The Action Safety Bullet

Discussion in 'Caliber Zone' started by lklawson, Sep 3, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've never heard of it before, but now that I have, I (somewhat irrationally) really want some!

From The American Rifleman archives:

The Action Safety Bullet
    by Wiley Clapp - Wednesday, January 27, 2010

In the late 70s and early 80s, the ammunition industry was going crazy trying to match strides with the arms industry in the development of semi-automatic pistols. While gunmakers of the time were building the best revolvers in history, it was clear the service handgun of the future would be the semi-automatic pistol.

At the time, there were new guns, new styles of guns and new calibers galore. There was also a perceived need for ammo that would do things never before asked of the humble pistol bullet. An excellent example of this trend was the mysterious GAS bullet (sometimes known as the BAT bullet) made by GECO of Germany and Austria.

The GAS bullet was designed with several interesting parameters. Intended for the troopers of Germany's CSG-9, the GAS slug was originally intended for use in 9 mm pistols and submachine guns, meaning it had to feed with total reliability. For that, an FMJ or ball profile was in order.

Since these elite troops were often involved in pursuits of terrorists on Germany's high-speed highways, they wanted a bullet that would instantly deflate a tire. They decided on an all-copper bullet with a huge hollow point that led down to a hole that ran clear through to the base of the bullet. It was essentially tubular, but the front cavity was filled with a plastic plug shaped a bit like an opened umbrella.

The rounded contour insured good feeding and the bullet came out of the gun's muzzle with the “umbrella” in place. Pressure popped it loose and it fell away harmlessly, leaving a light (86 grain) bullet with a huge, razor-edged hollow point cavity whizzing along at 1400 fps.

When it hit a tire, it cut a perfect 9 mm hole taking a plug of rubber with it. The tire went flat in an instant. Although the GAS bullet was never intended for antipersonnel use, it was pretty good at that, cutting bleeding holes and absolutely splintering bone in the process. The GAS bullet is an interesting footnote in ammunition history.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Attached Files:

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

From The American Rifleman again, just a bit later:

The Action Safety Bullet Revisited
    by Wiley Clapp - Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A couple of years ago, I mentioned the Action Safety Bullet, and several readers responded with their observations. Since then, I have been made aware that limited quantities of this ammo have been imported in the last five to eight years. If you came in late, a brief explanation of the bullet is in order.

Marketed in Europe as the Geco Action Safety (GAS) bullet, this product came in 9 mm Parabellum. It was developed in Germany at the behest of the officers of CSG9, Germany’s elite border police. At the time of its introduction, these men were at war with dangerous terrorists, who frequently fled from the law on the high-speed autobahn. In pursuit, the CSG9 officers wanted a bullet that would instantly deflate a tire. The Action Safety bullet filled the bill.

The bullet was solid copper and weighed about 84 grains. It had a conventional FMJ shape, except for a deep hollow-point nose cavity that lead back to a short tunnel running clear through to the base of the bullet, which was filled with a plastic plug that was shaped like a tiny umbrella with a handle that filled the bullet cavity all the way to the base. It functioned perfectly in the gun’s firing cycle—feeding, chambering, extracting and ejecting. When fired, gas pressure drove the bullet out of the barrel, but pressure also drove the “umbrella” plug away from the bullet, which dropped away. On contact with a tire, the GAS bullet did not deform, but rather cut a perfect 9 mm plug of rubber and the tire went flat. While it was never intended to do anything more, the GAS also proved to be a formidable anti-personnel slug, particularly when it hit bone.

An enthusiastic entrepreneur named Phil Engeldrum sold considerable quantities of the stuff in the mid-80s, fighting his way through the veritable bureaucrats who disapproved of his activities. He chose to market the Geco product as the Blitz Action Trauma (Get it? BAT). There was some police interest in the stuff, but I believe that most of it went to civilian shooters. I have just discovered that it came in a couple of variations. Also, it was made in another caliber—.357 Mag. I know because I have found a box of it. Ominously, it has a plain white box with rudimentary labeling. If any reader can fill me in on the background and intended use of this one, I would like to hear from you.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I believe they didn't work reliably in full auto guns because of the plastic plug in the tip.

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The Germans designed them specifically for that. I bet they fed fine.;)

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They claim it did.

But that has nothing to do with my irrationally elevated desire to have and use this ammunition. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

7. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

There was a different 'BAT-M' bullet that was being designed for use in Aircraft that would cause harm to terrorist but not puncture the skin of the plane causing rapid decompression...

I didn't hear anything about it after the couple of articles in Guns and Ammo Magazine during the 1980's.

eldar

8. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Correct... that is the ammunition that was designed to be used by Federal Air Marshal's. Unless something has changed, they are still using it.

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    [​IMG]
    One box of this stuff was selling on ArmsList for $200 :eek:

10. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Kirk doesn't care!

They're cheap buy 10! :eek: