Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that anytime you buy something used you could be opening "a can of worms". In my infinite wisdom I bought a used Weed Eater riding mower for $200 for out at my cabin. I did this because money's tight right now and I have nowhere I consider to be secure to put it.
The seller started it for me and explained that it leaked oil from one of the transaxle seals. He then went on to tell me he was going to fix it himself and sell the mower for $400.
I bought it as is and took it home. I went through a bit of hell finding the part and ordering it. The axle seal costs about $4.50. The manufacturer doesn't sell to the general public so I ordered through a local business and wound up paying $15 for expedited shipping so I could get out there and cut the lawn before I needed a brush hog!
Two weeks later the part still wasn't in. My son suddenly had this burning desire to borrow my truck but wanted the mower out of it so he could load it with wood to redo his deck. I explained that my ramps were out at the cabin and I had no way to get off until I fixed it.
My next adventure was to try and get the wheel off (which someone else had tried and failed on). I jacked it up, took the valve stem out of the tire, heated the wheel up cherry red around the axle and mildly wailed on it with a hand sledge. After about three hours, I managed to move it about an 1/8th of an inch and admitted defeat. I sprayed the wheel liberally with Kroil and decided I would try again when the part came in. My buddy pointed out that I should put oil in the rear end and be sure it even worked given all the fun I was having. Meanwhile my son was calling every day "to see how I was doing".
I should probably mention I'm out on worker's comp. with two bad knees that are really screwing me up when it comes to getting anything done. I decided to take a ride out to my cabin to see how bad things were. I'm pretty lucky that I have good neighbors both at home and out at my cabin and one of them actually brush hogged the larger area and spread some stone for me in my driveway. This type of thing makes me very angry with myself because I'm so limited as to what I can do, sooo I climbed into the back of my truck after jacking up the rear end of the mower and putting fluid in it. I got on the mower and started it and the rear end moved both in forward and reverse while it started pissing oil out of the bad seal. I shut it off, went to step down onto a ramp rung and my right knee promptly went out with no warning! I split my skull open and wound up with a knot over my left eye and I still look like I'm Hindu two weeks later with a red dot in the middle of my forehead!
The part finally came in and to my amazement the wheel came off easily after driving around all this time with it in the back of my truck soaked in penetrating oil. I watched a You Tube video where a guy popped the old seal out with a screw driver and drove the new one in like nothing. I was not about to be that lucky!
My seal is captured in the housing so I had to take the other wheel off, remove the rear end and split the housing to change the seal. If I knew this ahead of time I'd of ordered all new seals!
Now the it's together and back in place with no leaks and working fine ....except now the engine is surging at any throttle point. I changed the plugs, pulled the carb,/fuel pump, disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled the unit and tomorrow I'll put it back on. The unit has new gas in it but I still need to change out the fuel filter and when that's done, hopefully this will take care of the major problems!

·
Premium Member
35,988 Posts
Thank goodness you’re not paying anyone for labor on this job!:D

·
Administrator
24,797 Posts
I had that issue with my craftsman and ended up fixing it by taking the valve cover off and adjusting them. I had a 17hp Silver Series B&S motor.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I re-installed the cleaned out carb and fuel pump, both of which had quite a bit of crud along with a partially blocked pilot jet. I disconnected the fuel filter to see if it had any water in it (low point) and was surprised to see chunks coming out of the down stream side of it! I'm wondering if the filter is disintegrating, anyway I ordered two fuel filters with an in-line shutoff from Amazon for $8.50 and they'll get installed as soon as they get here. The surging has stopped and the engine smooths right out on acceleration now so the only other issue so far is it (the tractor)will need front wheel bearings next year. The worst appears to be over(he says cringing and crossing his fingers)and who knows, maybe the knock on the head helped. I know a lot of people that would say it couldn't of hurt!

·
Super Moderator
28,537 Posts
and who knows, maybe the knock on the head helped
Come on out to Ohio (Dayton area). I'd be glad to hit you upside the head with a stick any time you want. No charge.

Glad it's working better for you.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: fatal-bert33
1 - 7 of 7 Posts