Texas Buddies Take Monster 460 Pound Hog with a Knife

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 1024Megabytes, Aug 4, 2020.

1. by MAX SLOWIK on AUGUST 3, 2020

Two friends, Colton Roberts, 20, and Nathan Wright, 17, were hunting hogs for a local farmer in Proctor, Texas, when the pair landed a major catch: a 460-pound boar, and maybe new careers.

The two were hunting with dogs and were able to catch and kill three wild pigs that day. All three were taken using knives.

“He called us saying, ‘Hey, we got a bunch of hogs that’s tearing up our land. We got a bunch of money,'” Wright told ABC. “We pulled up about 6:30 that morning, turned the dogs loose and started hunting.”

The pair used dogs to corner the largest boar. Roberts jumped the monster pig and grabbed its legs while Wright got the boar with his knife.

Feral hogs cause tremendous amounts of damage to Texas and many other neighboring states. They eat crops and break fences and harm buildings which leads to lost animals and other issues.

Read more at: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/...as-buddies-monster-460-pound-feral-hog-knife/

lklawson likes this.
  2. I wonder if this story is true. If it is true I think they are crazy. I'd want no less than a .308 Winchester long gun taking a wild pig of that size.

histed likes this.

3. histed

histed Supporting Member

AMEN, Brudda!! I do know, however, that wild hogs are hunted with knives and/or spears in some areas. Had a students coupla years back went to Georgia and killed a nice boar with a spear. Not this fat old man - maybe a muzzleloader from a tree stand, but I'd prefer an M60 on the ground

moona11 and 1024Megabytes like this.
  4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I think @greg_r uses a knife to kill the hogs his dogs corner. I don't have space to keep dogs, so I just use a .44 Magnum and try to wait for them in a likely spot.

Into the Fray and 1024Megabytes like this.
  5. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Yep, greg_r uses a knife at times for hogs. Seems quite a few of the hunters with dogs do it that way.

1024Megabytes and greg_r like this.
  6. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Yep, we stick em. Once the dogs have them down by the head, you can pick their back feet up off the ground. You can trundle them around like a wheelbarrow then. While the dogs and your partner have the pig under control, you can slip the blade behind the ribs into the heart.

that said, we just shoot the ones we think are big enough to give the catch dogs trouble. Don’t want my dogs getting hurt. And I have never seen a 460 pound feral pig. Most are under 200 pounds. Only seen a few larger than that. Pigs just don’t normally get that big by rooting grubs and such. Not like they do eating sweet feed.

Just to be clear, the kill is anti-climatic. The dogs have the pig under control before the humans step in.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    1024Megabytes and histed like this.
  7. histed

histed Supporting Member

I'm wondering if it was a domestic that got loose. We raised hogs when I was at home and (long story) had a couple big bores get loose one fall. My little brother ended up shooting both of them during deer season. They were much bigger than 200#, but they had been farm raised

greg_r likes this.
  8. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I only hunted hogs a few times. Rex brought a Tekna dive knife. He forgot it in the truck. I gave him a POS Pakistani lock blade that wouldn't hold an edge. 3" blade. Piggy dressed out at about 90lbs.

Think1st likes this.
  9. greg_r

This^^^^^is what I was thinking when I heard the story.

What else I thought was....I’m fat, old, and have a gimpy leg. It ain’t hard.

histed likes this.
  10. greg_r

@TNTRAILERTRASH I hate to admit it, but I have used an Old Hickory Sticker, the bayonet off my FR8, my Oak Level Custom, and the GLOCK field knife. The GLOCK knife is the best (don’t tell anyone I said that!

Think1st and OldOutlaw like this.
  11. TNTRAILERTRASH

It's a knife you can get away with it. I'm guessing it isn't one of the knives with the root saw on it?

12. greg_r

Yes, it has the root saw. Thought it would cause problems, but it slides out (and in) easily.

TNTRAILERTRASH likes this.
  13. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That narrow profile is the key. I saw a product a guy was making that allowed you to mount a Mosin Nagant bayonet onto a knife-like handle. Now, THAT would certainly slide in easily.

14. I killed a deer with a beer bottle. :)

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Lemme guess, you drank it then hit it with your car.

TNTRAILERTRASH and Into the Fray like this.
  16. No, hit the deer with the bottle thrown out of the truck window about 4 am.
    Hit her in the head and knocked her down and stunned her. I jumped out and shot her with a pistol, threw her in the back of the truck and hauled ass.
    This was back when I was young and did stupid shit.

17. greg_r

So you really killed the deer with a pistol. ;)

A buddy of mine caught a doe once. Sort of. Was able to grab a doe that was by the road as they were driving by, was able to go out the window and catch it. The doe effed him up pretty bad. Cut him up with its hooves.

SWAGA likes this.
  18. TNTRAILERTRASH

15+ years ago a woman hit a doe in broad daylight in Bellview on the West side of Nashville. Came in through the windshield and kicked the woman to death.

19. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    A family member of mine, killed a deer with a baseball bat. He was still in high school and was following one of the Female teachers down the road right after school let out. She hit the deer with her car and broke its rear legs. He ended up using the bat to put the deer out of its misery. Then took it home a dressed it out.

20. TNTRAILERTRASH

Leaving work the other night there was a big doe in the yard. She was right next to the street. 8yds from me. I could have taken her out with a LCPII. I just said "hello momma" how are you this evening." There was 2 others 200ft back. They have little fear as they are in the city limits of Murfreesboro. I saw a tiny greyish looking coyote over near there at dusk too.