Taurus PT 111 G2 vs 709 Slim

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by tjulian, May 22, 2016.

1. tjulian

tjulian Member

I am looking at getting one of these two pistols, as they fall within my price range and feel good in my hand. I will be carrying the pistol.

So I was wondering if I could get some thoughts on a comparison of the two.

I know on paper the pt 111 is slightly larger and feels larger in my hand. But that may be because it is a double stack. I am concerned that the pt 111 just wont feel that much smaller than my C9 when I have carried it. I know it is lighter, but I'm more concerned about the feel (size). I have an alien gear 3.0 tuck holster.

I have read some discussion on other forums comparing the two and some people said that the 709 was not fun to shoot. But then general reviews say it is low recoiling. On the forums, they have also said that the trigger on the 709 is not as good, but I'm no expert on that.

A friend of mine likes the pt 111 over the 709. He has shot both, and said he shot better with the pt 111. But that he is also used to larger pistols and not a small one like the 709. He also said the magazine and slide felt looser on the gun he shot, but it could have just been that gun.

This will be a big $$$ purchase for me so making a decision is hard, since I have not shot either gun. I was hoping to go to a range that is an hour away and shoot the guns, but they don't have the 709 to rent.

So if anyone is familiar with both guns, can you please provide me with some advice? As always, any help will be appreciated.

2. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Out of the two you mention, i would go with the 111. You might also want to check out the Sccy CPX1 or CPX2. I had the 111 but quicky sold it after I bought the SCCY CPX2. Much better for me. Plus, it is less expensive and has a lifetime warranty, no questions asked. YMMV.

3. Hipointer

Hipointer Member

I own one of each, and as far as "shootability" goes, I have to give the nod to the G2. As far as carry goes, most certainly the 709. JMHO.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I had a 709, my SIL carries the 111. I have shot both extensively. My 709 shot over 2000 rounds without a failure. The 111 as far as I know, also has not had a failure, at least it has never had a failure when I was shooting it. Both guns are basically the same. They have the same trigger, single action with a double action 2nd strike capability. In single action mode the trigger has a lot of takeup, then hits a wall, stacks, and breaks at the very rear of the trigger guard. The 709 is a little thinner and holds less rounds. The 709 does carry very well, have not tried carrying the 111. The 111 feels better in the hand, has better ergonomics.

If I had to choose? The SCCY! CPX2 if you do not want a safety or the CPX1 if you do. It's about the same money as the two Taurus guns you mention.

Sorry, but I absolutely hate the trigger on the Taurus 709 and 111. That's the reason I traded off a perfectly functioning firearm. Plus the SCCY has much better customer service. If you have issues with your Taurus, you can expect it to be gone months, not weeks. I sent one Taurus off and was so disgusted I traded off 2 others that were in the same family. Unfortunately I did have to send my SCCY back once, I had it back in less than a week. It was in the shop, repaired, and back on the UPS truck the same day.

5. tjulian

tjulian Member

Thanks for the replies.

I guess what I'm asking is the pt111 a higher quality gun over the 709?

6. My PT709 Slim is my daily carry pistol. It replaced my east German Makarov pistol. Not a bad little pistol!!! It will cycle and shoot my LRN reloads all day long and print some decent groups:D:D I'm happy with mine

Taurus has improved the quality of their pistols. I also own a PT1911 and it's a great shooter!!

7. tjulian

tjulian Member

Bigmau do you believe there is any quality difference in the two pistols?

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think the quality is the same. It comes down to do you want more capacity, or less width?

For me, I prefer the less width in a carry gun. I have the PT140, and a similar sized Springfield XD-SC, but I MUCH prefer carrying the Keltecs I have.

If I lived in a city or a high crime area, I might think differently, but I don't.;)

9. hughewil

hughewil Member

Pt111 is an easy carry IWB. never tried a709 but compared to the c9 the pt111 is much less bulky and much lighter.

10. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

The only thing I don't like in the pt111 is the grip cuts into my side when iwc. I could and should go back to carrying the p11 instead fit better for me. It no just resides in the car

11. I really like my G2 and have had no issues.

I believe quality will be the same as I think they are manufactured in the same location.

I researched both before acquiring the PT111. The 709 is smaller/slimmer and is therefore easier to carry and conceal. The trade off is less magazine capacity and more recoil. I specifically remember reading a few threads where people took their 709 back and picked up the PT111 due to the snappier recoil because the 709 not only has less mass, but the grip is more narrow than the PT111.

12. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Recoil is quite tolerable on the 709, and I'm no Elmer Keith.

13. moona11

Recoil in not an issue for men, women children and anything else other than babies
    Kirk is recoil sensitive

lklawson likes this.
  14. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

I would add SWAGA to that list! :rofl:

15. moona11

Actually swags shoots big boy guns.

16. I guess it boils down to which one works the best for you. I like the fact I can slide the PT709 in the pocket of my cargo shorts and it does not print.

I'd also add a Talon grip to the PT709.... You will get a better hold on this small pistol. I added skateboard tape to mine.
    http://talongungrips.com/grips/taurus/pt709-pt740.html

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Less expensive? I bought the PT111 from KYGunCo. They have it for $210 + s&h. Beats their price of $275-$290 for the SCCY.

IMS, Taurus also has a lifetime-of-the-gun ("transferable") warranty.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The Kel Tec P11 is the same gun and, I've found, often at a better price.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Good point. The P11 is smaller in every dimension but has the same magazine capacity (12+1). It has a slightly heavier trigger but it's a consistent pull throughout, not the somewhat odd PT111 trigger pull which has a lot of takeup then gets heavy at the end and finally breaks at the very end of the trigger pull. It's not a bad pull, per se, but it's, well, different. Takes some getting used to.

The Kel Tec PF9 is a similar comparison to the Taurus PT709. Same capacity, but smaller in every dimension. The trigger pull on the PF9 is, imo, "better" than that of either the P11 or the Taurus PT111 & PT709

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yup. I can only put about one box through my P64 before I'm done with it. When people complain about how "snapy" their Kel Tec PF9 is, I guffaw and think of my P64. Darned accurate little shooter, though. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk