Technology Dwarfed?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MachoMelvin, May 9, 2015.

1. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I am not a computer GEEK!
    My current employer of the past 15 years has pushed/pulled me into the current century tech wise. But now they are requiring me to download a app on to my personal cell phone that will basically track my every move 24/7, if they choose to do so. It will also require me to post an entry for each of my customer interactions. So, if I record that my customer & I discussed dog food or light bulbs or fish food, my company will send them e-mails promoting these products. Who has time for this type of sales propaganda? I am sure my customer's will get very tired of having their mailbox flooded with this type of e-mail. But most importantly, this is my cell phone. I am not reimbursed for the time or maintenance of this equipment. I have both personal & business contact information, cell numbers & email info, birthdays, anniversaries. Should I simply go along to get along?
    In a meeting this week, I was the only one out of 25 + employees that even raised a red flag at what the company was requiring us to do. Your opinions please?

AM I ALONE IN THINKING THIS IS WRONG?

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. colthrash

colthrash Member

choosing to use your personal phone for business is one thing, being required to do it is another. sounds to me like they need to provide you a company phone...

3. bluharley

bluharley Member

I'd get a second phone for work. I haven't been in the workforce since all this came about, what a PITA.

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Wow..... Invasion of privacy much?..... I could understand this stuff on a employer provided company phone, but on a personal phone?... That's BS....

5. MachoMelvin

Recently, many companies require new employees to submit he user names & passwords any & all of the social networks, ie, Facebook, Twitter, HPFF or any other online pages? Some companies have forced current employees to do the same or be terminated.

6. panoz77

panoz77 Member

A company cannot request your passwords for anything.

You need to tell them to either provide you a company phone or reimburse you in full for your phone.

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Exactly. They can't force you to use your personal cellphone for their ends. They need to issue you a company phone. As it is, their app will cause your phone to consume more data, something that will cause you to incur more personal costs. Explain that to them, and your employer will more than likely issue you one. If they want to be stubborn, you could get another phone and claim it as a business expense as long as you use it only for business.

8. MachoMelvin

Only 6 states prohibit employers from asking!

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Tell them to provided you with a smart phone if they want to track you.

10. MachoMelvin

I worked my;
    1st job for 18 yrs
    2nd job for 3 yrs
    3rd job for 7 yrs
    this job for 15 yrs
    Maybe it's time to move on? I can do early retirement in 4 1/2 years if SS is still around.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    This. It will be deductible as a business expense.
    You should throw your weight around as "Employee of the Year" and lead a movement for all the employees to refuse. Maybe it is time to move on, but for SURE it is time to take a Stand! I am a trained Union Steward, and as such, I can assure you that there is not much they can really force you to do. Employees have so many more rights than what they think, you would be surprised at the number of avenues of recourse you actually have, and most of these are not union related!

12. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Asking and requiring/demanding are two different things. And if someone is stupid enough to give anyone passwords, then they deserve what they get. That last sentence would be awesome, I would love to be in that situation, with the settlement of the lawsuit, I'd never have to work again.

13. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Time to go looking for another job. These invasions of our 1st A rights are getting way beyond ridiculous. The other 25 morons you spoke of may as well be zombies. I'd pass on it.

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    Panoz Knows!!!
    Mel, I have also been involved in an EEOC case, I pretty well know the ins and outs. If you have even the weakest case, you can receive a settlement. Plus, the employer will be on notice that you know your rights.

15. rickm

rickm Member

My employer tried to tell me what kind of phone to buy since i use it for company issues, but i let them know that if they wanted me to have a pacific kind of phone then they should buy it and if not then they wasnt going to tell me what to do with my personal property even thou they pay me a stipine (how ever you spell it not having a good day today) for me to use my phone. We im still using the same phone i have had for 10 years and it does the job it was intended for to make calls and receive calls.

16. Back2School

Back2School Member

Macho, IMHO, I would say it time to move on. I know you only have a short time left, but why do something you dont want to do for that long? As long as you can afford it try something fun.

Something I was told when younger and I believe it now, change roles every 5-7 years. Everyt ime I havent, I got bored, frustrated and angry. I was supposed to be let go a few weeks ago and was actually looking forward to it, it never happened :(

17. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

Finding a decent job at your age in this economy would be something of a miracle. Stand firm. Let the company know they can pay for a business phone.

18. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

step 1: Buy one of those prepaid cell phones and just use it for your job.
    step 2: Set up a dummy account for all the social media sites and give the info for those accounts to your boss.
    step 3: ???
    step 4: Profit

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    Passive/Aggressive, I LOVE IT, BSCAR!!!

Melvin, you have a lot of leverage. Figure out how to use it,
    I believe you can win or at least get an acceptable compromise...

20. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

If you didn't sign anything about the phone and passwords you don't owe them anything.

While it can be viewed as a tool like us tradesman have to own to be hired, you still can't be forced into buying it.

As for the passwords and such, while only 6 states might have a law against employers asking for that info, there are federal privacy protection laws that go for employers as well.