Tax time

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by gunlover, Jan 30, 2016.

1. gunlover

gunlover Member

Just did my taxes and I'm not happy. I should be able to claim my dogs as dependents. Don't yet own a house, only debt is a student loan, and one credit card. Trying to figure out why I have to pay NC come tax time. Doesn't make sense. Anyone else getting little to nothing or having to pay the government this year? (First time having pay out for state taxes so I guess I'm lucky).

2. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Last year was the 1st time in 40 years I had to ever pay additional income tax. I always claim 0 dependents. I was ready to go to jail over it, but the wife wouldn't go with me?

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    You're so tight I bet you'd rather go to jail!!! :D

Heather, I rarely get a big return anymore, I'd rather get mine throughout
    the year and spend it on more important things. Kinda like the things gun
    nuts spend it on when they get a big refund ;) I end up owing the state
    when I work in 2 states and when I draw a good bit of unemployment in
    the prior year. Federal is usually a small return.

4. gunlover

gunlover Member

Atleast I'm not the only one!!

5. dirt_19

dirt_19 Supporting Member

I got hit hard this year . Probably the lowest " fed " refund check I have gotten since I was 15 " I don't know this for sure but would need to dig for the paper work " Some of it I expected the $300 ish for not having health insurance but apparently my raise this year didn't do me any favors . Also if it wasn't for the bunches of money I save on my car insurance I might even say I miss my ex dependant .

6. gunlover

gunlover Member

Both of mine are the lowest by far. Not sure what happened. Doesn't make much sense but who can we complain to??

7. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I had my best year ever. Had a little over 2 weeks off without pay. Claimed zero deductions. I did take a settlement offer from SallieMae. I got the 1099C from that yesterday. Now to go get my taxes filed. Short form probably. My mortgage interest went way down so it doesn't qualify when I take my standard personal deduction.

In NC you have a plethora of immigrants that are breaking your system. We have no state income tax in TN except for the 9.25-9.75% sales tax depending on locality. They do tax some investment income. I paid that when I bought my ammo.

"I CONVERTED MY IRA TO AMMO!" :p

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'm with Mole, Uncle Sugar doesn't get to sit on my money, I keep it and earn that whopping .02% interest in savings, until I "invest" it in a gun.;)

End of the year, I'm plus or minus a few hundred with the Feds.

9. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Tried doing mine yesterday, but something to do with my HSA account is making me wait until I get the tax form from the HSA company to get something figured out on the online return form. Couldn't even get an estimate for my returns until I get the proper info put in

10. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Taxes? What are these mythical taxes you speak of? Being retired does have its better points! Sure I am poor but I don't pay taxes anymore either!

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

We don't do to bad with taxes. Usually get a few thousand back from feds and a a $100 from the state.

12. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

2015 taxes is where I am going to have a problem. Wife and my income is SS.
    So not all that much. Deductibles?? Well, you cannot get a refund for more than you paid in for the year in taxes.

Soooo, I'm gonna get screwed over for certain. My wife's medical out of pocket
    expenses are roughly $28,000.00 and perhaps a bit more. :( Thank God we had IRA funds to pay that from. But, gonna drain a lot of that this year on out of pocket.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Exactly...

14. MXGreg

MXGreg Supporting Member

Sure you can. You just have to become an un-wed mother. When my ex-stepdaughter had her first, she made $5K in income, got a refund of $8500. I wasn't amused.

15. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

As a single guy I actually qualified 2 years in a row for earned income credit like the welfare moms! Back when I was running over the road $42.90 a day just for meals (no receipt needed) and my mortgage interest was high. Had a pro do my taxes. :p

BTW if your doggies are trained personal protection/security dogs they used to be deductible................;)

16. Cheer up. My wife was off work the past 1 1/2 years being treated for breast cancer and insisted on taking money out of her 401(k) so we're going to owe Uncle Sam big time! Worst part is we didn't need the money but you know how some people are, they get an idea in their head and there's no talking them out of it.

Plus I'll have the added bonus of getting to listen to her complain for the next six months about owing money on our taxes and not being able to retire because her 401(k) is low.

17. Got a little over 6k back for a refund. Considering I paid in just over 5k, I'm getting 100% of it back, plus child credit and retirement credit for my TSP.
    Of course, all of it is going to pay off my credit card, but hey, at least no more debt. My bonus is next month, which is usually around 2.5k so at least I'm getting something to play with.

But at least they didn't think I'm dead lol.

18. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    Own a house, no kids, married, no obama care, cant meet standard deduction. Recipe to get *ed. Have owed big every year since I did the "right thing" and got married and bought a house. Ready to say * em they ain't gettin' it.

19. histed

histed Supporting Member

In a perfect work, I owe zero, I get zero. Had a guy at work brag about getting a 3000+ refund, as he always had extra taken out. Told him next year to give ME the extra and I'd write him a check for 3 grand in January. He never did figure that one out.
    [​IMG]

20. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Sadie is a Security Blanket!
    [​IMG]
    SO CUTE! (ummm, Sadie that is...:eek:) ;)

:rofl:

...and a leader arises...

:D