Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
121 - 140 of 168 Posts

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
My "buss bar" is 3/4 copper water pipe with stainless bolts for connection from the battery. Each battery string negative and positive uses a 100 amp fuse to the buss bar in case of a shorted battery.
Tubing is great, it can handle more amps than the same amount of copper in wire!
The hollow tubing can dissipate heat from the inside as well...

·
Premium Member
8,635 Posts
Copious use of no-alox of course so no corrosion from battery fumes. I literally wiped a layer over every bolt once connected.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
Copious use of no-alox of course so no corrosion from battery fumes. I literally wiped a layer over every bolt once connected.
IMO Copper Shield is better on, umm, Copper ;)
But I have both products, either way. Petroleum Jelly
is also a good one, but nothing in there to enhance
conductivity. Not sure about No-Al-Ox but Copper Shield
has copper particles in the goo to aid in the conductivity
of the connections it is applied to :D

·
Premium Member
8,635 Posts
Depends on the water! De-ionized is basically non conductive at the start, as it absorbs ions form the air it starts to conduct...

Salt water is more conductive but nowhere close to copper...

Maybe some super salt saturated water but you are still not going to reach the conductivity of plain old copper!

Reactions: Rerun

·
Premium Member
8,635 Posts
I had the no-alox on hand LOL with multiple aluminum antennas I use a lot of it doing maintenance. If you don't use it between boom sections they basically weld together with aluminum oxide which isn't conductive. Screws up the antenna pattern...

IMO Copper Shield is better on, umm, Copper ;)
But I have both products, either way. Petroleum Jelly
is also a good one, but nothing in there to enhance
conductivity. Not sure about No-Al-Ox but Copper Shield
has copper particles in the goo to aid in the conductivity
of the connections it is applied to :D

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Get a Porta pot.
Porta Potty it is.

The cost for renting the water buffalo was prohibitively expensive.

Did ya'll know Texas controls rainwater?
Slap me with cooked cabbage!

And, propane has nearly doubled in price since i last bought it four years ago!

eldar

·
Super Moderator
25,930 Posts
Colorado just relinquished it's "right" to rain water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whelp, I has done it this time.

While working for my new company I met a fellow who had him a small lot located in the unincorporated area of the county that was too small for him to do anything with - only an eighth of an acre.

We talked for a couple of weeks, and I talked with my credit union and I managed to get a loan for the piece that met everyone's expectations.

So, here I am contemplating what kind of home I want to put on it... It's going to be small - the lot is partially cleared and not much bigger than 50 x 100 feet.

I am partial to the Roman style homes that have four walls and an inner courtyard with fountain...

Maybe buy four used containers: two thirty footers and two twenty footers.

I dunno. Gotta think more about this...

Wish me luck.

eldar
A double wide should fill the bill

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,094 Posts
Update:

Collecting SSI put on hold until I reach my 63rd birthday and 8 months. My benefits will increase from minimum to a little more than $1200/month. The absolute minimum I need to pay for everything is just under $760/month.

Fortunately, the rate for keeping one's total SSI income versus outside income was increased to a little more than $1700/month. I could earn up to that amount working part time without jeopardizing my SSI income.
Thanks, President Trump!

Learned some things about winterizing the trailer - like putting a skirt around the base of the trailer - coroplast is the secret - waterproof, strong, fairly lightweight. Attached to stakes with screws - easy in, easy out.
And, screw in anchors - six of them, across wide board sections across the roof. I could have used Hi-Points, I suppose but, I only had a couple.

Since last October, I removed the queen sized bed, built a new full sized platform with six drawers, all on one side and a new cedar lined hanging locker.
I refloored the kitchen and main hallway, the bathroom floor and repaired some cabinets. I replaced all the cabinet doors with clear panels. It's nice to see what's behind door #3. Some painting, a couple of minor repairs and it's like living in a home.
I took MaryB's suggestion about getting a trailer to take my dark and grey water to the dump site - way easier - Thanks, MaryB!

I'm trying to decide what kind of fruit tree(s) to plant...

And, I'm working on a raised bed for some vegetables. Maybe four crops. I don't have much room.

That's it so far. Thanks for all ya'll's support - truthfully, it would have been much harder without ya'll!

eldar

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
why wait on the SSI? usually doesn't pay to wait on regular SS to collect unless still working and making too much.
Mmmmmmm...
Because there is a difference of $400/month between the two time periods.
Sure, I would collect 16000 in the waiting time period but, if I became infirm for some reason, the base SSI payment would barely cover my monthly expenses. And, when prices/taxes go up, what then?

eldar

·
Administrator
29,183 Posts
Since last October, I removed the queen sized bed, built a new full sized platform with six drawers, all on one side and a new cedar lined hanging locker.
I refloored the kitchen and main hallway, the bathroom floor and repaired some cabinets. I replaced all the cabinet doors with clear panels. It's nice to see what's behind door #3. Some painting, a couple of minor repairs and it's like living in a home.
Pics or it didn't happen. ;)

I'm trying to decide what kind of fruit tree(s) to plant...
I have a Mulberry tree in my back yard. They are pretty easy to sprout from fruit and my tree reliably produces every year. I'm honestly too lazy to fight the birds for all of the fruit but I get a few handfulls during fruiting when I mow the lawn and last season I get enough to to make two pies without even trying. I screwed up and put too much sugar in them though.

How do mulberrys grow there? I can dry out and send some berries to you next time it fruits if you want.

And, I'm working on a raised bed for some vegetables. Maybe four crops. I don't have much room.
Plan it out with your trees in mind. Some crops need more sun and fruit trees might shade too much depending on placement. I'm not much of a victory gardener. None at all, actually, but I shut up and listen when my friends who are speak about it. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
When are you not limited on your income 66? And more SSI I haven't checked into it. Heck, if you can work 'til then? Or find a cash job. Handy man work for cash?

·
Premium Member
Everything
3,210 Posts
Eldar, I'm not as familiar with Texas climate, but if you ever need advice on fruit trees, garden, landscape, whatever, I'd be happy to help. That's what I do for a living.:)

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Mmmmmmm...
Because there is a difference of $400/month between the two time periods.
Sure, I would collect 16000 in the waiting time period but, if I became infirm for some reason, the base SSI payment would barely cover my monthly expenses. And, when prices/taxes go up, what then?

eldar
They must calculate SSI different from SS. With SS waiting from 62 to full retirement age 65+ the break even point for the money you loose while waiting is like age 78!! In most cases it doesn't pay to wait to start collecting. My difference in SS at 62 and full retirement is a lot less than $400 a month. Everyone I crunched the numbers on for SS came out the same age !

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
They must calculate SSI different from SS. With SS waiting from 62 to full retirement age 65+ the break even point for the money you loose while waiting is like age 78!! In most cases it doesn't pay to wait to start collecting. My difference in SS at 62 and full retirement is a lot less than $400 a month. Everyone I crunched the numbers on for SS came out the same age !
Near as I can tell Your term for SS and mine, SSI, mean the same thing. That said, if I deferred taking SS until 66 years and 4 months, my base SS income would almost double from $799 to $1560.
All I am doing is allowing my base rate to increase until I can collect $1200/month.

eldar

121 - 140 of 168 Posts