The best AK for me?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Kri, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Kri

Kri Member

So i've been researching loads of AK's for my next gun (that's what I go to do when I don't come to read and post besides working lol)

I generally don't want a WASR or a CA made AK....but there is an M70 model from CA I researched with a milled reciever and is told to be a higher quality from the parts they are built with.

It's a bit pricy for the series from Arsenal, but the SAM7SF caught my eye. They call it "The game changer", but I don't think it's changing the game too much.

The reason is because if i'm going to pay 1300+ on an AK (which is meant to be CHEAP) then it better be promised to have better manufacturing than say a CA. I don't think that voids the possibility of normal malfunctions, but I can see it still being a better option for the future.

This AK will be my home defense, my choice when the Turds go flying.
    All i'm asking for is a well built milled receiver, doesn't consist of cheap metals, and has a folding stock. Weight is not a problem for me. So if someone could direct me to exactly what i'm looking for (besides the SAM7), I would appreciate that very much!!!

2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You are looking for something other than an AK.;)

Seriously...$1300 for a milled AK is utterly ridiculous. I know, that's the going price...but people are stupid.

And truly, there's nothing wrong with CA anymore, they've been making fine guns for a while now.

However, if it's worth it to you...by all means, get you some.:)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Ouch! Glad I'm happy with my $450 SAR 1.

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I bought a Saiga that was already converted to pistol grip (actually my wife bought it for me for fathers day) for 600.00. It is not milled, but it runs flawless!

5. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Allegedly the Egyptian AK's are high quality. I wouldn't mind a Yugo either.
    I'm sorry we euthanized our two resident AK guru's......

6. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

CAI Zastava NPAP M70 is a greating shooting rifle!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. superbeast1098

superbeast1098 Member

My CA WASR 10/63 runs extremely well.... Best $500 I have spent....

I dont see the need to spend $1000+ on an AK47.... The cheaper ones tend to run just as good as the more expensive ones... Who needs the fancy tactical furniture anyways????

I guess its personal preference...

If I had a $1300 budget for an AK, I would buy the less expensive one and spend the rest of the money on magazines and ammo.....

8. With the going rate of an AK going up. and the AR in the 600's. I see no reason anymore to buy an AK

I used to be all for them. Loved them. They also only costed 350-450. and AR was 800

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

My buddy has me convinced that I need an AR in 7.62x39 to take advantage of the accuracy, ergonomics, and versatility of the AR platform pared with the inexpensive nature of steel cased 7.62x39 imports and their ballistic superiority over the 5.56 NATO.

All it takes is money, which I don't have for the project yet (if ever).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  10. If i had a dollar for every project i said "Man i would do/Buy that if i had the money"

I would probably have enough money to buy that AR :p

11. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I don't know where you are getting your advice from, but the current CA built WASR-10 AK's are good AK's. I have a couple of AK-47 WASR-10's and a AES10B. All of them are fine and well made by CA. As for a milled vs. a stamped receiver for an AK; I personally prefer a stamped receiver. The AK bolt tends to hammer pretty hard and over time a milled receiver can develop cracks due to the rigidity. A stamped receiver dissipates the recoil much better. It's your money, but for $499.00 you can get a WASR-10 AK-47 and have the other $1K left for ammunition and 75 round drums for SHTF.

Just my opinion though.... ;)

12. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Yugo M70 AB2 underfolder for $529 right now at J&G
    http://www.jgsales.com/yugo-m70ab2-...underfolder-stock,-grenade-sight.-p-1388.html

Or VZ2008 at PSA for $399
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ms-vz2008-sporter-rifle-7-62x39-ri1554-x.html

No reason at all to pay 1K+ to get a VERY quality AKM or AK type

13. Branth

Branth Member

I've heard bad things about taking the X39 into the AR platform - Strongly tapered cases + straight magwell = bad juju

Also, CA is Century Arms, I take it? if I may be permitted a side question, does anyone here have experience with the Century C91?

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

No, you've heard right.

Same buddy is right in the middle of developing and bringing to market, in conjunction with a "major" magazine manufacturer, 7.62x39 mags for such chambered AR's.

I've seen his documentation (including video of demos running hundreds of rounds straight with no malfunction). His design works. Supposed to be going to a military trial/demo this week.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I have one and LOVE it. Stamped receiver but it works flawlessly!

You could always get a parts kit also and find a nice milled receiver stripped and pre-drilled and build yourself one.

Or another option is the VZ2008. Czeck AK type, doesn't accept AK mags but does have a nice milled receiver with folding stock and from what I hear are great weapons.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/vz2008czechriflesemiautowmagsetc

Or even one of these:
    http://www.classicfirearms.com/cent...illed-receiver-chrome-lined-w-brown-laminated

http://www.classicfirearms.com/yugo-m70abm-milled-rifle-semi-auto762x39

Milled AK with a more classic look.

If it was me I would go with the VZ2008. But the Milled Yugo would be a close second!

***EDIT*** and WOW on the price at PSA for that... I have been thinking about it for awhile but that may be to good to pass up!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  16. Stogies

Stogies Member

Centurion C39 comes to mind, does have a milled receiver and is US made.

17. What Stogies said, I was looking at a AK before I bought an ar-10 and the centurion 39 ak has some really good points for about $650.

It's a milled receiver and is made 100% in the USA which means you don't have to worry about staying 922r complaint if you change things on the gun.

For 1300 dollars I would probably go AR or AK. For the kind of money you can do a lot of different things like buy a ton of ammo and mags, a different upper like 300 black out, you could probably build a ar under 4.5lbs for 1300 bucks.

There's nothing wrong with the ak either and reliable goes in the favor of the AK but unless your dragging them behind a truck they'll both do fine.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I think the best way to get accuracy with the 7.62x39 is to simply avoid the cheap surplus ammo. Once you do that, you can start worrying about how good the barrel is, the trigger, and most importantly, the sights used. Any AK is going to be somewhat inaccurate if you are using the OEM sights with their oh-so-short sight radius.