Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watching this new show on the discovery channel? The first show was pretty interesting. I want to be on the show and try the experiment now. :cool2:

The Colony is a controlled experiment to see exactly what it would take to survive and rebuild under these circumstances. For 10 weeks, a group of 10 volunteers, whose backgrounds and expertise represent a cross-section of modern society, are isolated in an urban environment outside Los Angeles and tasked with creating a livable society.

The Colony Begins

The Colony on Discovery

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i watched. totally unrealistic. they gave them EVERYTHING they needed to get the job done. there was no improvisation nor field expiedient substitution like there would be in the real world. how many warehouses filled with misc junk would have brand new rolls of wire, dozens of battery terminals, plumbing parts, and the equipment and supplies ot make an earth sand filterration system (all in factory new condition mind you) just lying about ready to be used? lets see them ripping wire out of cars to wire up batteries for light, scrounging plumbing out of abandoned houses and stuff like that. any idiot can put together a bunch of pre positioned parts to make things. the only true improvisation i saw was when they ripped apart a coffe maker and built a percolator to make coffee.

SW

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Now maybe if they included roaming bands of hungry zombies ....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can still learn something from the experiment. They do have roaming bands of people but no zombies sorry. 8)
I was interested to see how some of the colonists got more aggressive and some became more scared and non aggressive when confronted by the marauders.
I think taking control of a WalMart would be a good idea, if you had enough people to secure it. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
If the SHTF, holding onto a walmart will be like playing king of the mountain. Only upside is that they are everywhere. Downside is they don't have any ammo in stock.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the SHTF, holding onto a walmart will be like playing king of the mountain. Only upside is that they are everywhere. Downside is they don't have any ammo in stock.
Lol so true about the ammo, except mine gets in small amounts of 9mm, 40SW,.45ACP and .223 regularly I know the shipping times and dates better than the people that work in the store LOL!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Lol so true about the ammo, except mine gets in small amounts of 9mm, 40SW,.45ACP and .223 regularly I know the shipping times and dates better than the people that work in the store LOL!
Same here. The mrs works there, so I know when its in and get a 10% discount.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Same here. The mrs works there, so I know when its in and get a 10% discount.
Too bad they don't get .380 in stock. I'm about ready to sell my .380 and get a CCW .45ACP anyways.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
Just a question I notice lately alot of people saying they're going to sell their .380 cuz of lack of ammo...can't you reload? Seems like a good excuse to get into the hobby.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do reload but that has gotten just as expensive as buying live ammo. The 380 just didn't fit into my plan anymore. The 380 was my wife's, now that she has a 995, a 9mm handgun just made much more sense on so many levels. Affordability, availibility, safety (didn't want her mixing the two rounds up), and even comfort. Her 380 was a Sig P230, even in 380 it had a good deal of snap for her. I got her a Steyr M9 and the recoil is extremely soft. This my first experience with Steyr handguns but so far I think its a good fit.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Yeah reloading isnt what it used to be but theres other reasons for doing it.

It makes sense to reduce inventory of some calibers, Im seriously considering getting out of 9mm except a few boxes and one pistol. Just not fitting in with things as Ive learned along the way. Much rather have larger stores of 7.62 NATO and 45ACP as those are the ones I find little fault. Even the 40SW is up in the air as Ive decided at some point keeping too many calibers just taxes resources too badly. So right now deciding to sell off three rifles and two pistols and reinvest in larger stores of the ones mentioned does make sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.