The 2A & Space to Destroy

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Think1st, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    If anyone wants to add another piece of evidence to the argument in favor of granting more freedom to have firearms for self defense, we need look no further than Baltimore's mayor:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...reddie-gray-protesters-who-wished-to-destroy/

It seems that she believed that the rioters needed some space to destroy if they chose to do so in order for them to be safe as they exercised their First Amendment rights. As a result, the Baltimore police were directed to stand by and allow mayhem to ensue, unchecked. Once again, we have had a city government stand by and allow the dregs of society to loot, riot, burn, and batter because they didn't want to offend the anarchic scum. As long as it is other people's property and lives at risk, they have no compunctions about sacrificing something of someone else's all in the name of appeasing criminals.

And they dare to declare that we should remain unarmed and just rely upon their security. Obviously, the government is not a reliable source of security, and We The People must provide it for ourselves when the chips are down. Ultimately, opponents of the Second Amendment have no leg to stand on. The proof is in the pudding. City and state governments will fail us, and we must exercise our Constitutional rights if we are to avoid death or financial ruin when chaos ensues.

It's a terrible shame that we have reached such a point in our history where we are vilified for wanting to have the means to protect what is precious to us when the very institutions implemented to do so refuse to carry out their sworn duties. May the NRA and every other pro-2A organization shout this from the highest buildings.

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

This disagrees with eye-witness reporters who claim that they watched rioters and looters going in and out of their homes.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. Think1st

Florida
    It also disagrees with the figures showing that most of those arrested were from Baltimore. I don't have access to Fox, so I am stuck with CNN International, and the reporter called out city officials who tried to make that claim when I watched it live, this morning before work.

4. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

doesnt matter............you do not allow people to act like this, all it does is encourage that they now have a right to it

5. Think1st

Florida
    That's the problem. It is now encouraged. Under those circumstances, the 2nd Amendment is more important than ever.

6. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Historically the best way to handle rioting and looters is volley fire and bayonets.

7. http://www.reddit.com/r/creepy/comments/343ucj/machete_man_guarding_baltimore_liquor_store_xpost/

Saw this on reddit.

And the quote from the guy

One man, Brian Woodyard Jr., 32, a bouncer at the Old Clubhouse Beer and Wine store, stood outside the shop with a machete in hand as rioters tried to break in.

“It’s the only thing I have. I can’t pull out a shotgun,” he told the Washington Post. “I was able to clear about 50 people away. I came with my mask on my face, ready to do what I have to do to protect my livelihood.”

I think he agrees.

8. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

OK, I listened to the whole press conference, which included repeated calls by family, local community leaders, and clergy for non-violence as well as repeated claims that "95%" or "99%" of the "protesters" are "peaceful." I listened to the question and Mayor Rawlings-Blake's response and this is what I get from it.

First, she's totally out of her depth. She has NO CLUE what to do about this situation. She doesn't want riots and looting which will give her a black eye and damage her town's tourist industry, which is pretty much Baltimore's biggest source of income (the reporter asked if the protesters were expected to go into the tourist areas). But she also doesn't want to say anything which will offend the rioters and damage her re-electability among them. She's stuck between a rock and a hard place where she believes that she can't specifically condemn without also giving a pass; which is why she's blaming the rioting on "outsiders."

Second, after listening to the question and her response, I don't believe that she was intentionally giving permission for rioters "to destroy." She knew ahead of time that, because of her politics and the demographics of her voters, that she couldn't take too hard-line of a stance against "protests". It's clear from her comment that she gave an order for the police to give the "protestors" lots of latitude and space, on the foolish hope that not having a strong police presence would minimize the chances of rioting (ha! fat chance!). However, it appears that she knew that rioting was, frankly, pretty darn likely and that her comment of "space to destroy" was an utterly failed verbal attempt to soft pedal a policy of containment.

What I believe you should take from her comments are this, if I may be granted the latitude to paraphrase and read between the lines:
    "I've instructed the police to not confront protestors. I hoped that this would mean there would not be rioting. However, I expected that there was a fairly high chance of rioting, as we all have grown to expect given the last several incidents around the nation. Therefore, I am also working on trying to figure out a way to minimize and contain the rioting once it begins. Hopefully, someone will come up with a way to do this. However, I cannot be too blunt about how I say these things. I must protect my votes and be circumspect about how I relate these issues to you. I hope that my political opposition doesn't take this out of context because I'm hedging and double-speaking so fast my hair just caught on fire from the air friction."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

9. planosteve

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    "a fairly high chance of rioting, as we all have grown to expect given the last several incidents around the nation."

Well, there's yer problem...:cool:

I know a PERFECTLY good "space to destroy".

Where is her house?;)

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Close. But I think he's way more out of touch (and way more out of his depth) than even she is.

Same basic issues of messaging, however.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. Back2School

Back2School Member

Isn't the 2nd amendment the perfect solution to this? I know when I get upset and want to destroy things, nothing is as fun as shooting a watermelon or tin can. Destroying paper is fun, but actually seeing something get hit is kinda cool.

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Like I said in another thread.... These meatsacks have been wise enough to stay out of the suburbs so far.... One day, they won't. And there's going to be a massacre..... That'll be the push to take our guns away, so that we don't trample these precious angel's civil rights.

14. I think I read that Obama does wear a skirt when not on official business.
    And, we all know Michelle is a man...?! :D

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Bah. He might not be the first POTUS to do so. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

All I know is I have an inside source in the Baltimore PD. One of my former firefighters is down there as a rookie in his first year on the force. He says it is an absolute sh*t show and they are being ordered to hold the line and protect certain areas of the city without the use of force unless they are physically attacked in close quarters.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So pretty much as I guessed, "Don't confront the 'protestors'" and "contain the rioting once it's begun." awesome. <sigh>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. planosteve

Can you say AC-130. That will stop the riot.

19. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Best ever kill streak reward in Modern Warfare!...... The Gaming heads here will agree.

20. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

Will be interesting to see the results next election.

To be so wishy-washy on the "protests" just goes to show how far removed from reality some of these politicians are. "We need to contain these riots/protests, but we don't want to use force and be seen as racists for hurting black people. Also, don't defend yourself, that is bad, mmmkay. Self defense is racist, mmkay"

How many anti-gunners there are now wishing the guys with guns will come to help them?