Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,779 Posts
Interesting conversation over coffee this morning. If TEOTWAWKI (The End Of The World As We Know It) did happen, what handgun that you now own would you want to have with you? I dearly like my 1911’s and that is what was expected of me . But the 45acp is just not as common as it once was and I just want more than 7 rounds on board. My cartridge of choice is the 9mm. Not my favorite, but it is the most popular handgun cartridge in the world and it affords adequate capacity.

The GLOCK is an obvious choice. Almost everybody has one. (Just not me) And if it is asked of me what pistol should I buy if I am only going to have one pistol, my answer is always GLOCK, either the 19 or the 17. But I am just not real fond of the GLOCK pistols.

So what is my choice for a TEOTWAWKI pistol? Criteria is 9mm Luger, adequate capacity, and dependable.

My 3rd choice would be the Bersa Thunder 9. This sidearm is issued to the Argentine military and federal police. Mine is the Ultra Compact Pro model, which means the magazines only hold 13 rounds as compared to the 17 rounds that the duty size model holds. This is amongst the first 9mm pistols I purchased (IIRC, it was my 2nd, the first being the Taurus 709 Slim) and does not make the EDC cut simply because it is pretty thick and chunky. But it has proven itself dependable.
View attachment 75774
The Ruger P95 DC Would be my second choice (actually my first choice, but only because my example of my real 1st choice is chambered for 40 S&W) To my knowledge this is Ruger’s only handgun that has ever been issued to the US Army. In 2004 Ruger was awarded a contract for 5000 P95’s destined for the US Army Tank - Automotive and Armaments Command. My version is the P95DC and was shipped with 2 10 round magazines due to the Clinton era Federal Assault Weapons Ban, but standard capacity is 15 rounds.
View attachment 75775

My first choice is the Beretta PX4. I don’t know of any military that has adopted this sidearm, but it is NATO approved and more than a few police departments have issued this pistol. Mine is a police trade in. Unfortunately though it’s chambered in 40 S&W, so it doesn't meet my requirements for a TEOTWAWKI handgun. Still it is an excellent handgun with an excellent reputation for reliability. It is said to be capable of 150,000 rounds without breakage. My 40 S&W has a magazine capacity of 14 rounds, but the 9mm version has a standard magazine capacity of 17 rounds. I guess I sort of cheated by including the PX4 in my top 3 since I do not currently own the 9mm version, but unlike the Bersa and Ruger, the Beretta is still in production!
View attachment 75776
40 S&W may be a bit more available in TEOTWAWKI than you're thinking, Greg. Remember all the rounds that .GOV bought for DHS? Got a good bud in NV who has been an NRA certified pistol instructor since way back, he was hired to train a class of DHS agents/ossifers w/e they call them. Kong story short, he got a few boxes of that ammo as a "tip" and it's top drawer 40 Feed! 180gr bonded hollow points, iirc it was sealed like NATO rounds, sealed bullets and primers.

MY TEOTWAWKI LINEUP...
Definitely Glunk oriented, I'd have to say I'd be carrying the G43x if it was a sudden occurrence, that amd my GHB gets me (hopefully) back to the 'compound' where I'd likely gear up to the serious stuff.

One likely 'daily driver' combo would be...
1. G43x as a b.u.g.
2. G34 sidearm
3. G.AR9 pistol 10.5" barrel, (G for glunk mags) or:
4. AR9 (Colt pattern) 16" barrel, but then magazines don't match. But I'd rather carry 5.56 if I'm going full size like that anyway, so...
5. M4 type AR15

Sorry I violated the pistol aspect of this thread, but I'm a systems type of guy. 1 thru 3 is all pistol. Later, I will posit a "fantasy lineup" where it would be more like your TEOTWAWKI Favorites as listed above. This right here is my PRACTICAL TEOTWAWKI LIST.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,779 Posts
As much as I like my Browning Hi-Power, my TEOTWAWKI pistol would be my Springfield Armory XD Elite 9mm. My rifle would be my Norinco MAK 90 and my shotgun would be my Mossberg 500. In the event of a nuclear war I won't have to worry about weapons since I live less than one mile from the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency which I'm sure is a high priority target for our enemies. In a nuclear war I would be a pile of dust and my weapons melted metal. I was not happy when the NGA moved into my neighborhood.
LMFAO

I lived DOWNSTAIRS from a prime contractor for NGA quite some time ago. It really fed into the OL's paranoia when our phone would ring and these guys would take off from the kitchen every time. She thought they had tapped our landline, but then again our ringer was identical to theirs, and maybe they thought it was their phone on the second story? My solution was to get rid of the landline and simply use cell phones, 100%. Haven't had my own landline for nearly 2 decades (y)

Reactions: Rerun

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,779 Posts
Ya'll know that anybody in law enforcement tapping into a landline still requires a Warrant whereas cellphones are free game.

Rerun
It reduced my aggravation is all I know, win-win scenario. I actually talked her into believing we were likely SAFER living next to them! (y)

Reactions: Rerun

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,779 Posts
This MIGHT fit here,

PREPPING WITH GUNS, HONING OUR SYSTEMS FOR COMPATIBILITY & REDUNDANCY

I believe most of us at HPFF are pretty well set, so this thought exercise may be mostly academic. But creating good content to attract new members is always great for the site.

When I started out here @hpff, all I recall owning was a very short list, 2 C9 handguns, maybe a 995 (or did I get that after joining?) and my original AR15. Only had a handful of magazines for that first AR, and not really stacking the ammo yet. So my adventure had just begun!

One is none, Two is One, and Three is a Good Start...

There's my take on the old prepper motto.

I'm doubtful to find any glaring gaps in my firearms preps but certainly it will help to review. I might even "thin the herd" a bit but I'm not looking to do much. Call it consolidation. Like. @greg_r tries to do with calibers, about twice a year :ROFLMAO:

I suppose I could trade for more handgun compliance but Glunks are so boring, and I already have too many 9mm glunks but it makes sense to get back to at least 3 handguns which use the same magazine style, like the G17, G19, G34, and so many PCC in that universe. My AR9 pistol is also compatible... so that is one area I could improve.

Your input appreciated greatly, I'm pretty sure we don't have much time before the next shoe drops. It could be as small as another hit to the supply of guns, accessories and ammo, (very likely, imo) or a major event like SHTF and the resulting fallout from it. (less likely, imo)

To sum it up, I believe I could benefit from more redundancy, and possibly fewer platforms.
SOMETIMES MAYBE, just maybe, too much variety is not the best thing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts