Tell me about reloading slugs...

Discussion in 'Reloading Room' started by Branth, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Branth

Branth Member

So, out of curiosity... How hard is it to reload shotgun slugs, and how accurate can they get?

Do they make rifled slug molds so you can cast your own?

Assuming I'm already set up for metallic cartridges, how much money would I have to drop to be able to load shotgun slugs?

2. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

This guy's got a pretty good idea:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kvSvHmdLCk[/ame]

Innovative:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_BUDBbdA6A[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlJRtTuQSjI[/ame]

3. Type all of your questions into Google and they will be answered. Except the cost one that's all up to you. There are 30 dollars hand reload kits. From lanes reloading. And there are several hundred dollars set ups

4. Lyman and Lee both make molds for slugs I have used the Lee the last few years with good results. I also use the Lyman Foster style slug but these I paper patch to get accuracy. Reloading slugs can be very rewarding.

5. Branth

Branth Member

What kind of accuracy could you expect?

6. It's been 10 years since I've shot them, but the accuracy of the ones I did using Lee molds was as good as an factory rounds I've shot. I would not hesitate to use reloads for deer hunting(etc) if for some reason I couldn't hunt with a rifle.

One advantage is a person can easily afford to practice with the reloads.

Qualifier: I've only ever done testing with factory and reload slugs. Less than 25 factory ones and 150-200 Lee reloads.

FWIW. Over @ cast boolits a lot of guys are switching back to pumpkin shot. They claim it works as well as slugs.

7. Branth

Branth Member

So at 100 yards... Are we talking 3 MOA? 6 MOA? 10MOA?

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Depends on the shooter, gun, and specific load.;)

Remember, the slug itself is almost 1 MOA wide.:p

9. Branth

Branth Member

I measure center-to-center by subtracting the diameter of the bullet.

I'm just trying to get an idea of the capabilities of a home defense style pump-action 12 at longer ranges. I don't have any shotguns yet. I'm tempted to pick one up so I can add that horse to my stable, so to speak, but I want to know the limitations of the platform before I do. Since I don't plan on being wealthy enough to buy lots of $1/shot commercial rifled slugs, I'm basing my information on handloads.

I could always practice with handloads and have commercial stuff stashed for SHTF, but I'd much prefer to be able to practice with what I plan on shooting.

Home defense stuff would all be commercial buckshot loads, of course.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well...yeah, that's how you do it.
    My point was, any hits with a slug are basically good.:p

Basically, decent guns will hit the boiler room on deer at 100 yards, no problem. If you go to sabot type stuff, it can run out to 300 yards. Traditionally, 75 yards was about the limit with basic slugs, but things got better as some eastern states required shotgun hunting.

What that means in MOA, I don't know.
    Oh, and break action guns are cheap. I paid $95 for an NEF single 12.

11. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

I don't know about re-loading slugs... but they sure don't like it when you pour a bunch of salt on them!

[​IMG]

12. About a pie plate @ 50 and maybe a sheet of paper @ 100. Very little testing @ 100. Mostly 50 & 75 yards and I decided a reload would take a deer, coyote, etc as likely as a factory load.

This testing was done with standard shotguns. Some doubles, old pump, H&R singles, NEF singles etc. Where I hunt rifles are used so I didn't test with shotguns that designed as slug guns. Guys that use the special slug guns tell me they make a world of difference, but I have no current reason to get one.

13. I use birdshot for home defense. Birdshot will hang together for about 20 feet, in the house that is probably enough. And it makes hamburger out of the target. There is a video on using birdshot I will see if I can find it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3RVvL9ZjU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3RVvL9ZjU[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  14. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I like that guy!

Good stuff. Maybe bird shot has gotten a bad rap.

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

That's secretly how I pictured Ajole on my mind.
    And yes, I was surprised at the effect of birdshot.
    Not enough to switch I'll stick to 00 but impressive none the less.