Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon,

I was hoping in this thread we could talk about the SNS like world of closed bolt semiauto tec 9's, mac 10's and their derivatives/clones.

Sure, their not zamark wonder gats, but with their reputations they sure seem to fit in this little corner of the gun world.

Anybody got experience in this area? I've been on a research kick on these types of firearms recently and its definitely a fascinating rabbit hole.

So, if you've played around with these guys, what are your thoughts? What secret sauce alchemy have you had to do to get yours running if you had problems?

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
Administrator
24,797 Posts
Dude, seriously. Knock that mess off. Those are steel stamped machine pistols, and not ROF/SNS by any stretch of the imagination. If you can't post threads where they belong, you'll go on moderation which will mean anything you post will need to be approved by staff before it hits the board. This topic belongs in General Firearms, where I'm moving it to. I've also taken the liberty of editing the title to remove the SNS crap.

If you insist on being the square peg in a round hole, you'll just get hammered.

·
Premium Member
3,254 Posts
From what I have seen with the 9 millimeter TEC-9 firearms is they are a range toy. They are unreliable and jam all the time. But that what I have seen of people posting their experiences of these firearms on the Internet.

Reactions: Foolsgold39

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rachgier,

If it's not the right place, go ahead and move it.

I started the thread were I did, because it seemed like a good spot for it, not because I'm trying to start anything.

I posted there because they have a terrible reputation, they were vilified by the media and many of them are really, really janky. One of the company's that made mac clones actually made a legit sns gun as well. In real life I've heard them referred to as sns guns on more then one occasion, hence why I started the thread in the other gun section of the sns sub forum. But if it's the wrong spot, its the wrong spot.

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1024Megabytes,

From what I have seen with the 9 millimeter TEC-9 firearms is they are a range toy. They are unreliable and jam all the time. But that what I have seen of people posting their experiences of these firearms on the Internet.
Yep, I have seen a lot of that online as well. I'm sure a lot of it is true. I'm also guessing some of it is just folks saying what they think. Similar to, "high points are crap", said by people who have never shot the damn things.

I'm really hoping some of the members here will have some first hand experience, good or bad.

Thanks for your input!

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
Administrator
24,797 Posts
Rachgier,

If it's not the right place, go ahead and move it.

I started the thread were I did, because it seemed like a good spot for it, not because I'm trying to start anything.

I posted there because they have a terrible reputation, they were vilified by the media and many of them are really, really janky. One of the company's that made mac clones actually made a legit sns gun as well. In real life I've heard them referred to as sns guns on more then one occasion, hence why I started the thread in the other gun section of the sns sub forum. But if it's the wrong spot, its the wrong spot.

Regards,
Foolsgold39
It was moved when I said it was moved and edited in my first post. You've been warned. I don't care what sort of justification you want to throw out there, follow the proper format or you'll end up moderated. No further reply is necessary.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,004 Posts
My ex-BIL has 3 or 4 Tec-9's as I recall, seems he knows how to make them run!

If we ever get back to shooting again, I plan on running a few mags to see what I am missing. Prolly have to bring my own ammo now that 60c a round is common LOL

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
I owned a TEC9 for many years and never had an issue with it. The MAC10 has been around for some time and I've shot many open bolt MAC's without any issues. Never played with a closed bolt MAC10 though as it had no appeal to me.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Afternoon,

I was hoping in this thread we could talk about the SNS like world of closed bolt semiauto tec 9's, mac 10's and their derivatives/clones.

Sure, their not zamark wonder gats, but with their reputations they sure seem to fit in this little corner of the gun world.

Anybody got experience in this area? I've been on a research kick on these types of firearms recently and its definitely a fascinating rabbit hole.

So, if you've played around with these guys, what are your thoughts? What secret sauce alchemy have you had to do to get yours running if you had problems?

Regards,
Foolsgold39
I don't know much about these guys being bought flat out as a complete firearm but in the 80% community, the guys that know how to put these together put some really good quality Macs. I wish I could find the parts and had the know how to do an 80% Mac. The ones I've seen build them love them. If I run across any photos I'll ask if they mind me sharing them here.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
26,004 Posts
I owned a TEC9 for many years and never had an issue with it. The MAC10 has been around for some time and I've shot many open bolt MAC's without any issues. Never played with a closed bolt MAC10 though as it had no appeal to me.
BIL never mentioned he had problems, btw.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@undeRGRound

That's cool that your BIL is so into them. If he ever tells you any tips or tricks, please let us know.

@FlashBang

That's encouraging to hear. Do you do a lot of preemptive maintenance on your tec 9 (i.e. regular spring replacement, etc?) Or has the thing just run?

Yep, closed bolt is never as interesting as open bolt, lol.

@Newman31B

I'm really into the idea of getting into 80% stuff. Seems like a lot of fun projects. Any resources you recommend checking out?

If you get the go ahead on sharing the photo's, please do!

Regards,
Foolsgold39

·
Premium Member
6,541 Posts
@FlashBang

That's encouraging to hear. Do you do a lot of preemptive maintenance on your tec 9 (i.e. regular spring replacement, etc?) Or has the thing just run?

Yep, closed bolt is never as interesting as open bolt, lol.
Never had to replace anything on it and did nothing to it except normal cleanings. I sold it many many years ago.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts