Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
]I have a serious question about defending myself and maybe my family.

I have been an S&W revolver man for over 55 years; never owned a pistol. Been carrying a S&W 5 shot 38 airweight for many years now; I want more than 5 shots now. I ordered a Fobus Paddle Holster for my S&W 586 4" bbl 357 Mag. Great holster but my 357 shows too much. So I bought a Hi Point Model C 9mm and the Fobus Roto Paddle Holster; along with the shoulder holster. I now have 4 very good positions that I can carry my 9mm and it is concealed pretty darn good.
Now the question:
If I keep the clip loaded and the chamber empty I am afraid that I will be too slow when I have to react, by the time I draw and put one in the chamber; plus the noise; I could well be in serious doo doo! However, I am not real comfortable keeping one in the chamber with the safety on and a full mag; it just doesnt seem safe. Seems like I read somewhere doing that is called "CONDITION 1" or something like that. What is the general opinion of my doing that?

I am not a newbie with firearms; been shooting all my long life, and carrying over 40 years; plus I taught Hunter Safety classes for 11 years or so. I am a newbie with pistols though; not sure if I like them yet; I may say the hell with it and go back to my revolvers even though they dont seem to conceal as well.

Now the reason for the above question. About 5 years ago I turned in some big mean ugly b**ch living across the street from me for selling drugs to school kids on bicycles and older kids in cars. She got 17 years for it and is now back on the street 4 years after going in; and living across the street from me again. How did she get out in only 4 years I have no idea; that SUCKS! As I said she is one BIG MEAN UGLY WOMAN! And the crap is already starting; she knows it was me because I testified against her. So I have a problem coming fairly soon. It will be sudden; violent; and probably nighttime. I am not worried about my ability to hit what I need to hit; even under stress; I am worried about carrying one in the chamber. At least with the S&W I have a bar of steel under the hammer so to speak to help prevent gremlins firing the gun. Thus my concern about carrying one in the chamber.
So I am asking for some opinions here from those of you that know what you are talking about. This could be some serious stuff here guys, so let me hear from you. The airweight is back on my ancle; if my arthritis will let me go for it. lol Gotta laugh at myself on that one

Oh and as far as the local police go; great bunch of guys and I know all 6 of them. They can't be with me all the time; most of the time; or probably not anytime; not until it's over. Such is life in small town Arizona.
Take care all;
Ken[/b]

·
You know who I am
9,277 Posts
Condition 1 is generally referred to in weapons with external hammers where the hammer is back but the safety is on. I guess that could apply to striker driven weapons as well, but normally I only hear it applied to hammered pistols.

Anyway, if I carried my C9 I'd carry it with a full mag and one in the tube. I carry my Glock 17, 1911, PA-63, Kel-Tec P3AT, and Ruger P345 with a full mag and one in the tube and don't think a second thing about it. Even though you can practice well enough to rack the slide and put one in the tube quickly, I figure the less possible points of failure I have in my draw and fire sequence the better. If you aren't comfortable carrying the C9 with one in the tube because it is a "cheaper" weapon, maybe you would feel safer with a PA-63? HPs safeties seem to be made well though, and personally I would feel just fine carrying one with a round in the tube.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
she is one BIG MEAN UGLY WOMAN

How big, mean & ugly is she if she could take 5 -.38's? Obviously there is some doubt in your mind or you would not have decided on more firepower.

violent; and probably nighttime

So then it's not like you are carrying it around town all day with you to have a mishap. I agree with Mason. If you are that familiar with guns and observe proper protocol, why not carry one in the pipe. I sure would.

You also mentined that YOU do not feel comfortable carrying one in the chamber and a full mag........ THAT is the main factor here. How do you feel, not what we think.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been carrying a Kel-tec with one in the chamber since I've had my CC over 2 yrs, and also have a C9 and JHP 45 all with one in the chamber and ready to fire, have not heard of any one having one go off with out pulling the trigger, scarey though. The thought never crosses my mind while I'm carrying, they are all ready to draw, point, and shoot. Jim <><

·
You know who I am
9,277 Posts
My G17 and KT P3AT don't have safeties lol. I carry them without fear though because the Glock is just a Glock and they rape face, and the Kel Tec has such a beastly trigger pull I'm pretty sure I'd break the trigger off doing something rather than it actually fire accidentally. I wouldn't carry my 1911, P345, or any of my weapons that do have safeties with the safety off, however.

·
Banned
10,225 Posts
I wouldn't carry a C9 with the safety off, personally. They have a fair bit of pull but I don't have quite enough faith in the action to say that it wouldn't accidentally go off if I dropped it or sat down and something pushed the trigger a bit.
the fobus holster has a trigger guard retention right? that might concern me if i had that holster

·
Registered
132 Posts
i have been carrying my c9 for 1.5 months and i would have no fears about carrying it with the safety off, infact just the other day i noticed that i was carrying my c9 with the safety off. however i do carry it with the safety on and thats how im going to keep carrying it, after all thats what the safety is for.

also about a week ago i was drop testing my c9 cocked safety off and no round in the chamber and even when i kind of threw it on the ground it would not release the firing pin, in my opinion these are very safe guns that i would carry even if they had no safety.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Well, I keep my HP.380 10rds in mag and one in chamber with safety on. My HP.45 9rds in mag with one in chamber with safety on. My 995 10rds in mag and one in chamber with safety on. Never had any problems here. :no:

·
Banned
4,082 Posts
OK i'll chime in I have carried my C9 on and off duty for around 5 years locked and loaded [full mag 1 in the chamber] either in Uncle Mikes holster or the Fobus never had a problem you are just as safe with a round in the chamber then you are with out one!!!
Now if and a big IF you are not confident with it do not carry it L&L carry the 38 and feel safer.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
I would carry my C9 or JHP45 with one in the pipe, without hesitation... but only with the safety on.

In a real "situation" with adrenaline, haste, and possible unnatural stance/positioning; you don't want to inadvertently touch the trigger while drawing and have an AD. I would rather have one in the pipe than try to rack one in, in a dicey situation.

That said, the safeties on HPs can snag on clothing, and get set in the fire position more easily than some handguns. I've had it happen in more than one "rapid draw" test while in an awkward position (not standing facing the target). But, I've never heard the "click" of an AD (cocked and unloaded) in these dry runs.

Those are just my thoughts; as usual: YMMV.

Charlie

·
Banned
10,225 Posts
I would carry my C9 or JHP45 with one in the pipe, without hesitation... but only with the safety on.

In a real "situation" with adrenaline, haste, and possible unnatural stance/positioning; you don't want to inadvertently touch the trigger while drawing and have an AD. I would rather have one in the pipe than try to rack one in, in a dicey situation.

That said, the safeties on HPs can snag on clothing, and get set in the fire position more easily than some handguns. I've had it happen in more than one "rapid draw" test while in an awkward position (not standing facing the target). But, I've never heard the "click" of an AD (cocked and unloaded) in these dry runs.

Those are just my thoughts; as usual: YMMV.

Charlie
cool man, thanks for chiming in

·
Banned
10,225 Posts
OK i'll chime in I have carried my C9 on and off duty for around 5 years locked and loaded [full mag 1 in the chamber] either in Uncle Mikes holster or the Fobus never had a problem you are just as safe with a round in the chamber then you are with out one!!!
Now if and a big IF you are not confident with it do not carry it L&L carry the 38 and feel safer.
i think i wanna get me a wheel gun after i get the C9. i like the reliability factor of a revolver.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
The reliability of wheelguns as opposed to pistols has been hotly contested. Most wheelguns can be broken beyond repair by dropping them. Not so with most pistols.

Of course, you're not supposed to drop any weapon.

(notice I said MOST)

·
Banned
4,082 Posts
The reliability of wheelguns as opposed to pistols has been hotly contested. Most wheelguns can be broken beyond repair by dropping them. Not so with most pistols.

Of course, you're not supposed to drop any weapon.

(notice I said MOST)
I've carried a revolver since I was 18 and out hunting I love revolovers and if I could afford it I'd have many more. I love the C9 but a revolver is something else. Give me a six shooter any day and I'm happy!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.