesn't bother me. Reset is short, you can shoot faster than you can aim, so think of it as a good over travel stop, and quit thinking like Glock or 1911 people do, that if it's not like theirs, it's wrong.
I don't care if it's not like the Glock or a 1911. The trigger breaking so far back at the frame was uncomfortable and off-putting to me. It didn't feel like any other trigger, even the long DA triggers of KT or revolvers. It threw off my trigger press, not because it was long, but because of where it finally broke; almost when my hand was clenched into a fist. I had to not only engage the 2nd joint of the trigger finger, but had to put a lot of the large knuckle joint, which tended to throw my shots to my left unless I worked really hard at it.

Bio-mechanically speaking, the way the trigger is set up just doesn't work for me and, I suspect, for a lot of people. Bio-mechanically, some things just mate better with the way the human body works. It's one reason why I say that, if you must have a thumb safety on a handgun, "down for fire, up for safe" is right.

It's not wrong, it's just different. It's only bad if you want it to be bad.
I'm anything except a trigger snob. Unless we're talking about a nice 1911 or a nice rifle trigger, I don't care a whole lot about "crunchy," or "mushy," or whatever. Yes, I can feel them, and yes it can make a difference, but it's not something that's really going to consistently throw off your trigger press unless you really work to not. The trigger on the G2 series has earned a reputation for making it easy to pull shots to the left. I certainly found it to be so.

And if the G3 series has the same sort of mechanics behind the trigger shape, then I'm just less interested in it. Yes, a 2nd strike capability in a striker-fired gun is cool and if someone thinks it's a reasonable trade off for the way that trigger breaks, I won't argue their choice, but I don't make the same choice.

Understand, I'm not saying the G2C was a bad gun. I think it was OK. Not the smallest. Not the lightest. Not the most bestest trigger. But it was fine for it's purpose and if other people want to buy, use, and carry it, that's fine too. It will work for that. I'm not going to tell them that they chose wrong or bought a bad gun or some horsie about "gun of the poors" b.s. They'll just have to learn a different trigger press and work extra to make sure that they don't pull shots to the left.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
28,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had a G3 since just after Christmas. The trigger is long, but much smoother that my SD9VE. The reset is short and I find it faster to shoot than either the SD9 or the Ruger EC9. Being left-handed, my gripe is the non-ambi safety. Otherwise I think it's a good pistol. Though I haven't shot one, I'm guessing the trigger on the compact will be the same
My gripe with the G2C wasn't that the trigger was long, it's that it broke so far back that I was practically clenching my fist, making it easy to pull my shots to the left (I'm right handed).

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
28,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just buy a hi-point and quit your bitching!
I have a C9.

I'm not going to buy a G3C because I just don't like the trigger and think that it is bio-mechanically flawed. I am probably going to buy a SCCY DVG1-RDS when I start seeing them in the LGS.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
36,313 Posts
Maybe it’s my short fingered and thumbed hands, I have a hard time getting to most mag releases, but bio mechanically, Taurus triggers just work for me.

Watched some 50 meter small bore World Cup thing the other day, it was funny watching them and looking at how completely different their grip and trigger was compared to most guns. One guy was pumping his trigger finger, you could see it moving many times before he finally broke the shot. But then, he placed 5th, so maybe not a great technique. On the other hand, he is ranked top 20 in the world.

·
Administrator
28,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe it's my short fingered and thumbed hands, I have a hard time getting to most mag releases, but bio mechanically.
Me too. I consider it a design flaw. It's one that I often have to work around, frequently by using the support hand thumb to trigger the mag release. I don't like it and I try to look for pistols that work better for me in that regard.

I'm on the fence about the paddle release there on the trigger guard.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
9,656 Posts
not because it was long, but because of where it finally broke; almost when my hand was clenched into a fist.
This ^^^^^ is it in a nutshell

think about this. the SCCY has a trigger that breaks way back as well. but it has not garnered the reputation of a low left shooter. why? look how deep the grip is front to back. the deep grim moved the palm back and negates the rear breaking trigger.

·
Premium Member
36,313 Posts
Me too. I consider it a design flaw. It's one that I often have to work around, frequently by using the support hand thumb to trigger the mag release. I don't like it and I try to look for pistols that work better for me in that regard.

I'm on the fence about the paddle release there on the trigger guard.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
OMG, Kirk! If HK says it's the way to do it, why do you resist? Silly mortal.

I've been looking for a paddle release gun in my price range. Walther is getting closer, but mostly with button guns.

·
Premium Member
36,313 Posts

think about this. the SCCY has a trigger that breaks way back as well. but it has not garnered the reputation of a low left shooter. why? look how deep the grip is front to back. the deep grim moved the palm back and negates the rear breaking trigger.
I don't get that. My trigger finger moves independently of the rest of my fingers.
My Bersa also has a trigger that breaks way back by the frame. So does my CZ82.
Maybe they have a longer web-to-trigger distance? But they are compact guns.

·
Administrator
28,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Good to know.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have a G3 and love it. Especially love the SA/DA with a laser training system. Wanted something smaller though to carry for the summer (GA weather) and ended up with a Ruger EC9S. When able though the G3 is with me. Almost bought a G2S though. The G3 takedown is so much easier than the Ruger.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have 2 G2's - one I bought a few years ago and one I bought last year from an acquaintance in another newsgroup. Got that one for my wife for $159 NIB. She likes it although hers has the 'notchiness' in the trigger still. I put a stainless striker striker guide in mine and that has been fixed. Not really bothered by how far back it breaks but that's just me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts