The army switching to Hollow points.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lcback, Jul 8, 2015.

1. the title says it all, here is the link :http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-s-army-switching-to-hollow-point-ammunition/

I really hope this results in cheap ammo that is suitable for defense. Get lake city up there pounding out JHP faster than a cheap date on prom night.

And for the lazy

"Sources tell TTAG that the United States Army is switching from ball to hollow-point ammunition for its next generation handgun. The Army dropped the bombshell yesterday at the Modular Handgun System Industry Day in Picatinny, New Jersey. The event was held as part of the Army’s procurement process to replace the Beretta M9 handgun and the ammunition used for the gun. After making the announcement, an Army lawyer mounted the stage to mount a defense for the switch hollow-points . . .

The U.S. did not agree to a ban on expanding ammo by international treaty. And the the Army’s prepared to defend the decision in the court of international law and opinion. His core argument: countries that will denounce the use of hollow-point use the hollow points for their police forces.

The Army said it will rely on FBI data to evaluate bids for the new ammunition. It also said that it knows it will get heat for the move, but claimed the administration supported the change at the highest levels at the Department of Defense. In other words, this is as close to a done deal as it can get without a signed contract."

Copied from TTAG

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

'Bout time.

A century plus of this offal based on French anti-British propaganda is enough.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. when reading the article I remembered your write up on the "bigger is better" ideals behind 45ACP

this is definitely a good thing, and i like hearing the army rep say they are prepared to fight the position in Internationale court. If it works out well maybe the other NATO countries will follow suit

4. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I like this idea. There have been too many stories of bad guys not being phased by direct hits from hardball 5.56 and 9mm rounds. This will save American lives.

5. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Yeah, long as they use .40 or .45. That just might bring down the cost of .40 a tad. However, (there's always an however) i'm not banking on it. :rolleyes:

6. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My BIL is an maintenance engineer for Lake City ( literally five miles up the road from me), I'll ask him next time I see him

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Didn't they already use a round with a 'cavity' for superior ballistic purposes?

8. not sure about that, I know special forces have been using hollow points for years.
    Not sure why they are aloud but not infantry.

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Shame. Damn fine gun. What are they replacing it with?

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

While i understand all the safety pros, i can't see how they can justify the cost. With all the military funding cuts this seems like a rather expensive increase in costs.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes, in the 5.56. The cavity in the jacket at the nose of the bullet moved the weight of the bullet more to the rear which gave it better stability in flight. The claim was that the cavity, though it will crush, deform, and cause earlier tumbling and some minor expansion, was that the design was solely for the purposes of greater bullet stability and expansion was never an intended purpose.

...if you believe the official statement.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. SWAGA

I do, I do believe every official statement.

[​IMG]

13. I have been hearing rumor of this for a LONG TIME. The only thing that is constant through the rumors is it requires being a "Modular design" I'm guessing similar to an AR "platform" but for pistols. Not sure how that's working out. But i have seen Beretta post a few pictures of the "modular M9" on facebook they are planning on running in the trial

14. Think1st

Florida
    It sucks. I can't wait until they replace it. They should go with the Glock.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

How should we deal with this heresy? Tar and Feather? Running out on a rail? Simple burning at the stake?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Stoned to death with JHP's........

17. Think1st

Florida

You should declare me the new high-priest for bringing enlightenment to the people, that the scales might fall from their eyes and the non-shooting might hit the bullseye.

18. SWAGA

Sure, you'll get a trophy for participating....

[​IMG]

CONGRATS!!!

19. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Glock-Glock-Glock...............

20. Plus the costs of destroying the hardball ammo.