Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone gonna watch this its coming on in a bit..says "a daring survival experiment" on the Discovery channel. I may watch it and be back later with thoughts. Feel free to chime in with yours.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I'm going to try and remember to watch tonight. I have extremely low expectations and unless it's much better than I think it will be I'll not watch it a second time.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow first half hour down and its good and bad IMO. Its probably how people would behave ...but the 1st group letting 4 strangers into their secured (well it could be, they ain't doing it by the book) location is a good way to end up dead. First lesson choose your group carefully and anyone who believes human rights come into play in this type of situation needs to find another group. 2 smart people in the original group...One guy who said don't let them in! and the other guy who started searching the 2nd groups stuff. Of course the liberal chick said that was unacceptable..shes first to die in rl scenario. More after its over. It is instructive on how to exploit people at any rate.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i didn't think it was too bad, pretty smart on the water filtration system and the batteries. i would not have let the other people in, given them some food/water and send them on their way. i'll continue to watch for a couple more weeks just for shats and grins. there aint nuttin on tuesday nites anyway.

·
Registered
322 Posts
there aint nuttin on tuesday nites anyway.
[/quote] I`ll give it another week or two.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After watching the whole thing I come away with the impression that there are alot of people in the cities who are going to die AFTER the disaster/attack because of naivetvity and stupidity. Makes me glad I'm not a city dweller any longer. I think the show might be valuable to point out some things I maybe haven't thought of, but more as I said as a study of how people tick and how to exploit weaknesses in a real survival situation. I mean really the original group took 4 people in who offered nothing at the door but more mouths to feed. I might have bartered with them if they had anything, but they would not be moving in.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
You have to remember that regardless of how realistic it is for them, in the back of their minds they know that they are perfectly safe and that it's just an experiment for a TV show.

I watched it and didn't really care much one way or the other. I would like to see more utilization of supplies and how they build and do stuff than I would the social interaction. Some of it seemed like something you would see on VH1 between The Rock of Love and The Surreal Life.

I'll keep watching it though, maybe the editing will improve over time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The show is pretty interesting, I'd like to see a show like this last 6 months to a year.....not 10 weeks for a real feel of how they will survive.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
psychiatrist have proven that they some will actually get caught up in the scenerio like it is real. i think it would be better if there would be hidden and i mean hidden cameras that could zoom in on their every move instead of a camera man following them around. we'll see

·
Registered
96 Posts
After watching the whole thing I come away with the impression that there are alot of people in the cities who are going to die AFTER the disaster/attack because of naivetvity and stupidity. Makes me glad I'm not a city dweller any longer. I think the show might be valuable to point out some things I maybe haven't thought of, but more as I said as a study of how people tick and how to exploit weaknesses in a real survival situation. I mean really the original group took 4 people in who offered nothing at the door but more mouths to feed. I might have bartered with them if they had anything, but they would not be moving in.
+1

·
Registered
21 Posts
I removed the series from my DVR after recording only 2 episodes. To un-realistic for me. I'd rather be on my own than be around the people that are getting overly mad over every little thing. They should be banished. :D
The people are grandstanding for the cameras. I also don't care for the obvious placement of goats for a food supply. Yea that's realistic for an inner-city environment.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I removed the series from my DVR after recording only 2 episodes. To un-realistic for me. I'd rather be on my own than be around the people that are getting overly mad over every little thing. They should be banished. :D
I agree. If I were to find myself in that situation with those people, I'd leave. In a real situation, those people are going to die.
The people are grandstanding for the cameras. I also don't care for the obvious placement of goats for a food supply. Yea that's realistic for an inner-city environment.
You need to drive around LA and check out the signs: "Se Vende Chivos" is not uncommon.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I wish they would focus more on building projects and less on the "reality showness" of it.

If they would have set some educated people up in a similar situation, but made it more of a show to explain how you can use what you have and possible projects instead of making a reality show out of it, it would be more fun to watch.

·
1,792 Posts
I wish they would focus more on building projects and less on the "reality showness" of it.
Yep, However I still watch or DVR to watch as it has some ideas and gives a little window into the mindset.

One thing must be remembered is, this is TV. So take what you can, IE wood gas, Battery farm, and the little inverter gen set.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I'm watching this tonight, I've caught it here and there but haven't followed it every week, but they are a long way in and they're trying to build transmitters and receivers? I'm sorry but 1. why waste time and energy on non life sustaining efforts? 2. They are in a city..not a rural area am I seriously suppossed to believe they can't go scavenge a radio from a truck, service car, store etc if they really feel the need to try and communicate? I mean they're wasting time and energy to build a 100 year old spark gap transmitter? Who's going to be monitoring that, if anyone is still around? This show is getting just stupid, and I caught the one where someone with a key came in and instead of repelling them they let them in. I guess its devolved from a good case study for survival I thought it would be to just exercises in building useless things because they can. In a world where they don't know anyone's intentions they're putting up huge signs to especially the SOS to draw attention to themselves with the implication they are weak. Its went from eh I might watch to I'm done with this stupidness.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
What got me was they have no real "portable" weapons to speak of other than sticks, an axe, etc. Yet, the one guy finds a small number of shotgun shells and instead of rigging up a few shotguns/booby traps out of water pipe he dumps them out to get the powder for his fireworks display to "signal their missing member". Huh? It's not like the guy doesn't know where their base is, if he is missing under the scenario represented in the series it's because he is either incapacitated due to injury, is dead, or being held against his will by others out there. The first two, sending up a flare is not gonna help one bit and the last scenario will lead undesireables right to them. Which is what looks like happens in next weeks previews.

I also loved the bit about the Colonists losing weight due to the lack of food, extra exhertion levels, etc. With a couple exceptions, losing 6-11 lbs for most of them would probably do them good. People pay big bucks to get less spectacular results with diet plans, health clubs, etc. Granted, long term they would probably continue to lose weight down to a harmful level if they can't find a more plentiful food supply, but that is not gonna happen before the "experiment" is over.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
I think the last two episodes made it abundantly clear that they are not all engineers and mechanics but actors, I will probably still watch it, but I am just saying I am not buying the reality show aspect of it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.