Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I bought this press back in 1980, it was 2nd hand then. No idea how many rounds have been loaded on it. But yesterday the fatigue set in. I was powder charging 45lc rounds . Heard a wierd crack sound then the next down stroke she fell apart

· Administrator
28,329 Posts
Superglue and duck tape 'll fix you right up!

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

• Haha
Reactions: Rerun and shaner

· Registered
73 Posts
I have the same press which would be from around 1980. Got it with the rest of my Dad's reloading equipment around 20 years ago when he passed his stuff on to me.

These days it's really only used for the collet bullet puller or Ram Prime, but it still works.

Of course now I'm wondering what warranty Lee had on the things 40 years ago? Everything new is 2 years, but I would be tempted to give them a call to see if there was ever a lifetime one for the things :)

Wood Interior design Floor Flooring Hardwood

· Premium Member
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to Lee, I can send the parts in on my dime. Probably 15 -20 bucks. Then they will send me a new press for half price. Which is 35 bucks + shipping. She told me the lifetime warranty went bye bye several years back. Well MidwayUSA has them for 47.88 free shipping. So she and I agreed I'd be ahead to just buy it from a retailer. Not really to disappointed if I buy a new one and it lasts as long as this one. Somebody else will be using it. Cause I'd be over 100 yrs old lol!

· Registered
73 Posts
Talked to Lee, I can send the parts in on my dime. Probably 15 -20 bucks. Then they will send me a new press for half price. Which is 35 bucks + shipping. She told me the lifetime warranty went bye bye several years back. Well MidwayUSA has them for 47.88 free shipping. So she and I agreed I'd be ahead to just buy it from a retailer. Not really to disappointed if I buy a new one and it lasts as long as this one. Somebody else will be using it. Cause I'd be over 100 yrs old lol!
Was kind of hoping Lee would have looked and realized that the thing is from over 40 years ago, was sold with lifetime warranty (,something I honestly don't know if it was or not), and they would honor the warranty and send you a replacement, or possibly an upgrade out of principle for your loyalty :)

I had a pair of 1st Gen 1GiB iPod Nanos that I bought when they first came out. Apple had a recall on the things a few years later and was replacing them, but I didn't find out about it until 2018, several years after the final 7th Gen ones came out. After I finally got around to filling out and submitting the online recall form they still had up, Apple sent me a pair of the latest generation 16 GiB versions as replacements :)

· Premium Member
37,165 Posts
Well...that just sucks.

I got a free handle for that same press about a year ago...or was it two years ago....?
Well....maybe it did go bye recently...but I got my handle for free.
After it broke, all I use that press for is depriming,

Realistically....without that warranty, I'm not sure most Lee products make much sense.
Here's their policy as of today:

"Lee reloading products are unconditionally guaranteed not to wear out or break from normal use for two full years or they will be repaired or replaced at no charge if returned to the factory along with a copy of the receipt.

Our Lifetime Conditional Guarantee states that any Lee product of current manufacture, regardless of age or condition, will be reconditioned to new, including a new guarantee, if returned to the factory with payment equal to half the current retail price plus any applicable taxes and Shipping.

If we no longer manufacture a product, we would offer you the direct replacement of the product at half the current retail price plus any applicable taxes and Shipping.

Another option is to send the product of any age back to the factory for repair. Labor and repair parts are free.

If we are not able to repair an item, we will offer you a new one at half the current retail price plus any applicable taxes and Shipping, as per our Lifetime Guarantee.

Meanwhile....RCBS has this:

"Your reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original owner owns it. This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser. ......Should you believe that your reloading press, die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is defective in material or workmanship, you must return the reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould to Ammunition Accessories Inc. through its Oroville operation (hereinafter "Oroville Operations") postage paid for evaluation. If defective, the product will be repaired or replaced at Oroville Operations' option, at no charge.

Send a dated proof of purchase to Oroville Operations
along with the product information and reason for return to..."

Reactions: shaner

· Administrator
28,329 Posts
Send a dated proof of purchase to Oroville Operations along with the product information and reason for return to..."
Besides Clark Howard, who keeps their receipts for these sort of items for the rest of their lives? I used to try but it didn't work. I had countless receipts for things which I could never match up to the original product; everything from a blender to a carbon monoxide detector. I used to put the original receipt for a new gun in the box and then store the box. I dug out one of those boxes and looked at the receipt to find that it had faded into a receipt-shaped blank piece of paper; literally blank. ...great... :rolleyes:

So, frankly, while that RCBS warranty sounds good, I don't believe for a second that most people would be able to use it if they ever need to.

Basically, if the "Lifetime Warranty" is no good without a proof of purchase, then it's no good at all.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

· AK = Automatic Killer!?!
3,544 Posts
Besides Clark Howard, who keeps their receipts for these sort of items for the rest of their lives? I used to try but it didn't work. I had countless receipts for things which I could never match up to the original product; everything from a blender to a carbon monoxide detector. I used to put the original receipt for a new gun in the box and then store the box. I dug out one of those boxes and looked at the receipt to find that it had faded into a receipt-shaped blank piece of paper; literally blank. ...great... :rolleyes:

So, frankly, while that RCBS warranty sounds good, I don't believe for a second that most people would be able to use it if they ever need to.

Basically, if the "Lifetime Warranty" is no good without a proof of purchase, then it's no good at all.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I agree but now a days Kirk I PDF the receipt and add the link in my firearm spreadsheet along with a link to a pic that I stored on a removable drive.

I set all that up for when I pass on so my wife gets to see what I "actually" spent and curse me till the day she dies!! Or until she sells what is marked non-heirloom in the spreadsheet - it's like my fun retirement plan... I get the fun, she gets the cash when I pass lol.

· Registered
504 Posts
I've got one of these presses too. It's at least 30 years old. Also a Challenger that I've had since 1987. Great presses for the money. Hope you can get it all straightened out.

Reactions: shaner

· Registered
84 Posts
Well...that just sucks.

I got a free handle for that same press about a year ago...or was it two years ago....?
Well....maybe it did go bye recently...but I got my handle for free.
After it broke, all I use that press for is depriming,

Realistically....without that warranty, I'm not sure most Lee products make much sense.
Here's their policy as of today:

"Lee reloading products are unconditionally guaranteed not to wear out or break from normal use for two full years or they will be repaired or replaced at no charge if returned to the factory along with a copy of the receipt.

Our Lifetime Conditional Guarantee states that any Lee product of current manufacture, regardless of age or condition, will be reconditioned to new, including a new guarantee, if returned to the factory with payment equal to half the current retail price plus any applicable taxes and Shipping.

If we no longer manufacture a product, we would offer you the direct replacement of the product at half the current retail price plus any applicable taxes and Shipping.

Another option is to send the product of any age back to the factory for repair. Labor and repair parts are free.

If we are not able to repair an item, we will offer you a new one at half the current retail price plus any applicable taxes and Shipping, as per our Lifetime Guarantee.

Meanwhile....RCBS has this:

"Your reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is warranted to be free from defects in material or workmanship for as long as the original owner owns it. This warranty is extended only to the original consumer purchaser. ......Should you believe that your reloading press, die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould is defective in material or workmanship, you must return the reloading press, reloading die, manual case trimmer or bullet mould to Ammunition Accessories Inc. through its Oroville operation (hereinafter "Oroville Operations") postage paid for evaluation. If defective, the product will be repaired or replaced at Oroville Operations' option, at no charge.

Send a dated proof of purchase to Oroville Operations
along with the product information and reason for return to..."
Not quite true on RCBS. I had my decapping pin for my resizing die break recently and I called them and they sent me a new assembly, pin and expander plug.

· Premium Member
37,165 Posts
Not quite true on RCBS. I had my decapping pin for my resizing die break recently and I called them and they sent me a new assembly, pin and expander plug.
Yep, I’ve only ever heard good things about them.👍

· Super Moderator
10,550 Posts
I will say that in my opinion, RCBS is a step above Lee. RCBS will send parts for the asking if they still have them. Lee used to. The last time I contacted Lee about a press I bought used off of a inter web auction site, they required that I send the press to them. It came back like new, no charge. (I bought the press cheap, only after I got it did I find the Ram was installed backwards. The hex head inside the bolt was stripped also)

RCBS would never charge me even after I told them that I was not the original owner and purchased the press with the intent of rebuilding it. That it was their policy, period. They were nice about it too. With Lee I had to eat shipping, but ended up with a brand new press. Turnaround was about a week.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts