Taurus TH9

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by greg_r, Sep 6, 2020.

1. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I once had a Taurus PT809. I shot 3 gun with it, a DPMS Sportical, and a H&R Pardner Pump Protector. I do not recall any issues with my PT809. I liked it a lot. I do believe it was the sleeper of the Taurus line.

I got rid of the PT809 during the Taurus class action. Sent a 24/7 chambered in 45 acp because I had basically wore it out. It just needed new springs, but no. Taurus would not send them to me. I had to send them the pistol. They would rebuild and send it back. Then the class action hit. There was no comparable pistol in 45 acp to replace it with. I had 2 Millenniums in 45 acp, and a 3rd in 380. Rather than have the Millenniums replaced with something I didn’t want, I traded them at the LGS for a brace of KAHRS, one in 45 acp, the other in 380 acp. During the class action fiasco I used the PT809 for a down payment on a Ruger American. A trade made in spite. I should of kept the PT809. The Ruger is the better pistol, and I do like it. But the PT809 was just comfortable.

I keep thinking I want a Taurus TH9. It is the evolution of the PT809. I do believe I would like it. You can carry these pistols cocked and locked, like the Colt 1911, or DA/SA like the Beretta 92. 17 +1, and a replaceable back strap. And while it has the Taurus trigger that breaks far back, the distance between palm and break can be adjusted. The trigger is not an issue. Reset is though. It is extremely fast! The PT809 and it’s offspring, the TH9, have a lot going for them for not a lot of money. I will not buy one. I just don’t have the need. My Ruger American Pistol serves me well. But I do like the Taurus.

the PT809

And the TH9
    https://www.taurususa.com/firearms/pistols/th9/th9-pistols-9mm-luger-17-round-matte-black-2/

Rerun and CowboyBob like this.
  2. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Haven't watched the video yet. I have watched several videos on it in the past. It is a gun I really considered, that and the smaller version. I was like, "no I don't want a hammer fired gun." I've changed my way of thinking on that.

Just don't think I need another 9mm.

greg_r likes this.

3. greg_r

Guess I am old school. I like hammer fired. My bigger gripe about the Ruger American is that it’s striker fired, which is the reason You will see me carry my P95 or my Security 9’s more often

Rerun and CowboyBob like this.
  4. TheLASwamp

TheLASwamp Member

The Taurus G3 full size looks like a nice pistol. They were on sale for just over $200 not that long ago. I kinda wish I had picked one up then. But, I really don't need another 9mm. I'd love to have another .45 ACP, but unless cost is no object, this is the opposite of the salad days.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2020
    TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  5. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Not everything needs a political spin to be a valid conversation. Talk about the firearm, not your personal politics.

6. TheLASwamp

TheLASwamp Member

Sounds like someone needs to eat a Snickers.

7. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm tired of moving threads to the politics section because people can't talk about anything else. Follow the rules of the board and the TOS/TOU or move along.

8. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

I own one Taurus firearm. PT940. It’s a solid non-polymer mid-size semiauto chambered in 40 S&W. Discontinued many years ago.
    IMG_3362.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3599.jpg
    Uses the same holster as the Sig P226.

greg_r, CowboyBob and moona11 like this.
  9. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Member

Love my PT809, its reliable as a hammer, shoots great, and five mags for it. I used it in USPSA and did reasonably well with it.
    I may get a TH9 as I like the look, I like the fact it is so close the my 809 and it uses the same mags.

10. greg_r

My understanding is that they use different mags?

Edit: They do use different mags. The base plate is different. I found this:
    • 809 mags do fit with a very minor modification. The base plate on the 809 will not clear the tail of the TH9 mag-well. You have to file or sand down the plastic base plate about an 1/8”.
    I went to a couple of web pages and you can definitely see the difference, but they do look the same except for the base plate.

Also found this on the Taurus USA web page. 38 special +P 6 shot with 3" barrel and Ameriglo front sight. Me likely!
    B3C8073C-851E-426B-97D5-AAE79D886BC1.png

11. greg_r

GoesBang likes this.
  12. greg_r

And a nice little 8 shot 22 Long Rifle Kit Gun. I do like a 3" barrel on a revolver! Go Taurus!
    C724F398-D15D-40C4-91D4-F5995D335F2A.png

Rerun likes this.
  13. CowboyBob

CowboyBob Member

The 809 will accept mags from TH9 with no mods....I forgot about it being the other way around needing the modification.
    Sorry bout the confusion.

14. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I bought my 5-shot SS Taurus Model 85 .38 Special revolver with 3" barrel back in the last Century, circa 1986.

It just fits inside the pockets of my Wrangler cargo pants.

A half inch shorter would fit perfectly.

eldar

15. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I bought my 5-shot SS Taurus Model 85 .38 Special revolver with 3" barrel back in the last Century, circa 1986.

It just fits inside the pockets of my Wrangler cargo pants.

A half inch shorter would fit perfectly.

eldar

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Stuck on repeat again are ya.

SWAGA likes this.
  17. Claymore

Claymore Member

Have one just like it !!

18. That's what she said ! :)

19. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Taurus gets bad rap, well deserved at times, but the ones I have owned I like. They are "comfortable" like Greg said.

I have a Taurus Raging Hunter .44 mag and my old 24/7 Pro compact in .40. Never sent it in because I had a feeling they would never "repair" it and just replace it.

My 24/7 is accurate and comfortable, if/when I do carry it, it's just in condition 3, just in case...

The Raging Hunter is a blast to shoot, no pun intended. But yeah I enjoy both.

20. Might be why his user name is "Rerun"?