The AR for Home Defense: One Expert's Opinion

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, May 27, 2015.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

The AR for Home Defense: One Expert's Opinion
    by American Rifleman Staff - Tuesday, May 26, 2015

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2015/5/26/the-ar-for-home-defense-one-experts-opinion/

Part I
    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Part II
    Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I particularly enjoyed his commentary on the issue of 5.56 over penetration which is summarized as, basically, "Everything worth shooting a bad guy with is going to over penetrate. Learn to hit what your shooting at!" :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I liked it..... Wonder how much these guys laugh at the so called "experts", when it comes to doling out tactical advice?

5. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Good Stuff!
    I'm especially glad he dispelled the myth that one needs to "under-load" the 30 round mags :p

7. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I liked the article, Kirk. It is good to see the myths about .223/5.56 overpenetration vs. that of pistol rounds' penetration dispelled. The AR really is a good rifle for a multitude of tasks, something that many just won't acknowledge. I'm sure that many feel vindicated in their own assessments after having read this piece.

By the way, one of the reasons that a pistol is good to pair with a carbine is that frequently, the carbine is propped in a corner when it is needed, but the pistol is likelier to be on a person, thereby allowing a chance to fight one's way back to the carbine.

8. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Excellent article. Many (not all) of the arguments for the AR-15 for use of home defense may also apply the a pistol caliber carbine which has even less noise and slightly less recoil.

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I agree.

I'm not sure about noise and recoil. At a certain point a bang is a bang and is just as injurious to the ears. Outdoors, I can tolerate a 9mm much easier than a .357 Mag. I'm not sure about indoors. At that point it may just all equate to (more) permanent hearing loss (adding on to what I already have).

As for recoil, I know it sounds weird, but my 5.56 AR feels like it has less felt recoil than my 9mm Kel Tec Sub2000. The subby is a simple blowback and that bolt seems to hammer around. It's a lot less than a 30.06, for instance, but it does seem a bit less in the AR. I'm not certain that I would notice the difference in a high stress situation, however. :)

That said, the PCC's are cheaper to own and cheaper to feed, therefore are cheaper to become proficient with and employ. Don't have the "reach out and touch you" range of a "real" rifle caliber, but in a home environment who cares?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. 45Man

45Man Member

I would choose this:
    [​IMG]

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Well, don't waste a single minute more. Go get it!

12. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

This needs to be considered for sticky status. Very good article. Thanks Kirk.

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    Well, I just bought some of the cheapest AR and 9mm ammo, and it is VERY CLOSE :eek:

No reason to not use an AR for HD/SD applications, based on ammo costs.
    Bulk Steel case FTW!!! :dance:

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Steel cased range fodder might be close in price. But nether the quoted author, nor myself, would use range fodder FMJ for home defense applications. I have a mag of 5.56 loaded with expanding point hunting ammo. My Sub2000 is stoked with JHP. Premium expanding point 9mm self defense ammo is about 60% or less the cost of high end hunting ammo in .223.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  15. undeRGRound

INDY
    There are steel cased hunting rounds available, Soft Point, Hollow Point, etc.
    Now we are talking WAY less than SD ammo in 9mm or the "Big Boy" calibers.
    DYODD, but all I am saying is "there are other choices" for the budget AR rounds ;)
    Just trying to jog the imagination! Keeping this dying discussion going! :rofl: JK!

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If only we could find a topic that people cared about.

Boobs or something, maybe.

:rofl:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

17. undeRGRound

INDY
    DON'T get me started!!! :D

18. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Once I get my AR set up how I want it, and out of NY. I planned on having the AR on my side of the bed and the 4095 on her side of the bed. Obviously there will be the pistol of choice within reach as well, but personally I am much more comfortable with a carbine/rifle in hand when clearing structures. It's been a long time since I've practiced it with any purpose, but I plan on doing it if and when we move. Have to learn the new house's layout and drill it constantly until you can walk around in the pitch dark without barking your shin on the coffee table or walking in to a wall you could have sworn was an open passageway.

19. Kiln

Kiln Member

Steel case is alright, just skip the Tula. I've had way too many issues with dead/bad primers to trust them for defense.

20. Back2School

Back2School Member

Ok so stupid question. If I asked it before and forgot, slap me. Do you practice with self defense ammo or is it just for self defense? I mean is there really that big of a difference if you are only buying a box maybe once a year or even just once? To me practice ammo is practice ammo. If I am buying that much self defense ammo, I need to move because I must have shot a lot of people :)