Texas Open Carry Bill Passed

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by FlashBang, Apr 17, 2015.

1. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

HB910 was passed by the Texas House today. This Bill allows the open carry of a firearm by a licensed CHL holder. The only amendment that was attached to it was for the reduction from a Class A misdemeanor (1 year in jail and $10000.00 fine plus loss of CHL) to a Class C misdemeanor (up to a $500 fine and no loss of CHL - basically a ticket). The Bill now goes back to the Senate for final passage, which it is certain to do. Once signed by the Governor, who has said he is ready and willing to sign it, it will become law and take affect January 1st of 2016.

It was not Constitutional Carry, but it is a good step in the right direction.

;)

2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

To be honest I have no issue with it as there are a bunch of idiots out there. And yes this will motivate me to get my CHL.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    I'm confused? Are they legalizing it or decriminalizing it?

4. FlashBang

The law is being changed to allow a CHL holder to open carry instead of having to keep it concealed. Permit holders from States that Texas has reciprocity with will also be allowed to open carry as well when they are in Texas.

It's not Constitutional Carry, but once people see that blood does not run in the streets... it will pave the way to it.

5. cicpup

Vermont
    Then what is this all about?

6. FlashBang

The Bill makes it legal to open carry if you have a CHL... the current penalty for carrying into a prohibited place is the Class A, it is reduced to a Class C... I did not make that clear and I apologize. :eek:

7. cicpup

Vermont
    Yea, that part would have helped a lot.

I thought Texas was full of freedom loving cowboys? Your silly restrictions surprise me.

8. Branth

Branth Member

Yeah, an Open Carry Texas advocate asked the legislature to "Bravely go where 49 other states have already been."

Texas has surprisingly restrictive handgun laws for a place with a "pew-pew, yeehaw" kind of reputation.

9. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    One nice thing about the open carry legalization is that if the weapon accidentally gets revealed when a covering garment lifts up, while moving to get something from a bottom shelf, the carrier can't get in trouble for displaying it.

It's good legal cover for people who might fall victim to those ant-gunners who just love to call the police on concealed carriers whose pistols they see by accident.

10. While this is a step in the right direction, it is nowhere near what many states have had since they became states - Constitutional open carry. That '49 other states' isn't very accurate.

Texas does have very restrictive gun laws, but that is largely due to the aftermath of the Civil War and having a relatively low rate of per capita gun ownership. Texas ranks 30th in per capita gun ownership.

Texas, like every state, just needs needs to keep chipping away at fully restoring the 2nd.

11. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

And then you have california, where if anyone in the world calls and says, he seems to be off, I feel threatened, I am worried he can hurt himself.............just because they are mad at me

A SWAT team can show up, confiscate my weapons, and I have to prove I am fine, and there is no requirement when I can get them back

Texas laws sound damn good to me

12. Branth

Branth Member

What other state had no provision for open carry?

13. Cal for one. There are a few more.

14. Branth

Branth Member

Oh, yeah, I forgot they changed that a while back. Used to be that unloaded open carry was kosher.

15. A few other state still ban it, but the important thing is that we continue to restore the full 2nd. Be it at little at a time or one grand slam.

16. Branth

Branth Member