The 5 Most Dangerous Guns in America

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Jul 17, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

*WARNING* If you haven't read this yet or at least heard about it, you may experience some twitching and confusion after doing so.

From the brilliant minds at the RollingStone

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/pictures/the-5-most-dangerous-guns-in-america-20140714

Deadly Weapons

Contrary to what those who defend the right to own high-powered assault rifles believe, not all guns are created equal. Due to a combination of availability, portability and criminal usage the following five types of guns are the country's most dangerous.

1- Pistols

Popular among handgun-owners, pistols are defined by their built-in barrel and short stock. They are the most commonly recovered firearm type reported by the ATF. With more than 119,000 pistols found at crime scenes in 2012, this handgun model holds an unfortunately solid first place in criminal weaponry.

One of the most popular pistols is the Glock, a short-recoil operated, semi-automatic pistol produced by Glock Ges.m.b.H. in Deutsch-Wagram, Austria. Glocks comprise 65 percent of the market share of handguns for United States law enforcement agencies and are also frequently used by international law-enforcement.

2- Revolvers

Revolvers, named for their rotating chambered cylinder, placed second in the ATF's ranking of guns found at crime scenes more than 46,000 recovered in 2012, the most recent year for which statistics were kept.

Some grenade launchers, shotguns, and rifles also have rotating barrels, but the term "revolver" is generally used to describe handguns. Revolver types include single and double-action firing mechanisms, the latter of which does not require a cocking action separate from the trigger pull.

3 -Rifles

Law enforcement agencies pulled more than 39,000 from crime scenes in 2012, firmly establishing this weapon — designed to be fired from the shoulder — in third place on the ATF's trace list. Pulling the trigger of a rifle fires one projectile at the intended target, as opposed to the shotgun's ability to spray. According to FBI latest publicly available homicide records, in 2012 rifles were used to murder more than 320 people.

Rifles were created to improve the accuracy of smoothbore muskets, for which the musket ball was often an bad fit due to manufacturing complications. Accurate and easy-to-aim, rifles are now the most common hunting weapon.

4- Shotguns

Like rifles, shotguns are fired from the shoulder and may release a single projectile. Unlike rifles, however, one pull of a shotgun's trigger may also spray the target with round pellets, or shot. Additionally, the explosive that creates the energy to fire the gun occurs in the fixed shell of a shotgun rather than the metallic cartridge of a rifle.

Per the FBI, shotguns were used in 303 murders in 2012. With 27,000 shotgun recoveries reported to the ATF in 2012, they are the fourth most common type of firearm confiscated at crime scenes.

6- Derringers

Derringers, small pocket or palm-sized pistols with one or two barrels, have no strict legal definition, but are included in the ATF's trace form as a category of firearm. With just more than 2,000 recoveries in 2012 — a small number compared to the other firearm types listed above, largely because it is a subset of the highly-popular pistol — derringers are the fifth most-cited firearm in crime scene recoveries.

While high-capacity-magazine assault weapons have bee linked to large numnber of mass shootings over the past 30 years, varying definitions of "assault" rifles make comprehensive information difficult to access. We do know, however, that assault weapons — loosely categorized as semi-automatic, rapid-fire weapons designed for combat use — are used in a small minority of homicides and other gun crimes.

2. Yeah, I read that last night. the best were the comments on how terrible this piece is

things like
    "I'm going to list the 5 most deadly rocks.
    1: big rocks
    2:medium rocks
    3:small rocks
    4: hard rocks
    5:rocks."

and my favorite comment
    "the most dangerous bears
    1: Big bears
    2: Small bears
    3: bears with fur."

3. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Can I just say "WTF"

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

This warning was TOTALLY INSUFFICIENT.

Not only do I now hoave a mygrain butt I thikn I atctually lost a flew IQ points by readnig it. :p

;)

It would have saved them time and words by writing:
    The 5 Most Dangerous Guns in America
    1) Guns
    2) Guns
    3) Guns
    4) Guns
    5) Guns

...and it would have been more technically accurate as well.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. ...... what????????????

.... I mean.. uh.... what??

My brain hurts... Where did they get these definitions? It's like a 5 year old whose only firearms experience is from call of duty wrote this...

what??

My favorite asinine statement was this: "loosely categorized as semi-automatic, rapid-fire weapons designed for combat use"

6. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm stuck between, "pistols are defined by their built-in barrel and short stock" and "Revolvers, named for their rotating chambered cylinder" but I lean more to the former as my favorite head-scratcher from this "article."
    :p
    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. the comments are worth looking at the link. there is some seriously funny stuff there.

My top five list of most dangerous Hi Points.

1. 995TS
    2. .40 JHP
    3. 9C
    4. 4095
    5. Derringer

8. you mean, they aren't sperate from guns with barrels that are sold as accessories, and not built in?
    Or because you didn't realize your pistol grip, was actually a stock. maybe pistols have flash suppressors (shoulder thing that goes up?)

9. Now that's journalism. NOT!!!

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Who knew pelosi wrote for rolling stone?

11. Rerun

Rerun Member

I am sorry to disagree with You kirk but, there are NO dangerous guns.

Only dangerous humans interacting with guns.

eldar

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    And here I thought this was going to be a list of guns most likely to blow up.:rolleyes:

13. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

The most dangerous guns to me are the ones that are on my wish list and on sale.

14. I don't think it's fair to profile guns like that. Treat them with respect and dignity and they're far less likely to blow up on you. Except maybe the liberal left-wing commie nut job guns. They blow up for no reason at all.

15. I thought it was going to be a quick and easy "short list" we could sticky for every newb asking "what gun should i buy next?"

I was sorely disapointed

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I admit that I was also befuddled by the inclusion (by name) of Glock in the pistol "section" and how they're the #1 choice of cops. Because that makes pistols in general more dangerous.

...the headache is back...

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. bws

bws Member

One of my favorite quotes from her article was "Pistols are popular with hand gun owners...". At first I was like this is just another piece of mindless, hippy, anti2a, liberal, group hug, therapy seeking crap that the RS is famous for. But I read it again and I swear to god I couldn't stop laughing. Once I gained a little composure I started reading the comments. Hell, even anti-2a supporters were calling her a joke. Note: since I don't know if they were really gun control nuts, it's up to the eye of the beholder... Last time I looked at it there were like 4600 comments and growing.

I still contend that whatever school of journalism she graduated from (assuming she did) will be wanting her to sign a non-disclosure agreement, for fear of losing new students. If I were one of her prof's I'd be embarrassed to admit she was one of my students.

Yet again, I have little hope for any school of journalism anymore, simply because they have lost all integrity and impartiality.

18. Bamaboy

Bamaboy Member

Rolling stone, wow they sure love to drink the PC foolaid including the rootbeer anti gun flavor.

Guns aren't dangerous, I blame the bullets!

So Mr. Owl what's the most dangeours drugs to take, cities to live in or which Political Party keeps raising taxes restricting freedoms and decides what I can have for my school lunch ?

Question are any of the buses filled with illegal invaders stopping at Taco Bell?

19. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

And the #1 gun responsible for every shooting injury or death goes to:

1. Loaded

We have a winner.. you heard it here first folks! :D

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah

You are jumping way too far forward and looking at the entirety of the situation.

I think if we apply some basic six sigma, TQM methodology here, we will find that the #1 gun responsible for many shooting injuries or deaths are the :

1. unloaded guns

See, the belief that the gun was unloaded, while not true, was true, and therefore the professional will automatically assume things the normal person wouldn't, creating a dichotomy of beliefs, and causing the gun to spontaneously load itself and fire, simply to prove it's very existence.
    Of course, being loaded in this case is the same as unloaded, so we can ignore that fact.