The B-day Rascal

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by tallbump, Dec 25, 2014.

1. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I'll get more pics up Friday.

She LOVED it. Taking her out to the range Friday/tomorrow for some shooting. I'll get some pics of that too

Attached Files:

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Awesome Bump!........ I'm really glad she's happy!

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Fantastic!

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

4. tallbump

Hit the range today

[​IMG]

Here's a vid of her taking her first shot. We were at the 50 yard lane for the first few shots.

http://vid11.photobucket.com/albums/a192/tallbump/Rascal/Macs%20first%20shot_zpsublisdxv.mp4

She loved it. She kept reaching for more ammo after she shot. There were other people using other lanes, which was cool because she got to learn about range rules too.

The bad news is I learned she's left eye dominant. We did most of her shots right handed. She couldn't hit the target to save her life. We did the dominant eye test and she's definitely L dominant. Tried a few shots lefty, but it felt awkward for her. Plus she started getting cold. But my shots with it were pretty consistent, so I know it's her, not the rifles. So, now I have to teach her how to shoot left. Luckily, my buddy is left handed, so he can help

5. Bull

Muahahaha!...... Another lefty joins the rank and file!......... Tell little Bump congratulations!

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Cool Stuff!

Their mother must be very attractive, they don't get it from their Old Man!!! :p :D :cool:

7. tallbump

They stole my hair :(

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

When is started shooting long(er) guns left I never looked back.
    Takes a little bit to get the fine motor skills you have right but other then that it's all fine.

9. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Tall that is cool. Thanks for sharing.

10. EvilE424

EvilE424 Death to Dishonor Lifetime Supporter

That's awesome tall. Glad she loved it

11. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for the pic. She can train with her right I to work just fine when shooting just practice at home with her only using her right I. I had the same issues as a kid.

12. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    My wife is left-eye dominant but right-handed. That's what we do with her, too. If people can learn to shoot with non-dominant hands, they can learn to shoot with non-dominant eyes. That's how it's gone for my wife, at least.

13. tallbump

When she was shooting Right handed, she said she was seeing double. If I stood behind her, the barrel was way off to the right, but she insisted her front sight was on the target.

When we switched to left handed she wasn't seeing double anymore.

We only tried left for a few shots, then she got cold, so I put a few rounds through it to make sure it wasn't the rifle, than we took off.

If she needs to shoot lefty, no big deal. Using the Rascal shouldn't be bad, since it's only a single shot.

I found a Savage youth .22 Mark II left handed for under $200 on Buds. It's a left handed bolt she can use for hunting.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_975/products_id/24841/Savage+50702+MKIIGLY+22LR+AT+YOUTH+LH+WD

So, if she gets into shooting/hunting, we can just grab that

14. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    That'll be great if she can pick up shooting left-handed. In the event that she has difficulties, you could also try putting a card or something over her left eye while she shoots. That way, it will be out of the equation, and she'll be able to better develop her right eye.

The double vision she described was from her brain trying to decide which eye to use while sighting in the rifle, and it was cocked off to the right because she was looking at the wrong set of sights between the two sets that she saw doubled up.

Covering that left eye will take care of that and reduce the eye strain.

15. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Excellent advise.
    And really I've never shot a lefty long gun only righties that I shoot lefty.
    I see no need for the bolt handle to be on the same side as the trigger hand.
    You have lotsa stuff to try at least.
    Shooting with an eye patch as said being one of them.
    I think it's pretty cool if you can shoot ambidextrous and I think it's important you emphasize she's not strange or weird in any way.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  16. Bull

I had one lefty bolt gun, and really, I didn't like it as much as a righty bolt..... Now I'm fixing to put a Boyd's left hand stock, on my right hand action Ruger American, but doubt I buy a lefty action again.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Much evidence research and experience has determined that she needs to shoot to her dominant eye. Period. No ifs ands or buts. She can shoot with her dominant hand when she's shooting pistols by cocking her head over a little bit more and shooting to her dominant eye but when she shoots with a rifle she needs to shoulder it on her left shoulder and shoot left handed. It will be 1000 times easier for her to shoot accurately and that will increase the FUN of it.

Shoot to her dominant eye.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

18. tallbump

Someone suggested a red dot sight? What do ya'll think of that?

I do plan on teaching her to shoot lefty. If she can use a right handed rifle great, if I have to buy her a lefty one, I will. I guess that really only matters for ejecting right?

19. Bull

I wouldn't bother with a lefty bolt...... Shooting from a bench, I prefer a right handed action much more than a left, and I shoot exclusively lefty rifle.

20. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I'm one of those weird shooters that can shoot ambidextrously with no issues switching between the dominant or weak eye.

Focus on the basics first. I would personally suggest that you get her marksmanship skills up shooting with her dominant eye and left handed, as suggested previously. I wouldn't worry about left or right-handed actions until she's "good" enough to go with you and pick out the next one for herself. She's not like us, no bad habits to break.

As to the red dot. I've known a few people who put raised RDS/scopes on their long guns so they could shoot whatever hand dominant they were and still sight in with their opposite side dominant eye.