Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,709 Posts
In TEOTWAWKI, I’m probably not rambling around scrounging ammo, so while I agree with Greg that .40 ammo won’t be as easy to find as it may have been 5 years ago, I have plenty at my house, so I’m OK with the 40. Or the 10 mm, for that matter. Or the 9 mm.

TEOTWAWKI…..I’m packing more than 1 handgun, and I’m probably caring a rifle everywhere too. It’s not normal now…but anyone that’s been in the military knows it’s not “that” hard to have it at hand 24/7.

So, my handguns…the G20. Go big or go home, on a chest rig. Then the .357 Taurus 605 for good measure, on a hip. That could be a G22 or Ruger SR40, depending on how I feel that day. Then the Sig P365 in an appendix holster, and something…PF9 or TCP….in an ankle holster. Spare mags for the first two on the belt.
And no, I’m not worried about weight. I’m not humping anywhere, I’m at home. I got no where to go, and my food and stuff is all here.

·
Premium Member
36,709 Posts
I have a decent stockpile of 9mm Mak, so I'm thinking my CZ-82. It shoots well, I have enough ammo to use it as a back up to my primary long arm, and it hits hard enough to damage most two legged predators.
I have a CZ-82. I LOVE that gun. If it were made in polymer, I would love it even more....it is a bit hefty for the 12 rounds it carries. As is the CZ-75D compact with the 15 rounds. But holy moley, do they feel good in the hand.

IMHO, if CZ made the CZ82 in polymer, and then set it up to take their duty size mags too....they'd sell more than a few of them.
And no, to those pointing at the polymer CZ's....they are NOT the same size or feel as the 82.

·
Premium Member
36,709 Posts
We have quite a bit of land and it's deep woods, drastic elevation changes. But we could survive and hide out on our own land for a long time, so we do have plans for buried caches in the works.
Just remember....some buried caches take time and effort to "unbury" and access.

Some of the "survivalists" out there seem to think they will be in evasion mode, running through the woods to escape the Feds, and then pop up out of the brush carrying their cached stuff and fully armed with their binary trigger and illegal suppressor 2 minutes later to surprise and decimate their enemy. I guess if you bury a pipe vertically and only have to take an inch of dirt off the top and unscrew the lid, that could work.

Think of it as a place to store things that anyone searching your house, like a robber, would not find, so you can access it later at your liesure; and you'll be fine.

A local guy went to jail for growing and distributing weed that he grew in a cave he dug. Access was through a trap door in the floor of a shed. The cop I knew that found it followed the power lines to the shed, then had to move a few old rusty bikes and a lawnmower (no lawn on the place) to access the door in the floor. Yes, he had a warrant. Just pointing out another way to make a "cache". Not many will look too close under an old abandoned outhouse or a lopsided "pump house" covering a few rusty machines.
Funny thing, on my lot, the remote read water meter is in a 12-14" wide, 4 foot deep hole with a plastic utility cover, all covered with brush. Perfect size to stash a PVC pipe full of a few things, and unless something breaks, no one is going to bother opening it.

·
Premium Member
36,709 Posts
This MIGHT fit here,

PREPPING WITH GUNS, HONING OUR SYSTEMS FOR COMPATIBILITY & REDUNDANCY

SOMETIMES MAYBE, just maybe, too much variety is not the best thing?
Variety is never a bad thing. Unless you lack decisiveness, and can’t decide which one matches your outfit the best.

My guns aren’t just for me. They’re for my family. Lots of different people and different sizes and different ability levels. Lots of variety does a few things. It makes sure at least one will be useful for each person. It means repairing a gun is a waste of time. Just grab another one, and fix the dead one at a later point in time. It means I have large higher capacity weapons, and smaller conceal type weapons, and even smaller BUGs. And it means almost ANY ammo will be useful to us.

Finally, contrary to popular scenario building….any “one gun to do everything” is a compromise. No, the G19 isn’t the answer to life, the universe, and everything. No, 10 mm isn’t either. And a .22 most surely is not.

But any of those can be an answer to different specific parts of life after the SHTF.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts