Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I just joined and want to thank all on forum. And, those who have posted instructions.
I have been lurking on the forum for awhile ever since I heard about a Hi point pistol that cost around 150 from a buddy of mine.
Of course I was skeptical at first like all leery buyers should be .But after reading most of the post,I thought for the price, I'll give it a go.
Well, I am ALL IN NOW.I have the JCP which was my first one.I got a C9 Last month,and another C9( is on the way ( I had to prepay to be sure I get one of the 20 the gun dealer ordered).He can't keep them on the shelf (Which adds to the phenom of the HP's) .Anything selling that fast has to be interesting.
I have wanted a pistol for some time.I've had some years ago but had to sell them to pay bills.
I also saw the price of new automatics,they where out of my price range.
When a buddy of mine told me that I could get an automatic for around 150 I was interested.
Another friend of ours bought one first C9 and I went with him to the range to checked it out.I liked it.
Except for the grips.But I have pachmyers slip-ons on all mine and it makes it a whole nother gun.A joy to shoot.
My buddy had a few nose up jams on one of his 2 mags.But after reading you'alls post we have fixed that problem.(it was the front lips on that mag.)
I had a few nose up jams with my .45 But it was the same fix.Front lips. When I got my first 9mm I took it down before I ever shot it (my friend thought I was crazy) and polished the feed ramp(barrel off) and adjusted the feed lips on my only mag.. We went to the range a blew through 100 Blazer brass and WWB like no problem.
I went back home and did the same to the .45 (results to be posted soon when I get the other mag and check/adjust it too).
I did the same to Buddy's 9mm (the first one that jammed ) and the mag that was jamming had its front lips way too far apart ( I measure with a micrometer). I will do the same for the 2nd C9 coming soon.
To adjust the 9mm mags I'm going by the drawing of the mags I've seen floating around here.The specs seem to work.I also experimented with the feeding by my own feel and they seem to match.
When I did the .45, I did not seen any specs posted on these mags. I experimented with it myself and found a setting that seems to work well.Also using the relative data from the 9mm mags,It seems to follow suit.The front lips need to be pretty close to the spacing of the rear lips and take off the sharp edge on the inside of the front lips.
If anyone has any specs to compare the lip spacing on the .45 mags, I'd like to compare notes.
I noticed the basic operation of the front lips of the mag and the feed ramp relationship as shells are cycled.
The shell gets slightly pulled down by the front lips then the nose of the bullet hits the ramp and the shell should start lifting through the front lips and into the chamber. Understanding the principle makes the fix a lot easier to understand.
Well , as you can tell the engineer in me is coming out.But that's the way I've always been .Its my job.
I like odd ball mechanical devices and these hi points fit me perfect. I'm a cheap @$$ by nature too.
I also use Harbor Freight tools.Their inexpensive and work well.
So the HP'S are a double plus cause they are not made in china.
Sorry about the ramble ,but I had a lot to say about my 3 HP gun love.

Rich

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hi, my name is Broomhead and I am a Hi-Point addict.
Everyone said:
Hello Broomhead.
Welcome to our support group.
There are five steps in our program.
Step 1: Buy ammo and send it down range.
Step 2: Buy more Hi-Points.
Step 3: Laugh at all the Gun Snobs for paying way too much, then out shoot them at the range.
Step 4: Happily spread your addiction to others whenever possible.
Step 5:Repeat steps 1 through 4 endlessly.
Unfortunately, these are not steps to recovery.
There is no recovery.
:devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile::devilsidesmile:

Go Here and read. A compilation of my own compiling. A list of common malfunctions, their causes, and fixes.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
:welcome: HP-Cobra,

Glad to see ya here and enjoying the hipoints, I currently own 2 C-9's and the JHP 45 they are a blast I really like the 45 allot of bang for the buck :D
Well as you have allready noticed there is a lot to see, do and learn around here :thinking:
But Remember...

Hipoint, the addiction for which there is no cure :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Jet

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Rich,

Welcome to the forum. Glad you quit lurking and decided to join. There is alot to learn from the nice folks here. From your post it seems you'll fit right in. With the engineer coming out in you already you 1st post is very helpfull. You could be the first to post the specs on your 45JHP mag modifications to help the rest of us.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok,
Already in the works. I just got a 9 and a 45 spare mag from HP and I wanted to get a base reading off of some new ones.
I was going to try and make a spread sheet ,but that might be too complicated and might not show up right on forum. I also thought about pictures ,They would be nice too.

I Wanted to actually test out the .45 at the range to be sure it works correctly,but I might just post the numbers.my 9 worked perfectly at the range.I think the .45 will work fine. to me Its all relative to the way Hi Points work.
Of course I am not a gun smith so take everything I say lightly but I believe its correct.

Rich

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome! :welcome:

Hi-Point's are addictive. I'm going to pick up my C9 on Wednesday. My next gun was going to be a very accurate .22lr, like a Ruger or Browning. But talking to my dealer, I could get a .40 and a .45, or a .45 and a 995 for the cost of the .22! Yikes! Makes it hard to not buy the HPs!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know what you mean. That"s what I thought. Hmmm.3 pistols for the price of one.one for the house ...one for the shop...one for the car....
I might even consider the .45 rifle when it comes out.
As long as you know the quirks and how to deal with them your fine. Some might not ever have any trouble with theirs.I just like to be proactive.
I would think HP's should cost more.Its a real good value.Too bad there isn't more stuff like this made in USA.

Rich

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Rich,

I think with my JHP and C9 I'm going to fight the addiction. BUT the moment someone here tells me the 45 carbine is available I'll be making a trip to my FFL that very day.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All is well .HP love still.
I got to check out the .45 yesterday.See .45 Mag measurements post for results.
I finally got 2nd C9 .and even was able to get 3 spare Mags.
Almost done with ramp polish and have check and adjusted all 3 mags.
Funny situation at gun store when I picked up C9. The guy had just got his 20 gun order of HP's and while he was checking me out,he was getting constant calls for prepaying customers of HP's ,and there was almost a line forming behind me of people picking up theirs.Amazing. 8)
Can't wait to check out 2nd C9 . I have acquired quite a bit of 9mm ammo( Different brands) .Hope to try some of all on all 3 mags at next session.

Rich

1 - 12 of 12 Posts